GuardBTC@cock.li virus Removal Guide
What is GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware?
GuardBTC@cock.li – a new version of Dharma/CrySiS malware family
GuardBTC@cock.li is a malicious crypto-virus which belongs to Dharma/CrySiS ransomware family. Malware appends .[GuardBTC@cock.li].java file extension to each targeted files. However, sometimes it can switch to other email address, such as email@example.com or similar. Additionally, malware delivers a ransom note where crooks demand to pay a specific amount of Bitcoins for data recovery.
GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware uses AES encryption algorithm and keeps decryption key on the remote server. While original Dharma/CrySiS viruses are decryptable without a secret key, the recent version, which can also be called as .java ransomware, is not. Therefore, after the attack, you can restore your files only from backups. However, this fact should not motivate you to pay the ransom!
Following data encryption, GuardBTC@cock.li virus leaves a ransom note, explaining what happened to users’ files. The text file reveals that all the data is locked and completely unusable. To obtain access to data, the user must pay a specific sum in Bitcoin cryptocurrency.
However, we do not suggest contacting cybercriminals. Crooks are known to completely ignore victims, even after the demanded amount of ransom is paid. Additionally, you are financing illegal criminal activity which helps culprits extract money from unsuspecting users.
As you can see, having business with criminals might only increase yours loses. Instead of that, focus on GuardBTC@cock.li removal which is needed to use your computer normally and safely again. Malware may have injected malicious code into legit system processes and installed other harmful files on your computer. For this reason, the system becomes vulnerable and attractive to other cyber threats.
Therefore, we advise you to remove GuardBTC@cock.li from your machine using a robust malware removal program such as ReimageIntego. Keep in mind that manual removal is extremely complicated and should only be performed by IT professionals and we want to discourage you from such activity.
However, if you cannot install or run security software, check the instructions at the end of the article and use either Safe Mode with Networking or System Restore method. Additionally, read alternative methods that can help you recover access to at least some of your files.
GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware encrypts files using a complex algorithm.
Avoid dangerous ransomware attacks by paying attention to your email inbox
Cybercriminals rely on inattentive users who open every email or link directed towards them. Spam emails are the most prominent ransomware distribution method. Typically, the author of email pretends to be some important entity from a well-known organization, government employee or a bank representative. He/she actively encourages opening the file which is attached to the email or clicking on the link provided.
Please be careful and examine e-mails from unknown sources attentively. There are always warning signs; you just need to learn to spot them. Additionally, your email provider usually flags up suspicious emails, so do not ignore those warnings.
In addition to spam emails, ransomware can be distributed in other ways:
- Exploit kits;
- P2P websites/clients;
- Fraudulent software downloads;
- Fake updates/ads/popups;
However, no matter how much precautions you undertake, you are never entirely safe from ransomware attack. Therefore, make sure you keep regular backups on an external drive.
Removal guide for GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware
As we previously mentioned we strongly advise proceeding with manual GuardBTC@cock.li removal as this procedure is complicated, especially for standard computer users. The risk of damaging system files and its registries is exceptionally high; therefore we advise you to pick automatic elimination method.
Security experts from viruset.no warn that you should download a proper security software and remove GuardBTC@cock.li virus before proceeding with file recovery. We advise using a powerful security tool like ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Otherwise, your recovered files will be encrypted immediately again.
Getting rid of GuardBTC@cock.li virus. Follow these steps
Manual GuardBTC@cock.li removal using Safe Mode
You should restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking before trying to proceed with automatic virus deletion.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove GuardBTC@cock.li using System Restore
System restore can be used to disable the virus and run its automatic elimination too:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of GuardBTC@cock.li. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove GuardBTC@cock.li from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Unfortunately, there is no decrypter for GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware available yet. However, you can try out these alternative methods which might help you with file recovery.
If your files are encrypted by GuardBTC@cock.li, you can use several methods to restore them:
You can try out Data Recovery Pro
Data Recovery Pro was designed to recover corrupted or broken files. However, in some cases, it might be useful in recovering files affected by ransomware.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware;
- Restore them.
Tak advantage of Windows Previous Versions feature
This method will only work if you had System restore function enabled before GuardBTC@cock.li blocked all your files.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer might be useful if file recovery after the GuardBTC@cock.li attack
ShadowExplorer only works if the ransomware has not deleted Shadow Volume Copies in the process of infection.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
No decrypter is available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from GuardBTC@cock.li and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting GuardBTC@cock.li ransomware
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.