Snapdo does not provide the best search experience
Snap.do is a browser extension by Resoft Ltd. that promises to enhance browsing experience by providing useful features, such as snapping browser’s screen or getting quick access to social networks. However, security experts note that it’s a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and a browser hijacker.
The add-on has an official website. However, Snapdo is also actively spreading freeware and shareware packages. Thus, it might enter the system unnoticed and cause unwanted changes on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. After the hijack, it might:
- modify or create new Windows Registry entries;
- alter browser’s settings;
- set search.snap.do or similar domain as the default homepage, search engine, and new tab URL;
- provide altered search results;
- trigger redirects to promotional websites;
- display aggressive or misleading ads;
- track information about users.
The most obvious sign that Snap.do virus affected your browser is search redirects to http://search.snap.do/?a=ThAM4wVlRt and similar pages. The hijacker might change your default and built-in search engines in order to control user’s behavior and redirect them to affiliate websites. Please, take into account that this search site can easily redirect you to an insecure website filled with malicious links
If you noticed snap.do redirect problem during your search sessions, you should check your PC with reliable anti-spyware because it's one of the most obvious signs showing that your PC was hijacked. Security experts from Bedynet.ru also remind staying away from commercial content displayed by the hijacker to avoid installation of malicious content and suffering from phishing attempts.
Just like any other browser hijacker, Snapdo virus may start tracking your browsing habits. Here's what the developers of this program claim about it:
Statistical Information we collect (……) including, inter alia, advertisements viewed, pages browsed, search inquiries, offers and services that interest you, the type of browser you are using, your IP address, the URL you have come from and the time spent at that URL, cookies and your domain type and server.
Therefore, you should not delay Snapdo removal. Once this shady domain appears on the screen, you have to scan the system with Reimage or other anti-malware to terminate all hijacker-related entries from the system. It’s the quickest method to get rid of all changes that were made by the PUP.
You can also remove Snap.do manually by following our prepared guide below. However, you should be attentive and delete all files, programs and browser hijackers that may have installed to the hijacker or were installed with it.
Applications related to Snap.do virus
Snapdo.inspsearch.com is one of the search engines that might be set as default after the Snap.do hijack. This questionable application might redirect to sponsored websites directly from the search results link. While some of them are absolutely legit and safe to open, others might belong to cyber criminals that might want to obtain sensitive information or infect your PC with malware.
Search.snapdo.com is another domain that users might found after the installation of Snapdo extension. Just like the previous search tool, this one also is known for being capable of delivering altered search results and pushing commercial content to the users. The problem is that some of the links or ads might be misleading or malware-laden.
IToolBox Toolbar is a browser extension that has been known for spreading Snapdo and setting one of its search engines as affected web browser’s homepage or default search engine. Additionally, it might also install a bunch of other PUPs that might cause other browsing-related issues, such as redirects, aggressive pop-ups, etc.
Thus, if you have installed this toolbar and found replaced search engine, you have to uninstall it in order to remove Snapdo search services as well. If you want to keep this extension, you will have to use this search engine. None of this is recommended.
Browse for the Cause extension is another highly suspicious application. Its functionality is questioned by security experts. The add-on claims to donate money to charities. However, it operates as a browser hijacker and promotes Snap.do services. Therefore, keeping it installed is not recommended.
Shopping Helper Smartbar is a potentially unwanted program that is capable of hijacking popular web browsers and hijacking their homepage or default search engine. The research has shown, that it typically sets snap.do instead of the default browser’s startup page.
However, it’s not the only feature why users are advised to stay away from this shopping assistant. It might also display misleading ads, fake shopping offers or find other ways to obtain personal user’s information.
Software bundling is the main distribution method of the browser hijacker
You may easily install this program on your computer in a bundle with free programs. In order to avoid that, you should avoid illegal programs because they may be filled with malicious components.
Of course, we must also recommend you to be very careful when downloading freeware and shareware. If you think that you really need one or other program, you should select Custom or Advanced installation process because it will help you to see what “optional” components are hiding inside.
Uninstall guide of the Snapdo
We highly recommend opting for automatic Snapdo removal. This application spreads bundled and might bring other PUPs into the system. They might be hard to find and identify. As a result, you might be spending ages with locating and terminating hijacker-related components from the system.
However, if running a system scan with reputable anti-malware software does not seem right for you, we suggest checking manual removal guide below. In order to remove Snapdo entirely, you have to uninstall suspicious programs from the computer, unknown extensions from each of the browsers, and reset them.
You can remove Snap.do automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Snap.do manual removal:
Manual Snap.do Removal Guide:
Get rid of Snap.do from Windows systems
To uninstall Snap.do virus and prevent its reappearance in the future, you need to remove every element of this browser hijacker, including SnapDo toolbar, Snap.Do Updated, Shopping Helper Smartbar, Saving Expert Smartbar and entries by ReSoft Ltd.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Snap.do and related programs
Here, look for Snap.do or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Snap.do from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Eliminate Snap.do from Mac OS X system
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Snap.do or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Delete Snap.do from Internet Explorer (IE)
Follow these steps to terminate all hijacker-related components from the Internet Explorer:
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Snap.do and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Snap.do removal.
Uninstall Snap.do from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
In order to remove Snap.do from the Firefox, follow this guide:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Snap.do and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Snap.do removal.
Erase Snap.do from Google Chrome
Uninstall questionable Chrome extensions and reset the browser as shown below:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Snap.do and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Snap.do removal.
Get rid of Snap.do from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Snap.do or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Snap.do, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Snap.do removal process.