Can I trust DefaultTab?
DefaultTab (you can also find it named as Default Tab) is a search engine that belongs to the company “Search Results LLC.” It looks very similar to Google, so many users have been tricked by its design and been convinced that they need to download it to their computers. Unfortunately, but we will have to say that they have been using a questionable search engine instead of the most popular search site. There are several reasons why you should avoid DefaultTab and other suspicious search engines that have been spreading with a help of various techniques, including bundling. The main problem is that this search engine may try to hijack all of your web browsers without an appropriate permission asked. After doing so, it may try to show you altered search results that are mostly used to promote affiliate websites and third parties that are hiding behind them. There is no guarantee that these parties are reliable, so we must recommend performing DefaultTab removal on your computer.
In addition to its redirects, this browser hijacker can also start interrupting you with numerous pop-up advertisements and in-text links that are displayed for the same aim as altered search results. Finally, after changing the start page and/or the default search engine, Default Tab may start tracking your browsing on the web and may collect such things as your search terms, mostly visited websites, data that you enter when visiting them, computer’s IP address and location, etc. This data is typically called as “personally non-identifiable information.” However, there is no information about third parties that are capable of using it. If you have just discovered DefaultTab instead of your start page or the default search engine, you should know about bundling. For more information about this misleading technique that is usually based on third party software, you should check the next paragraph. To remove DefaultTab virus, you should run a full system scan with ReimageIntego.
How can this hijacker infiltrate my computer?
If you want to remove Default Tab by Search Results LLC, you should use of these anti-malware programs that are given below. They can not only help you find each of components of this browser hijacker but can also eliminate every virus that can be hiding inside the system and slowing it down or trying to damage it. However, this program is considered a potentially unwanted, so you can also remove it via Add/Remove Programs list. For that, follow these steps:
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove DefaultTab, follow these steps:
Uninstall DefaultTab from Windows systems
If you want to get rid of this hijacker manually, you must uninstall DefaultTab and these entries: BrowserDefender, SelectionLinks, MixiDJ Chrome Toolbar.
To remove DefaultTab from Windows 10/8 machines, please follow these steps:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find entries related to DefaultTab (or any other recently installed suspicious program).
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
If you are Windows 7/XP user, proceed with the following instructions:
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
Erase DefaultTab from Mac OS X system
When trying to remove DefaultTab completely, you should find and get rid of these programs as well: Browser Defender, Selection Links, MixiDJ Chrome Toolbar.
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove DefaultTab from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for DefaultTab-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove DefaultTab, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to DefaultTab and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the DefaultTab-related entries.
Get rid of DefaultTab from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for DefaultTab and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete DefaultTab removal.
Remove DefaultTab from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to DefaultTab and click Remove.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
In case DefaultTab did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete DefaultTab removal.
Delete DefaultTab from Google Chrome
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to DefaultTab by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
If the above-methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the DefaultTab-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete DefaultTab removal.
Uninstall DefaultTab from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension related to DefaultTab and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of DefaultTab registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.