8chan virus Removal Guide
What is 8chan ransomware?
8chan ransomware is a file locker that demands payment for encrypted data
8chan ransomware is a newly discovered crypto-virus that encrypts user's personal files using a sophisticated encryption algorithm. Ransomware infection infiltrates target machines via malicious email attachment and renames each of the files by adding one of these extensions: [random].email@example.com or [random].firstname.lastname@example.org. Victims who would like to get their data back are requested to pay a ransom in Bitcoin cryptocurrency. They are informed about the situation in the text file that is created and inserted into every infected folder on the machine.
|File extension||[random].email@example.com or [random].firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ransom note||HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILESemail@example.com.TXT or HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILESfirstname.lastname@example.org.TXT|
|Distribution||Spam emails, malicious websites, etc.|
|To get rid of 8chan, we recommend downloading and installing FortectIntego or Malwarebytes|
The name of the ransom note used by ransomware to warn its victims might vary and mostly depends on the version of the virus. At the moment, there are two names known to security researchers: HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILESemail@example.com.TXT or HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILESfirstname.lastname@example.org.TXT. Nevertheless, users should simply remove 8chan ransomware and ignore their messages.
8chan ransomware does not immediately lock all files on the machine. First, the computer is compromised by malware modifying registry keys and other settings on Windows OS. This ensures that the virus is booted with every operating system startup.
Soon after that, it renames every file present into a different name, rendering it useless. For example, a file called picture.jpg will be turned into FpHbBbNTesX4aK9KSgbU6Avxb7s4DTg5bYs.email@example.com or similar. To be able to open it again, victims are required to obtain a key that cybercrooks possess. For that, hackers ask for a payment in return.
They provide the following information inside the ransom note:
Your files are encrypted!
Your personal identifier: –
To decrypt files, please contact us by email:
As you can see, users are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org to get further instructions. Because the activity is highly illegal, hackers do not accept payments in any other ways apart from cryptocurrency transactions. The most popular digital currency currently is Bitcoin and is widely used by ransomware authors.
The size of ransom is not stated. If you thought about contacting creators of 8chan ransomware to pay them – don’t! Even if the amount of money required by them is relatively small (typically, ransom size ranges between $300 and $1500), never contact cybercriminals. This will encourage them to create more malware in the future as their illegal attempts to monetize on unsuspecting users will become successful.
Thus, instead of paying hackers, proceed with 8chan ransomware removal. Manual elimination is not recommended and is very unsafe (can lead to system damage); therefore, download and install reputable anti-malware software (such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes) and run in in Safe Mode with Networking. Only then you can recover your data using a backup or third-party software.
8chan ransomware is a file locker that enters users' machines via malicious file attachments in spam emails
Ransomware infections are more likely to occur if you are careless online
Despite popular belief, ransomware does not infect machines out of thin air. Users are typically at fault themselves. To avoid malware and other harmful viruses, such as trojan horses or spyware, security experts recommend following these simple rules:
- Do not carelessly open every single email that comes your way. Ransomware authors often employ bots that are cable of sending our thousands of emails to users. These phishing emails typically have a .txt, .pdf, .doc or similar file attached. If you open the contaminated file, the virus' payload will be executed immediately;
- Keep your operating system and software up to date. Hackers often exploit software vulnerabilities to contaminate as many computers as possible. Thus, patching your applications and OS on time might save you from a lot of stress;
- Employ a robust security software with real-time protection feature;
- Keep your files backed up on a remote server, such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
Eliminate 8chan ransomware automatically
As we already mentioned, manual 8chan removal should never be attempted. This procedure can only be executed by professionals. Therefore, users should not wait and install malware removal tool, such as FortectIntego or Malwarebytes. This software will eliminate all components that belong to this virus and will take care of Windows registry.
8chan virus might block security software from starting. In that case, reboot your PC in Safe Mode with Networking as explained below. As soon as you remove 8chan ransomware, you can attempt file recovery.
Getting rid of 8chan virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
You need to start security software in Safe Mode with Networking before attempting 8chan elimination:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove 8chan using System Restore
Get rid of ransomware by using System Restore:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of 8chan. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove 8chan from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by 8chan, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try Data Recovery Pro
Data Recovery Pro is a professional software used to recover files that were accidentally deleted or damaged otherwise. Security researchers noted that in some cases it can also recover files affected by ransomware.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by 8chan ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature might be useful
This method will only be effective if you had System Restore enabled. Besides, you can only recover one file at the time; thus, getting all data back might be impossible.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
This program can help recover your files if the virus did not delete shadow volume copies that are created by Windows by default.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
No decryptor is available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from 8chan and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.