Mac Adware Cleaner is a questionable system optimizer that should not be installed
Questions about Mac Adware Cleaner ads
Mac Adware Cleaner is a potentially unwanted program that targets Mac users and offers an ambiguous functionality. This cyber threat usually gets into machines with the help Advanced Mac Cleaner which is often installed via software bundling. Beware that each of these programs is useless and can hardly improve your PC's functionality. In addition, Mac Adware Cleaner can get into the system via “Recommended Download” pop-up that can reappear on Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox or other browsers because of adware hiding inside the system.
|Name||Mac Adware Cleaner|
|Type||Potentially Unwanted Program/Adware|
|Is advertised as||Adware/malware/crapware cleaner, system optimizer|
|Related software||Advanced Mac Cleaner|
|Functionality||Displays fake scan results in order to make users buy licensed version|
|Symptoms||Excessive advertisement, unexpected system scans, redirects, etc.|
|Distribution||Software bundling, malicious ads, official website|
|Elimination||Download and install Reimage. Otherwise, follow instructions below|
Mac Adware Cleaner is advertised as a helpful tool that can get rid of adware, malware, and other unwanted apps. The truth is, this program is potentially malicious itself and there are numerous AV engines that detect it as malicious. In fact, Chrome engine has even marked the site as dangerous, naming the following:
This site contains harmful programs
Attackers on this site might trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit)
The official website consists of a bunch of fake reviews and bogus “approvals” from legitimate security companies and other known names, such as The Washington Post or the iPad-only news app The Daily. It is clear that, by using these names, developers of this treacherous app are only seeking to earn money. Beware that this program can hardly detect malicious entries on your computer and the only way to fix your system is to get rid of Mac Adware Cleaner without wasting your time.
As soon as Mac Adware Cleaner virus enters the targeted Mac, it performs multiple scans automatically. Users might not even understand where are they coming from or what is their purpose. Nevertheless, as soon as the scan is complete, the app typically shocks the user with multiple warnings about malicious threats and other problems detected. To fix these problems, the user should buy a licensed version which costs $49.95.
We understand that software developers cannot give out their products for free. However, this is more of a scam than an actually useful product. The threats found are bogus and do not impact your machine in any way. Therefore, users often look for ways how to delete Mac Adware Cleaner from their device. Nevertheless, it is a correct action and the right step towards clean and smoothly-running Mac.
To remove Mac Adware Cleaner, we highly recommend using Reimage or another reputable anti-spyware program. Make sure you reset your web browsers to eliminate its popups entirely. If you are not an experienced user, jump to the guide below to see how it's done.
The problem with this application is not only its phony scan results. It is also considered to be adware which floods machines with unending advertisements, redirects to potentially dangerous sites, and clutters the device with other useless software.
Additionally, PUPs also collect a variety of anonymous information, including:
- IP address;
- ISP provider;
- Links clicked;
- Search queries;
- Sites visited;
- System information, including installed software and its versions;
- Cookie information, etc.
Thus, developers know everything about your browsing habits. What is more, if you purchase the licensed version, you will be prompted to provide personal data, such as name, address, credit card details, etc. This information can be potentially stolen and used by cybercriminals, as it is unclear what security precautions are practiced.
Before you proceed with Mac Adware Cleaner removal, we suggest you check out a paragraph about potentially unwanted program distribution below to prevent further infiltration of similar applications.
Ways unwanted programs contaminate devices
Just like the vast majority of PUPs, this one was also installed on the device along with other software. Thus, if you have recently introduced a new program or some other files from unknown sources, the unwanted app might have sneaked in as well. We want to point out that it’s important to choose only reliable sources for downloads. Stay away from torrents, P2P networks, insecure sites, and similar questionable sources, and download such content from publisher’s websites.
Additionally, you need to pay attention to the installation procedure itself. Do not rely on Quick or Standard modes and always opt for Custom or Advanced option. The Quick installation settings do not reveal optional third-party apps that might have been attached to the primary program. As a result, they are installed by default.
Security experts also advise users to avoid visiting questionable websites (such as file-sharing, P2P, cracked software sites and other) and install legitimate security software. Besides, keep yourself far away from such and similar notifications trying to interrupt you while browsing on the Internet:
Install Mac Adware Cleaner now to protect your Mac device from malware, adware and other security threats.
Uninstall Mac Adware Cleaner ads from you machine
To remove Mac Adware Cleaner from your Mac, follow these steps:
- Open the Utilities folder and launch Activity Monitor.
- In the Activity Monitor look for the Advanced Mac Cleaner (or/and Mac Adware Cleaner). Click on it and select Quit Process option.
- You will receive a dialog window asking if you want to quit Advanced Mac Cleaner. Click on the Force Quit button.
- Click Go button and select Applications.
- In the Applications list, look for the Advanced Mac Cleaner. Once you find it, right-click on it and choose Move to Trash. You might be asked to enter user password, thus enter it.
- Launch Apple menu (Apple icon on the top left corner) and select System Preferences.
- In the System Preferences go to Accounts and select Login Items. In the appeared list look for the Advanced Mac Cleaner and click on the “-” button.
When Mac Adware Cleaner removal is completed, you have to make sure that no other suspicious entries have been installed on your web browsers. As we already mentioned, PUPs can install additional components which can be well hidden within your system. Thus, in order to get rid of Mac Adware Cleaner virus completely, you should use trusted anti-malware software that can find all the unwanted components automatically.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Malwarebytes MalwarebytesCombo Cleaner, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareMalwarebytes Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Mac Adware Cleaner ads, follow these steps:
Remove Mac Adware Cleaner from Mac OS X system
Mac Adware Cleaner ads are usually caused by Advanced Mac Cleaner. Thus, you need to uninstall this shady application from the device. Once you do that, reset all web browsers that are installed on your device.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Mac Adware Cleaner or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Eliminate Mac Adware Cleaner from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Follow the instructions below to reset Mozilla Firefox after the Mac Adware Cleaner hijack. It helps to delete all shady entries that might be responsible for delivering ads and causing other problems.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Mac Adware Cleaner and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Mac Adware Cleaner removal.
Get rid of Mac Adware Cleaner from Google Chrome
Google Chrome reset is necessary in order to get rid of misleading applications. Follow the steps below:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Mac Adware Cleaner and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Mac Adware Cleaner removal.
Erase Mac Adware Cleaner from Safari
Once you reset Safari, ads by Mac Adware Cleaner will disappear from your browser. The guidelines below will help you to do that.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Mac Adware Cleaner or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Mac Adware Cleaner removal process.