010001 virus Removal Guide
What is 010001 ransomware?
010001 ransomware — a cryptovirus that demands a $500 ransom for encrypted files
010001 ransomware is a crypto-virus that runs a system scan to find targeted files and then encrypts most of your personal data.
010001 ransomware is a crypto-demanding cyber threat that encodes users' data by using sophisticated AES encryption method. Although the first victims were discovered in Japan at the beginning of November 2018, ransomware focuses on English-speakers. The main goal of this type of malware is to encrypt users' files and then demand a ransom in cryptocurrency for the alleged decryption tool. When the process of encryption is done, the virus marks each of the files with the .010001 file extension and generates ransom note called tmpsfn_as.txt that gets placed on every folder on the computer. This crypto-extortionist is reportedly demanding $500 in Bitcoin which is still one of the most popular cryptocurrencies.
|Distribution||Infected documents in spam email|
|Removal||Use ReimageIntego and remove 010001 ransomware|
When 010001 ransomware virus gets on your system, it doesn't start encrypting your data right away. The first step in the system changes, including the following activities:
- changes in the computer's Registry;
- installation of malicious files and virus components, e.g. Tor browser;
- different tasks and commands added.
All these changes help the 010001 ransomware stay on the system for longer than expected. Besides, the virus gets the ability to recover itself after removal. When ransomware is on the system, it runs the following commands to keep your antivirus tools from detecting the malware:
- sc stop VVS
- sc stop wscsvc
- sc stop WinDefend
- sc stop wuauserv
- sc stop BITS
- sc stop ERSvc
- sc stop WerSvc.
Additionally, 010001 virus starts the encryption process. Firstly, it scans the system to find targeted files. As a result, most of the stored personal files get encrypted by using AES encryption algorithm. This method allows ransomware to change the original code of various files, including pictures, documents, video or music files. Typically, they are marked with the .010001 appendix.
Files encrypted by 010001 ransomware become useless. The victim also receives the ransom note in a text file called tmpsfn_as.txt that reads the following:
ATTENTION!!!! Your personal files are encrypted!
To recover the files, you must:
* Send 500$ to the wallet 123PyVpWMSFW6V2qVyywRz7zhEo3K82M8K
* Send email to “email@example.com” indicating the reference “11111111111111110000000011110001” when you have paid.
* We will send a decryption program to recover your files.
* Make a backup of this file.
# HELPS #
– How do I buy digital currency with a credit or debit card in the US?
– How do I send digital currency to another wallet?
– How to Buy Bitcoin on Coinbase, Step by Step
Unfortunately, 010001 ransomware, just like many other threats, is not decryptable. In fact, encrypted files can be encrypted, but only by using extra copies of encrypted files or third-party tools. DO NOT PAY THE RANSOM! Experts always stress out that it is not recommended as there is no guarantee that hackers won't take your money and vanish away.
You need to remove 010001 ransomware because this is a dangerous threat that can start another encryption procedure on your system. Once you do so, move to files' recovery. We have prepared numerous ways that could help you recover your files. However, note that there are important conditions, e.g. if the virus deletes Shadow Volume copies or not, and similar.
The easiest way to ensure a full 010001 ransomware removal is running a scan with anti-malware and anti-virus tools. You can also clean the system and get rid of malicious components by using ReimageIntego. When you know that your device is clean, you can restore your files safely.
010001 ransomware virus is a dangerous threat that demands $500 in Bitcoin for encoded files. However, paying the ransom doesn't guarantee that your files will be recovered.
The virus can be uploaded on the device directly from the email
The most common way of spreading ransomware is spam email attachments and malicious files planted as legitimate documents. Hackers misuse names of reputable companies and services and pose as them when infected emails need to be sent around the world. The spam email campaigns distribute commonly found files in the form of:
- Banking document;
- Order information.
Safe-looking documents can be infected with malicious macros and distribute direct ransomware payload or infect the computer with malware which is designed to spread ransomware further on the system. You should avoid opening emails from suspicious companies or even services you know but don't use because malware creators tend to use legitimate names. As this particular ransomware when the last word in the ransom note is Google.
010001 ransomware termination requires your close attention
When taking care of 010001 ransomware removal, you need to remember that you are dealing with the serious malware seeking to stay on the system for as long as possible. Pay attention that security experts do not recommend trying to get rid of such threats manually. It is a malicious virus that should be terminated by using ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. If malware is blocking these tools, try rebooting your system to Safe Mode before scanning the system. Then, make sure that the ransomware is deleted.
Once you remove 010001 ransomware completely, you can move to files' recovery. Unfortunately, if you do not have backups of your encrypted files, you can trust only third-party tools that we selected below. There is no information if 010001 files virus is capable of deleting Shadow Volume copies, so you should try each of the provided tips.
Getting rid of 010001 virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
To remove 010001 ransomware from the device entirely, you may need to reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking first. You can follow this guide to know how:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove 010001 using System Restore
Restore your computer to a previous state and get rid of the virus this way. Try System Restore feature:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of 010001. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove 010001 from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by 010001, you can use several methods to restore them:
Employ Data Recovery Pro and restore encrypted files
You can get your files back after 010001 ransomware encryption. You may also try Data Recovery Pro for your accidentally deleted data
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by 010001 ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature helps in data recovery when you have no backups
You can successfully restore data after 010001 ransomware attack with Windows Previous Versions. However, System Restore should be enabled before
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer restores encoded files after ransomware attack
ShadowExplorer works for encrypted data if Shadow Volume Copies remain on the system
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Decryption is not possible yet
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from 010001 and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.