HummingBad virus (Free Guide) - Tutorial
HummingBad virus Removal Guide
What is HummingBad virus?
HummingBad virus is a dangerous threat for Android users
HummingBad virus was first discovered in February 2016 as a new version of Android virus. However, it has been recently spotted launching new distribution campaigns and infecting Android devices under the application “HummingWhale.” The purpose of the malware is to generate advertising-based revenue for its parent company Yingmob. The scheme worked in a simple way. After infiltration, malware delivered ads on the infected Android devices, and when users were tricked into clicking them, developers generated money. This practice is also known as click fraud; however, it’s not the biggest issue. HummingBad malware also gains access to the affected smartphone’s operating system. It gets “root access” and gets permission to the core system files, so it takes control over the device. Hence, hackers can do whatever they like and steal your personal and private information. It’s extremely dangerous if you use online banking apps because you may experience money loss.
Since the appearance, HummingBad virus has already infected more than 10 million Android smartphones and devices. The malware had been hiding under dozens of applications in Google Play store and claimed to be published by Chinese developers. However, it wasn’t true. When users installed an infected application, the mobile phone started displaying intrusive and suspicious advertisements. Some of the misleading pop-ups might warn about the necessity to update system. You may also be offered some new apps, or you may notice them installed without your knowledge. What is more, you may notice that your mobile data plans run out sooner than expected and low battery notifications appear quicker than usual. As soon as you realize that your computer has been infected, you should scan your device with mobile version of RestoroIntego or other reputable malware removal program and start the HummingBad removal process. However, malware can be resistant and prevent from automatic removal. In this case, you will have to reset factory settings and clean all malicious applications on your own. However, do not delay this process and remove HummingBad immediately.
The latest variant of HummingBad virus had been spreading as HummingWhale application on Google Play store.
Malware distribution tendencies and prevention tips
How to remove HummingBad malware from the Android device?
First of all, follow these steps below and to remove HummingBad virus in a soft way. However, it may not work, and you may need to perform the factory reset.
1. Reboot Android smartphone or tablet in the Safe mode by holding down the power button until you see “Turn off” button on the screen. Then, press hold until you notice the message offering to restart your device in Safe Mode. Tap OK.
2. When in “Safe Mode,” go to “Settings” -> “Applications” -> “Installed Apps.” In the list of installed applications, find and uninstall all suspicious apps by tapping on them and selecting “Clear Cache,” then “Clear Data,” and “Uninstall.”
3. Restart your Android device to turn off the Safe Mode.
If these steps do not work and malware still resides on the system, you have to complete factory reset. Keep in mind that you will lose all information stored on your phone or tablet. All the apps, contact list, photos, and videos will be removed entirely. After factory reset your device will be in the same condition when it was when you purchased it. To perform a factory reset and initiate HummingBad removal, follow these steps:
1. Go to “Settings, ” and in the “Personal” section, tap on “Backup & Reset.” You may be asked to enter your PIN or password. Hence, enter it.
2. In the “Personal Data” section, find the “Factory data reset” button and tap “Reset phone.”
3. Choose “Erase everything.”
4. Reboot the device.
How to prevent from getting malware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.
- ^ Oren Koriat. A Whale of a Tale: HummingBad Returns. Check Point. Threat Research Archives.
- ^ Click fraud. Wikipedia. The Free Encyclopedia.
- ^ Swati Khandelwal. Nasty Android Malware that Infected Milions Returns to Google Play Store. The Hacker News. Security in a serious way.
- ^ Jon Mundy. HummingBad Malware: How to tell if your Android phone is infected – and what to do if it is. Trusted Reviews. The Latest Technology News and Reviews.
- ^ Drive-by download. Microsoft. Microsoft Security Intelligence Report.