Rakhni virus Removal Guide
What is Rakhni ransomware?
Rakhni ransomware is a notorious crypto-virus that can either mine cryptocurrency or encrypt target files
Rakhni ransomware is an old crypto-virus that can be detected as Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Rakhni.
Rakhni ransomware — malicious program that can work like a Trojan horse as well. This program has been known since 2013, but, at the moment, its developers returned with completely different features. Next, besides its ability to encrypt target data, the virus can also mine cryptocurrency. This malware can choose which feature to use on the target computer system, what makes it even more dangerous. However, Rakhni ransomware virus has mainly been targeting corporate users. If it decides to encrypt your files, it adds .excuses extension to the modified data and marks it in this way. Additionally, it drops MESSAGE.txt ransom note. The ransomware has already been spotted in Russia, Ukraine, and Germany, India.
|Distribution||Spam email attachments|
|Elimination||The best tool for virus removal ReimageIntego|
The main factor for this virus in choosing what to install and how should it act on the affected system is cryptocurrency. If this malware finds any files related to Bitcoin, it starts running the encryption procedure to lock important victim's files and additionally force him or her to pay the ransom fee. Anything from MS Office files to PDFs can be encrypted without a chance to unlock it without a fee. These files can be marked with 0x20000000 marker or file extension .excuses.
Additionally, Rakhni ransomware leaves the ransom note in every folder which includes the encrypted data. Additionally, it drops the same note, typically called MESSAGE.txt, on computer's desktop. This file contains a ransom message that provides information about the encryption process and reveals more details about the virus itself. According to researchers, the message is believed to belong to Russians.
Ransom note reads (Translated from Russian):
You can buy the decrypt before 04/06/2018 Request cost: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject of the letter, indicate your ID: [redacted numbers]
Letters without an ID are ignored.
Please do not try to decrypt files with third-party tools.
You can ruin them completely and even the original decryptor will not help.
Applications are processed by an automated system.
If there are no folders related to Bitcoin on the PC that is infected Rakhni ransomware releases a malware that works as a Bitcoin-miner trojan. The program believes that device is powerful enough to handle this activity of cryptocurrency mining. This Bitcoin mining can affect the performance of your computer and make it frustrating or barely usable.
You should think about Rakhni ransomware removal either way. This program is dangerous in every matter it works. It can significantly diminish the performance of your device.
This program displays an error message on the screen immediately after the infiltration. This note attracts users' attention while ransomware disables Windows Defender and installs additional pieces. Then, the virus determines which action to perform on the chosen device: encrypt files and demand a ransom or install a Bitcoin miner.
This malware can spread to another computer in the network. You need to remove Rakhni ransomware if you have it before it initiates additional dangerous activities on your or related computer. You should use anti-malware tools like ReimageIntego for this.
Rakhni ransomware virus is a program that can infect your PC silently and then either encrypt victim's files or start mining cryptocurrency.
Safe-looking email attachments spread malware
This virus comes vis spam email attachments that are often disguised as a document with important or useful info. Often Docx attachments in spam emails contain virus-filled documents.
Researchers have information that in this case, it looks like a financial PDF and when people try to edit or open this file, the system allows to run an executable file which permits for the ransomware to work in a wanted way.
These emails often can look legitimate and sent from the reputable company, but that is just a disguise. You need to be aware that none of the spam emails are safe. Do not open or download any of them if you have a doubt.
Terminate Rakhni ransomware if you want to work on your computer safely again
To remove Rakhni ransomware, you need to use professional tools because leaving the data of the malicious actors can lead to various problems. You can rely on ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. But feel free to choose any program that you like.
The importance of this Rakhni ransomware removal is avoiding more harm to the system. This can affect your whole company. You should be aware of the possible threats and take security measures in time. You can train your staff on how to deal and react when it happens. Build a routine of regular check-ins.
Separating sensitive data and backing is very important. Reliable security equipment is the key to avoidance. You can be risking your whole business if not secured properly. Check for security vulnerabilities more often and use correct tools.
Getting rid of Rakhni virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
First thing you can do when dealing with ransomware is rebooting your PC in Safe Mode with networking:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Rakhni using System Restore
If that is not working well, use System Restore feature:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Rakhni. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Rakhni from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Rakhni, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data recovery pro is a tool designed for file restoring
Recover your files if you got affected by ransomware or accidentally deleted your important data:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Rakhni ransomware;
- Restore them.
If you want to recover individual files you can rely on Windows Previous Versions feature
This feature can only work if System Restore was enabled before the attack:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
To restore virus affected files use ShadowExplorer:
If ransomware left Shadow Volume Copies untouched you could use Shadowexplorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Researchers have a decryption tool
Rakhni ransomware now is decryptable, and you can download this tools here
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Rakhni and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.