Search-mon05.xyz browser hijacker (Free Guide)
Search-mon05.xyz browser hijacker Removal Guide
What is Search-mon05.xyz browser hijacker?
Search-mon05.xyz is a browser hijacking-related URL that employs alternative providers to show search results
If Search-mon05.xyz redirects occur, you have a browser hijacker installed on the system
Search-mon05.xyz is a web address you may see on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge, or another web browser after the installation of a potentially unwanted program on your system. While it can manifest as an application installed on the system level, the likely cause of the browser redirect issue is a browser extension.
Browser hijackers are not usually installed intentionally (although this can happen when the promised features trick users) due to software bundling, fake updates, or similar misleading distribution methods used.
Once on the system, the unwanted app would swap the homepage and new tab address to Search-mon05.xyz, which, once used, would reroute all searches to justfindinfo.com through a variety of other URLs. The results would always almost be populated with ads at the top, making people more inclined to click them.
In order to stop this unwanted behavior, you have to find and remove the potentially unwanted software installed on your device. With the help of this article, this task will be much easier to accomplish, as we provide all the required details in the below paragraphs.
|Type||Browser hijacker, potentially unwanted application|
|Distribution||Software bundles, ads, redirects|
|Symptoms||Homepage and new tab address hijacked by the extension; promotional links are displayed as top search results; intrusive ads on various visited websites|
|Risks||Installation of other potentially unwanted programs/malware, personal data disclosure to unknown parties, monetary loss|
|Removal||You need to find a browser extension or application installed on the system level that causes unwanted browser activities. You can do this much easier with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner security software|
|tips||After you eliminate the hijacker, you should also clean your web browsers to avoid tracking and other issues. You can use RestoroIntego as a quick solution|
Misleading practices of browser hijackers
While browser-hijacking applications are more of a nuisance than high-risk infections, their impact on daily web browsing can be very significant. When one looks at the homepage set by the hijacker, it merely looks like something very familiar – a search box provided by Google. Google's typical colors used on the word “search” are not accidental.
Deceptive parties often use familiar elements of well-known companies in order to make their products be associated with something trustworthy. In this case, the hijacker tries to imitate Google Search, although it has nothing to do with it. In fact, every time the search box is used, users might be rerouted to a myriad of different providers and third-party websites.
Therefore, we do not recommend trusting search results produced by Search-mon05.xyz. Ads at the top, especially, can lead to websites promoting other potentially unwanted applications or useless services. You might be tricked into providing your sensitive information, installing malicious software, or suffering from financial losses due to phishing messages.
Search-mon05.xyz can redirect to several different web addresses before showing search results
Removal steps explained
In cases where the browser homepage gets hijacked by a suspicious web address, it might be difficult to determine which app is causing these symptoms. In other words, you won't find an extension or application titled Search-mon05.xyz on your system, and it can be named virtually as anything.
To start off the removal process, we recommend you first perform a full system scan with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes, or another powerful security software. This is especially important if you don't remember installing any suspicious apps recently – there could be even malware that feeds you secondary payloads without you noticing.
While security software is likely to find and eliminate the potentially unwanted application causing Search-mon05.xyz redirects, we recommend checking the relevant sections manually. Don't forget to clean your browsers regardless of which removal method you choose.
1. Remove apps and extensions
Let's start with programs installed on the system level. Just look at the list of the installed apps and then remove items you don't recognize. If you are not sure, skip this step.
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
While moving apps into Trash is how you delete most normal applications, adware tends to create additional files for persistence. Thus, you should look for .plist and other files that could be related to the virus. If you are not sure, skip this step entirely.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
Next, you should focus on removing unwanted browser extensions. You can easily find them via the “Extensions” button next to the URL bar (on some browsers, you can simply see small icons that correlate with add-ons installed) – select Menu and then pick Uninstall.
2. Clean web browsers
In order to stop data tracking performed by various third parties, we recommend removing browser caches, as we explain below. This can also be done with the RestoroIntego repair and maintenance software, which can automatically clean the leftover files and repair damaged system components to prevent crashes, errors, and similar issues that could arise under various circumstances.
Note that cleaning cookies and other web data files regularly can reduce the risk of being a victim of a dangerous session hijacking attack, which can result in loss of accounts or even identity fraud.
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content, and press Clear.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Click on Menu and go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and services.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Under Time range, pick All time.
- Select Clear now.
MS Edge (legacy)
- Click on the Menu (three horizontal dots at the top-right of the browser window) and select Privacy & security.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Select everything (apart from passwords, although you might want to include Media licenses as well, if applicable) and click on Clear.
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
How to prevent from getting browser hijacker
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.
- ^ Browser hijacking. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ Phishing attacks. Imperva. Application and data security.
- ^ Allie Johnson. Session hijacking: What is a session hijacking and how does it work?. Norton. Security research blog.