A full description of MyStart Toolbar
MyStart Toolbar is a suspicious browser extension that may sneak into the system via other free downloads, corrupt your default web browser's settings and may try to redirect you to predetermined websites. The extension changes user's homepage to hxxp://mystart.com/ and suggests using a vague search engine provided on it.
The developer of this app, Visicom Media Inc., describes it as a “browser extension that brings the functionality of your favorite social network sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Youtube, MySpace, and LinkedIn to your fingertips. It allows any social media user to quickly access social sites with handy shortcuts, perform searches, read social news, and take advantage of the built-in social apps to interact with their friends on Facebook or Twitter.”
Sounds attractive, we must agree. However, in reality, this program has several serious downsides due to which it has been already categorized as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). According to security researchers, there is no need to keep this toolbar on the system. The reasons to remove it are listed and explained below. For MyStart removal, we recommend using the automatic method and installing Reimage or similar anti-spyware.
- First of all, MyStart spreads alongside other free programs and can be offered as an opt-in addition to you. Sadly, many users do not know how to opt out it, so it gets into computer systems without user's consent (in the majority of cases);
- The browser hijacker automatically changes browser's settings without CLEARLY informing the user first. Users find such feature annoying;
- The suspicious search tool suggested by www.mystart.com site delivers altered Yahoo results that are full of ads. Clicking these can trigger redirects to highly dangerous external sites.
- The browser hijacker doesn't let the user change browser's preferences until it gets removed from the system.
If this toolbar gets inside your computer, it changes the homepage to mystart.com, whereas Yahoo! may appear as a default search engine. It may seem useful at first, but we do not think that this search provider and homepage can be fully trusted, and that is why we recommend that you carefully think about keeping it.
MyStart virus may deliver altered search results that try to promote third party websites and raise their ranking. Once you receive the search results, you should look at the tab name. It says “Visicom Yahoo Search results.” We can assure you that these are not identical to the real Yahoo search results.
This search provider may fill results with various sponsored links and advertisements that can redirect you to unsafe websites. In addition to MyStart redirect problem, in the extract above you may see the lines that notify about phishing sites and stealing of personal info. At this point, we want to clarify that the browser hijacker isn't related to VisiCom Systems, Inc. – it is an entirely different company that has nothing in common with the development of potentially unwanted programs.
Be aware that this PUP itself tracks user's browsing activities and may even collect some of the personally-identifiable data, which may further be used for various proposes. For example, your email might be used to send you annoying commercial offers that you might identify as spam.
Besides, personal details collected about you can be accessed by MyStart employees. If you do not like this idea, we advise you to delete this plug-in and rely on a more reputable extension if you need one.
The hijacker reportedly actively attacks Chinese computer users. If you are from China, we kindly invite you to take a look at information about this hijacker in Wubingdu.cn site.
MyStart (by Visicom Media, Inc.) is a questionable browser hijacker that changes browser's settings so that it could automatically load mystart.com search engine for the user. This search tool is highly untrustworthy and provides links to shady websites.
It is easy to avoid potentially unwanted programs
It is quite easy to avoid installing PUPs – you only need to know their main distribution methods. To say broadly, My Start Toolbar appears on your web browser when you accept to install it. You may do so willingly if you download this extension from its official site. However, much more frequently people accept to install it inadvertently when installing another free program, such as download manager or video streaming software.
Various well-known download websites, such as CNET, Brothersoft, or Softonic distribute bundled programs. Therefore, it is all in your hands if you want to avoid installation of bundled programs. The only way to avoid downloading the vague Toolbar and similar PUPs is to do a small research about the program and install it with extreme carefulness.
Besides, select Advanced or Custom installation option and deselect suggestions to install unfamiliar programs or to modify your web browser in any way. If you have already installed the browser hijacker, do not wait longer and remove it right now.
Remove MyStart.com redirect virus
To prevent your browser from redirecting you to suspicious sites, remove MyStart virus straight away. Since this program may cause infiltration of various suspicious programs on your PC and initiate annoying modifications on your web browser, you should consider which method you are going to use for MyStart removal.
You can either use a guide which is given below or install a reliable anti-spyware program. The most effective ones are given right below. Once you install one of these programs, you should update it and run a full system scan.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove MyStart Toolbar, follow these steps:
Remove MyStart Toolbar from Windows systems
You should uninstall all Visicom Media Inc. related entries to complete MyStart Toolbar removal on your computer. We recommend you to find Toolbar Cleaner, Anti-phishing Domain Advisor, and similar entries.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall MyStart Toolbar and related programs
Here, look for MyStart Toolbar or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove MyStart Toolbar from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Erase MyStart Toolbar from Mac OS X system
To remove MyStart Toolbar and prevent its reappearance in the future, you need to uninstall Toolbar Cleaner, Anti-phishing Domain Advisor and similar entries that are related to Visicom Media Inc.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for MyStart Toolbar or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Eliminate MyStart Toolbar from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for MyStart Toolbar and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete MyStart Toolbar removal.
Uninstall MyStart Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select MyStart Toolbar and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete MyStart Toolbar removal.
Delete MyStart Toolbar from Google Chrome
Remove MyStart from Chrome using instructions we prepared. You can find them down below.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select MyStart Toolbar and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete MyStart Toolbar removal.
Remove MyStart Toolbar from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for MyStart Toolbar or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by MyStart Toolbar, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete MyStart Toolbar removal process.