Cry9 virus Removal Guide
What is Cry9 ransomware virus?
Portuguese users should be aware of the Cry9 ransomware
Cry9 ransomware virus aims at the Portuguese-speaking computer users. This conclusion is based on the ransom note that is dropped on the affected computer’s system. It’s written in Portuguese only. Despite the narrow target field, this crypto-malware behaves like an ordinary file-encrypting virus. It uses AES cipher to secure MS Word, PDF, different picture, video, and audio files, databases, archives, and other popular file types. Following data encryption, the Cry9 virus leaves a ransom note where victims are informed about ransomware attack. The cyber criminals ask to purchase 0.5 Bitcoins from the provided links and transfer them to the provided Bitcoin wallet address. Once the payment is made, victims are supposed to send a picture of the transaction and unique ID number to the firstname.lastname@example.org or using Bitmessage service. It seems that developers leave victims a chance to stay anonymous. Moreover, the letter from the cyber criminals also warns that trying to restore files independently may lead to the data loss. Victims are no longer supposed to wait for the decrypter to restore their files. A well known company Emsisoft and its researcher Fabian Vosar presented this tool to help people fight against this ransomware virus. So, you should not even consider paying to hackers. Remove Cry9 from the device and try safe tools for data recovery.
Ransomware viruses not only encodes a wide range of personal information but also makes the computer vulnerable. As a result, other malware might use these flaws and infiltrate the system too. For this reason, delaying Cry9 removal is not recommended. We firmly recommend installing professional malware removal tool such as FortectIntego or Malwarebytes and run a full system scan several times. Unfortunately, elimination of the malware does not help to restore corrupted files. For that, you need data backups or additional tools. However, it’s still unknown whether Cry9 ransomware is capable of deleting Shadow Volume Copies or not. If not, data decryption can be successful by using such tools as ShadowExplorer. We want to point out that data recovery is not a primary task after ransomware attack. You should focus on malware removal because trying to decrypt data on the affected computer might lead to another encryption.
Cry9 ransomware virus targets Portuguese-speaking computer users. However, no one can protect other users from this cyber threat.
What methods are used for the virus distribution?
Developers of the Cry9 virus use various tactics to launch successful infiltration campaigns. Obviously, the primary method to spread a payload is email attachments. People may receive spam emails that urge to open an attached document. Nevertheless, the content of the letter and attachment itself looks reliable; you should check it twice. There might be a typo, grammar or spelling mistakes that will reveal the criminals. Cry9 malware might also infiltrate the system after clicking on a malicious link or malware-laden ad. Thus, never rush to click on a suspicious link that was sent even by your friend. Always make sure that it’s actually safe to open. What is more, if an amazing shopping deal pop-ups when browsing the web, you should not get excited and rush clicking it. It might be a perfectly polished malware-laden ad. Lastly, make sure you install and update programs from the reliable sources because ransomware might pretend to be a useful software.
Instructions for Cry9 virus removal
Previously, we have mentioned that Cry9 removal has to be performed using professional antivirus or malware removal software. However, we haven’t explained why. File-encrypting viruses are complicated and tricky cyber infections. Thus, trying to detect and eliminate malware-related components is not an easy task. Honestly, only experienced IT experts can complete this task without causing damage. If you try to remove Cry9 manually, you can delete crucial system files. Indeed, this kind of computer infections is capable of camouflaging themselves by using the names of legitimate system processes and files. For this reason, we highly recommend choosing one of these tools and perform a system scan: FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. If you cannot install or run a system scan, follow our prepared guidelines.
Getting rid of Cry9 virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Cry9 malware might be resistant and prevent you from installing or accessing security program. In order to perform automatic virus removal, you need to disable it first. Follow the steps below to reboot your computer to the Safe Mode, and then run a full system scan with your chosen software.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Cry9 using System Restore
If the previous method hasn’t helped you to disable the virus, try System Restore method. It is supposed to help to install or access ransomware removal tool.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Cry9. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Cry9 from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Data backups are the only safe way to restore encrypted files. However, if you do not have them, try additional recovery methods. We cannot assure that all your files will be rescued. But it’s your only choice at the moment.
If your files are encrypted by Cry9, you can use several methods to restore them:
Use Data Recovery Pro to restore files encrypted by Cry9 ransomware virus
This professional software helps to restore corrupted, deleted, and some of the encrypted files automatically. Don’t forget that it’s not a legitimate Cry9 decryptor.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Cry9 ransomware;
- Restore them.
Restore files encrypted by Cry9 virus using Windows Previous Versions feature
If System Restore method has been activated on your computer before ransomware attack, this method is helpful to you. Otherwise, you won’t be able to copy previously saved versions of the encoded files.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Try ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Cry9 malware
If ransomware failed to delete Shadow Volume Copies, your chances to restore your files are quite high. Follow these steps to use ShadowExplorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Use Cry9 decryptor to recover your files
Emsisoft has been helping users to recover their encrypted files for months. Recently, the company presented Cry9 decryter which is available here. To use it properly, you need to have two versions of the same file – encrypted and unencrypted version.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Cry9 and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.