Can I trust DefaultTab?
DefaultTab (you can also find it named as Default Tab) is a search engine that belongs to the company “Search Results LLC.” It looks very similar to Google, so many users have been tricked by its design and been convinced that they need to download it to their computers. Unfortunately, but we will have to say that they have been using a questionable search engine instead of the most popular search site. There are several reasons why you should avoid DefaultTab and other suspicious search engines that have been spreading with a help of various techniques, including bundling. The main problem is that this search engine may try to hijack all of your web browsers without an appropriate permission asked. After doing so, it may try to show you altered search results that are mostly used to promote affiliate websites and third parties that are hiding behind them. There is no guarantee that these parties are reliable, so we must recommend performing DefaultTab removal on your computer.
In addition to its redirects, this browser hijacker can also start interrupting you with numerous pop-up advertisements and in-text links that are displayed for the same aim as altered search results. Finally, after changing the start page and/or the default search engine, Default Tab may start tracking your browsing on the web and may collect such things as your search terms, mostly visited websites, data that you enter when visiting them, computer’s IP address and location, etc. This data is typically called as “personally non-identifiable information.” However, there is no information about third parties that are capable of using it. If you have just discovered DefaultTab instead of your start page or the default search engine, you should know about bundling. For more information about this misleading technique that is usually based on third party software, you should check the next paragraph. To remove DefaultTab virus, you should run a full system scan with Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego.
How can this hijacker infiltrate my computer?
If you want to remove Default Tab by Search Results LLC, you should use of these anti-malware programs that are given below. They can not only help you find each of components of this browser hijacker but can also eliminate every virus that can be hiding inside the system and slowing it down or trying to damage it. However, this program is considered a potentially unwanted, so you can also remove it via Add/Remove Programs list. For that, follow these steps:
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove DefaultTab, follow these steps:
Uninstall DefaultTab from Windows systems
If you want to get rid of this hijacker manually, you must uninstall DefaultTab and these entries: BrowserDefender, SelectionLinks, MixiDJ Chrome Toolbar.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall DefaultTab and related programs
Here, look for DefaultTab or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove DefaultTab from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Erase DefaultTab from Mac OS X system
When trying to remove DefaultTab completely, you should find and get rid of these programs as well: Browser Defender, Selection Links, MixiDJ Chrome Toolbar.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for DefaultTab or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Get rid of DefaultTab from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for DefaultTab and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete DefaultTab removal.
Remove DefaultTab from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select DefaultTab and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete DefaultTab removal.
Delete DefaultTab from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select DefaultTab and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete DefaultTab removal.
Uninstall DefaultTab from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for DefaultTab or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by DefaultTab, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete DefaultTab removal process.
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. It is a hassle when your website is protected from suspicious connections and unauthorized IP addresses.
The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address. If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for server or network manager that need to monitor connections and activities. This is how you bypass some of the authentications factors and can remotely use your banking accounts without triggering suspicious with each login.
VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world. It is better to clock the access to your website from different IP addresses. So you can keep the project safe and secure when you have the dedicated IP address VPN and protected access to the content management system.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer various losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Software issues created by malware or direct data loss due to encryption can lead to problems with your device or permanent damage. When you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work.
It is crucial to create updates to your backups after any changes on the device, so you can get back to the point you were working on when malware changes anything or issues with the device causes data or performance corruption. Rely on such behavior and make file backup your daily or weekly habit.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware occurs out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the system restoring purpose.