WeatherTab browser hijacker may promote potentially dangerous websites
WeatherTab is a misleading Chome browser extension developed and maintained by Tightrope Interactive. While its colorful design and promises to get local weather forecasts, sunset/sunrise time all at one place – New Tab page may seem appealing to many, NoVirus.uk team expressed concern about the exact behavior that this extension practices.
Its developer does not explicitly inform wanna-be users that the New tab will not be the only modification. The WeatherTab virus will also change a default start page and search provider to http://www.weathertab.org, set new tab URL, and install doubtful web browser's toolbars. Due to these modification and the consequences that they may lead to, WeatherTab virus has been classified as a browser hijacker and potentially unwanted program (PUP).
WeatherTab hijack is an unpleasant occurrence, and computer users should avoid is as much as they can. Once installed, it adds an extension that alters settings in Chrome without even touching them. For example, your homepage and new tab page will be changed, but you will not see these changes in your settings. To revert them, you will need to remove WeatherTab using instructions provided below or automatically with Reimage or similar program.
Questions about WeatherTab virus
The aim of this program is to advertise a new search engine that is not that popular among computer users yet. We have discovered some suspicious details about this search engine that indicate that it is not as trustworthy as it may seem to be. After entering a search query, we have noticed an URL change in the address bar – firstly, our researcher got redirected to Trovi.com and only then to search results. It is quite suspicious considering that Trovi is one of the most infamous browser hijackers in the world.
Besides, it appears that WeatherTab is powered by ClientConnect Ltd, an untrustworthy company that is known to be responsible for the existence of other browser hijackers such as Trovigo.com, Look4Like, and ClearSearches.com. All these browser hijackers have been developed for one and same purpose – to present sponsored links and cause redirections to various affiliate websites.
There is a huge possibility that these websites can be untrustworthy or even malicious and might introduce you to infectious content, such as fake software updates or spyware and malware-related programs, so for your own sake, stay away from such sites and NEVER agree to install anything from them. If your security is important to you, protect your computer by completing WeatherTab removal.
Browser hijackers don't ask for permission to be installed directly
You can download this search engine from its official website, weathertab(.)org, or add it to your browser from Google Chrome Store. However, if this hijacker didn't come to your system either one or another way, then it is apparent that it has been installed on your PC together with another free program, maybe a potentially unwanted one. This means that you do not know how to control installation setups and most likely you rush to complete them as quickly as you can. Wrong!
Instructions on how to remove WeatherTab
If you have discovered WeatherTab virus in your browser, you probably were surprised; if this program has been installed without your knowledge, there is a great chance that several unwanted applications have been added to the system, too. Therefore, we believe that you should clean up the system by running an automatic tool for WeatherTab removal. It will help you to find and delete all unwanted spyware and malware variants from the system.
You can remove WeatherTab automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove WeatherTab virus, follow these steps:
Erase WeatherTab from Windows systems
To remove WeatherTab entirely, please look at Add/Remove Programs panel using instructions provided below and delete all suspicious apps related to WeatherTab, Trovi or ClientConnect, Ltd.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall WeatherTab and related programs
Here, look for WeatherTab or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove WeatherTab from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XGoogle Chrome
Remove WeatherTab from Mac OS X system
Follow instructions presented below and search for files and components related to either ClientConnect, Ltd, Trovi or WeatherTab.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for WeatherTab or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Delete WeatherTab from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select WeatherTab and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete WeatherTab removal.