BlackRuby virus Removal Guide
What is BlackRuby ransomware?
Black Ruby ransomware – dangerous virus that adds coinminer to the system right after infecting it
Black Ruby is not a typical ransomware-type virus which seeks to encrypt valuable information for extortion purposes. After encrypting users' files with hybrid RSA and AES encryption, marking them with .BlackRuby extension and dropping the how-to-decrypt the-files.txt ransom note on the desktop, this malware infects the system with coinminer and uses its resources for mining Monero. The last interesting fact related to Black Ruby ransomware is that it avoids Iranian users by identifying them with the help of their IP addresses.
|Versions||BlackRuby 2; BlackRuby Light|
|Operating systems targeted||Windows OS|
|Encryption algorythm||AES and RSA|
|Main dangers||The loss of personal information; greatly decreased computer's speed because of mining|
|Elimination||To get rid of this malware, run a full system scan with ReimageIntego. Then, proceed to data recovery.|
Users who got infected with this crypto-virus are demanded to pay $650 in BTC for the decryption key and contact the crooks via TheBlackRuby@Protonmail.com email. A full ransom note reads:
We are always your backers and guardian of your information at this multi-day banquet and be sure that no one in the world can take it from you except for us who extracts this precious stone.
We need a two-sided cooperation in developing cybersecurity knowledge. The background to this cooperation is a mutual trust, which will result in peace and tranquility, you must pay $ 650 (USD) worth of Bitcoins for restore your system to the previous state and you are free to choose to stay in this situation or return to the normal.
Do not forget that your opportunity is limited . From these limits you can create golden situations . Be sure we will help you in this way and to know that having a black ruby does not always mean riches. You and your system are poor, poor knowledge of cybersecurity and lack of security on your system!
Criminals also have mentioned that they are the only ones who can help their victims and give Black Ruby decryptor. Even though desperate people might fall for these promises, we can assure you that there are alternative ways how you can get back the access to your files. Thus, do NOT pay the ransom!
The ransom note of Black Ruby ransomware claims that its developers are trustworthy people seeking to lure people into making the transaction. However, experts have found that they secretly deliver Monero miner called XMRig on every infected system. As a result, the malware exploits computer's resources to mine cryptocurrency and leaves no CPU power for completing other vital system processes. This can permanently damage your PC if appropriate actions are not taken!
BlackRuby ransomware is not only designed for extortion purposes but also delivers XMRig to mine Monero cryptocurrency.
For this reason, we encourage you to remove Black Ruby ransomware right now. As it is mentioned before, this ransomware has additional malicious programs which can disguise as legitimate system processes and trick you into damaging your computer during the elimination.
Therefore, the safest option would be to perform the automatic Black Ruby removal. ReimageIntego is perfect for people who seek for easy-to-use security software. Download it and scan your system thoroughly. After the elimination, you will be able to proceed to data recovery. Check the alternative ways on how to retrieve your files without paying the ransom at the end of this article.
Ransomware is delivered with the help of spam emails
Over the years, methods of ransomware distribution have significantly evolved. Now criminals have skills to develop email letters which disguise as invoices from well-known companies. Be aware that they look incredibly convincing and legitimate. For this reason, many people are tricked to open the malicious attachment it holds and infiltrate ransomware on their systems.
Since criminals have noticed the success in using deceptive techniques for ransomware distribution, they found another, similarly successful method — fake software updates or cracks. Experts from NoVirus.uk warn that peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites and intrusive ads might be potentially dangerous.
Hackers take advantage of people who aim to get legitimate software for free and place the same-looking file of ransomware on shady websites. This way people are tricked to download a file-encrypting virus by thinking that he/she is getting an original program illegally.
Also, there are numerous legitimate-looking ads online which try to deceive naive users that their programs are outdated and they must update it by clicking the button directly on the pop-up. However, this is a common attempt to infiltrate malware by taking advantage of gullible people.
It is important to understand that ransomware-type infections are highly dangerous computer threats. Likewise, people should take every precautionary measure to avoid them. We advise you to download software only from official websites and stay away from all types of adverts online. Additionally, remember that spam emails are also a common attack vector and should be opened with caution.
Safely eliminate BlackRuby virus from your system
If your attempts to avoid ransomware were unsuccessful, do not run to the criminals for help. They are not the people who you should trust. There are many reports where victims of file-encrypting viruses were left without the decryption key after making the payment. For this reason, we say the best option would be to remove BlackRuby in the first place.
Please, do not panic. You will be able to try to recover your information using alternative ways. Since there is more than one option, it is highly possible that you will get back most of your files. You can find the decryption steps at the end of this article. However, you must first get rid of BlackRuby.
Be aware that this computer threat delivers a crypto-mining malware. Therefore, experts believe that it might infiltrate other high-risk computer infections as well. For this reason, we strongly advise you to employ a professional antivirus for BlackRuby removal. Our top choices would be ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, and Malwarebytes.
Getting rid of BlackRuby virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
If your computer is infected with ransomware, you might no tot be able to install malware removal software at first. Therefore, disable the virus by booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove BlackRuby using System Restore
Also, there is another way to reboot your system to Safe Mode:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of BlackRuby. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove BlackRuby from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by BlackRuby, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro can be used as a recovery tool
Even though the primary function of this software is to help people recover files which have been accidentally deleted, you can also try to use it in case you are attacked by ransomware.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by BlackRuby ransomware;
- Restore them.
Try using Windows Previous Versions Feature
Windows users can take advantage of the feature which allows travelling back in time and recovering files from their previous versions. However, if System Restore function was not enabled before malware has reached your system, you will not be able to use it.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Employ ShadowExplorer for data recovery
This software uses Shadow Volume Copies to help the victims of ransomware attack. Likewise, if they are not damaged or deleted by the malware, follow the guide below:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
There is no official BlackRuby decryptor
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from BlackRuby and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting BlackRuby ransomware
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.