Satan Ransomware Removal Guide
What is Satan Ransomware?
Satan Cryptor – dangerous virus that promises to delete personal files if the victim fails to pay a ransom
there are numerous versions of Satan Ransomware and the number will keep increasing
Satan ransomware is a crypto-virus which operates as Ransomware-as-a-service. Alternatively, it is also known as Satan Cryptor and Satan Cryptor 2.0 which came back in 2020. Malware is spread via Server Message Block (SMB) exploit that was used by a scandalous Wannacry attack. However, it is still unknown if Satan Cryptor is related to the previously-released ransomware that was presented in the underground market.
|Name||Satan Cryptor/Satan/Satan Cryptor 2.0|
|Extension||.satan file extension|
|Ransom note||The virus is using HELP_DECRYPT_FILES.html and # SATAN CRYPTOR #.hta files to warn the victim about the encrypted data|
|Danger Level||High. Encrypted files are unusable, the victim is demanded to pay a ransom|
|Targets users in||Korea, China and USA|
|Distribution||SMB exploit, spam emails, malicious websites|
|Elimination||Fully scan your system with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Manual removal not recommended. Virus damage can be fixed with ReimageIntego|
This crypto-malware appends .satan extension and drops the HELP_DECRYPT_FILES.html or similar file as the ransom note. Originally, Satan Cryptor required 0.5 BTC to be paid as the ransom. However, it seems like the amount of ransom decreased with the latest version, demanding 0.3 Bitcoin. The biggest chances to get infected is if you live in USA, China and Korea.
Previously, crooks were offered to design their own Satan ransomware and start generating illegal profits from this hazard. They were encouraged to sign up and create their individual file-encrypting variants of ransomware. The malware creation procedure consisted of the following parts:
Malware allowed its users to specify their ransomware settings. They were allowed to set the amount of the ransom, indicate how much it should increase and the period of time after which it should happen. Once the user finished completing this page, it was allowed to create malicious MS Office macros or CHM installers in the Dropper section which were used to distribute Satan Cryptor.
Satan ransomware is offered as a service and its developers take 30% of the obtained profits.
Satan Cryptor ransomware has also been spread in multiple languages. Once inside the system, it starts displaying such warning message:
Payment Time Left: XXXX
Some files have been encrypted
Please send 0.5 bitcoins to this wallet address: XXXX
If you paid, send the machine code to my email address
I will of give you key
If there is no payment within three days,
we will no longer provide a decryption support
We can give you the test file.
send 3 files that are smaller than 3 MB to my email address
Btc Wallet: [1BEDcx8n4PdydUNC4gcwLSbUCVksJSMuo8]
Mail Address: [email@example.com]
Note that there could be numerous versions of Satan Cryptor and the number will keep increasing until people agree to pay the ransom. The developers of the file-encrypting virus promise to reduce their cut when the infection rate increases. It is clear that crooks are motivated to spread ransomware in order to gain a larger profit share.
Therefore, we recommend you to remove Satan Cryptor and do not pay the ransom under any circumstances. You should be aware that there are several reports on the Internet which inform that the decryption tool is ineffective and it is useless to spend such enormous amounts of money.
Be aware that ReimageIntego is the best option to complete Satan Cryptor removal for the regular computer user. Do not hesitate to do that since we also provide you alternative recovery methods at the end of this article to help recover data after ransomware attack.
Satan ransomware returns in 2020
Satan ransomware virus in depth
It seems like the extension applied to each of the infected files remains the same – .satan. The ransom note is also very similar to previous versions and is displayed in three different languages – English, Chinese and Korean. However, the amount of demanded ransom changed, which stands at 0.3 BTC.
Hackers are also accepting a personal file that can be sent to them, so they can show that decryption is possible. However, differently for its predecessors, Satan Cryptor does not provide support for the decryption after three days of infection. It seems like crooks are trying to speed up the process by using scare tactics.
However, you should never get tricked into paying cybercriminals, regardless of how scary the situation might seem. There is no guarantee you will get your files back, and you will also be promoting illegal activities by supporting hackers.
Ransomware can be distributed in various ways
Computer hazards are distributed via multiple techniques to help infect as many computers as possible. The most widely used ones are malicious emails and obfuscate software updates. Both of them possess a deceptive appearance which tricks gullible people to open bogus files and install ransomware.
Users should be aware of the hidden dangers in spam emails. Usually, they hold a malicious attachment of the executable which infects the computer once clicked. Hackers impersonate invoices or job spot responses from famous companies or even governmental authorities. Thus, do not open suspicious emails despite how genuine they may look. You should check some phishing email examples online so that you would be able to spot suspicious emails straight away.
Additionally, it is common to place ransomware as obfuscate software updaters which might pop-up during browsing sessions. Note that the false alerts to fix problems related to Adobe Flash Player might be merely an attempt to lure you into downloading ransomware.
Satan malware ransom note
You should remove Satan ransomware without a delay
Since Satan ransomware has been offered as a ransomware kit which allowed creating customized versions of it, regular computer users might not be able to detect all components of the malware and fail to terminate it. Also, in some cases, it is possible to damage your computer system permanently when trying to get rid of this high-risk computer infection.
Therefore, Satan Cryptor removal is only possible with the help of a certified IT technician or a profession security software. Note that it is vital to make sure that the antivirus tool is reputable and powerful enough to identify and eliminate this dangerous computer hazard.
You can remove Satan Cryptor ransomware with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Experts from LosVirus.es assure you that these security programs are robust and able to terminate the ransomware within several minutes. Also, don't forget to use the guide below which will help you to recover corrupted data. The easiest way – using ReimageIntego
Getting rid of Satan Ransomware. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
To start Satan elimination, you must boot your computer into Safe Mode:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Satan Ransomware using System Restore
Below you will find another method how to reboot PC to Safe Mode if the first one didn't help.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Satan Ransomware. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Satan Ransomware from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Satan Ransomware, you can use several methods to restore them:
Experts recommend Data Recovery Pro
This is a great tool to recover files after encryption and also you can use it when you have accidentally deleted important data.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Satan Ransomware ransomware;
- Restore them.
Use Windows Previous Versions feature
If you are a Windows user, it is advised to try the function which restores data from its previous versions. However, to use it, you must be sure that System Restore was enabled before Satan attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer is another effective software
This program is based on the Shadow Volume Copies which are present on every PC. However, some types of ransomware are able to delete them. In this case, you would be unable to use this software.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Satan decryption tool is not available, use backups
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Satan Ransomware and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.