XUY ransomware (Decryption Methods Included) - Free Guide
XUY virus Removal Guide
What is XUY ransomware?
XUY ransomware is a cryptovirus that claims all of your files would be shared on the internet if you do not pay
XUY ransomware is a malicious cyber threat that allows cybercriminals to gain profit directly from people.
XUY ransomware is a cyber threat that locks most of the stored data and demands a ransom in Bitcoin worth of 400€. Ransomware starts modifying the system immediately after infiltration and then activates the encryption module that is designed to locate all targeted files on the device and encode them using encryption algorithm. There is no information about the exact encryption method, but when this process is done, locked-data becomes useless because the original code is changed. Ransomware can affect anything from photos, videos to music, documents or archives, and databases. When the process is complete XUY ransomware virus drops a ransom note on the screen, and the message informs about the attack stating that the only solution for your encrypted data is to pay 400€ in Bitcoin and hope that they would get back to you via email with the decryption key. However, you shouldn't contact them via provided email@example.com email address because it may lead to permanent data or money loss.
|Ransom amount||400€ in Bitcoin|
|Symptoms||Files cannot be opened, extension placed at the end and ransom message demands the payment|
|Distribution||Spam email attachments|
|Elimination||Use RestoroIntego and fix virus damage after XUY ransomware removal using your antivirus|
XUY ransomware virus compromises your computer by adding files on the system and corrupting already existing ones. However, the payload file is not the only malicious addition. You may locate these files in:
Ransomware can write these files directly on the system, add new registry keys or alter existing ones and corrupt various other parts of the system to keep the XUY ransomware on the system and more persistent. This cyber threat infiltrates the targeted device and then starts these modifications. The file-locking process is not the first thing cryptovirus is set to perform. However, encryption is a reasonably quick process.
When your data becomes useless and encoded files get marked with a .xuy file extension, XUY ransomware generates the ransom note file and places the ransom demanding message on the system. When the window is displayed on the screen the victims see the following:
YOUR PC XUY BALLS xD
“Works for XUY”
Your personal files were encrypted.
You have 12 hours to decrypt the files.
For the interpretation of it came bitcoins for 400€ at this address: 12ZhVHBfxdwsstomsT6mzz18jTKN7uTc2r
Send evidence photos to the address firstname.lastname@example.org
Then we will send you the recovery tool via email!
If there is no payment, all data will be merged into The Internet.
Any attempt to decrypt files will damage your files.
NOTICE. Even if you fix the MBR, your PC is dead.
The whole registry is fucked and your files are infected.
In the ransom note, XUY ransomware developers state that the only solution for the victim is paying the ransom and doing so in less than 12 hours. But other security experts and we do not recommend paying these criminals. The best solution, in this case, is virus termination and file recovery using backed up data. Unfortunately, not everyone has their files saved on cloud services in copies in the external device.
You need to employ a good antivirus program and perform automatic XUY ransomware removal. Using tools like anti-malware programs can improve the overall performance of your computer when removing malware at the same time.
Make sure that you use a reliable program to remove XUY ransomware, so there is no risk of getting additional cyber intruders or questionable results. When your system is clear, double-check for virus damage using PC repair tools like RestoroIntego, and then you can plug in your external device or restore files using data recovery software.
XUY ransomware is a cryptovirus that demands to pay in 12 hours or less or your data would end up on the Internet.
The malicious infection is triggered by executable file from spam email attachment
The main file that is responsible for the ransomware attack is a malicious executable that gets dropped on the system via an infected email attachment. Distribution method used to spread ransomware and similar malware is spam email campaigns when email includes malicious file as an attachment.
Massive spam email campaigns targeting users worldwide and a hacker can easily obtain a large number of victims' addresses. Usually, these emails pose as sent from representatives of companies, services and containing financial information. However, PayPal, DHL, FedEx or Amazon are not sending receipts to people that are not using their services.
These emails often aim to trick you to open the file attachment, download it on the system or open a link provided in the email. The minute you download the document and open the attached file on the device ransomware payload is triggered and released on the computer.
Terminate XUY ransomware and fix the remaining damage on the system
To remove XUY ransomware, you need to employ anti-malware tools and scan the system fully, so the program detects this intruder and removes all related files. Unfortunately, you cannot locate the virus yourself and based on additional changes to the system ransomware is a persistent threat.
Since the automatic XUY ransomware removal is the best choice, make sure to use reputable tools for every step of the malware elimination process. A full system scan should be followed by system repair using RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. There are additional files and even virus damage that you need to fix before attempting data recovery.
Ransomware can encrypt additional files once again, and you lose your data permanently. Double-check if the system is clear and then replace encoded files with copies from the external device. If you do not have file backups, we offer a few data recovery software suggestions below the article. Restore your data affected by XUY ransomware virus.
Getting rid of XUY virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
To remove XUY ransomware from the computer completely, you may need to enter the Safe Mode with Networking because crypto malware may disable some of the features of your antivirus. Follow the steps and reboot the device:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove XUY using System Restore
Try System Restore feature on your Windows device and get rid of the crypto-demanding threat
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of XUY. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove XUY from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by XUY, you can use several methods to restore them:
You should try Data Recovery Pro for encoded files
You can use Data Recovery Pro on encrypted or accidentally deleted files but make sure that XUY ransomware is terminated
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by XUY ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature is helpful when your data becomes locked
If you have already enabled System Restore, you can follow the guide and recover files using Windows Previous Versions:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer is an alternative for data recovery when you haven't backed your files up
When Shadow Volume Copies remain untouched by XUY ransomware, ShadowExplorer can restore affected data
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Decryption tool is not available
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from XUY and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.
- ^ What is ransomware?. Trendmicro. Enterprise cybersecurity solutions.
- ^ Rick Correa. How fast does ransomware encrypt files?. Barkly. Endpoint protection.
- ^ Viruset. Viruset. Spyware related news.