Back Orifice (aka BackOrifice2K) is a cyber threat from the top of danger level scale. It’s a very dangerous Remote Administration Tool that helps cyber criminals to access your computer from a remove control and do with it whatever they want. Regarding a number of malicious activities that this Back Orifice Trojan can initiate surpassed other cyber threats, such as ransomware or spyware. This remove administration tool has been developed by a group of people who call themselves “The Cult of the Dead Cow”. It was written in C++ programming language. It has started spreading in 1995, which is a long time ago, so it’s natural that various diverse versions of this threat have emerged. Some of the versions include such functions as “hijacker”, “password capture”, “keylogger” etc.
What activities does Back Orifice perform?
Back Orifice Remote Administration Tool is programmed to access computers remotely and then perform various diverse functions. To illustrate what abilities this application has, we will list some of its traits. Back Orifice can:
- Spawn a text-based application on a TCP port.
- Stop an application from listening for connections.
- List the applications currently listening for connections.
- Create a directory. Lists files and directory. You must specify a wildcard if you want more than one file to be listed. Removes a directory.
- Create an export on the server. Deletes an export.
- List currently shared resources (name, drive, access, password).
- Log keystrokes on the server machine to a text file. Ends keyboard logging. To end keyboard logging from the text client, use ‘keylog stop’.
- Disconnect the server machine from a network resource. Connects the server machine to a network resource.
- View all network interfaces, domains, servers, and exports visible from the server machine.
- Ping the host machine.
- Return the machine name and the BO version number.
- Execute a Back Orifice plugin. Tell a specific plugin to shut down. List active plugins or the return value of a plugin that has existed.
- Redirect incomming tcp connections or UDP packets to another IP address. Stop a port redirection.
- Create a key in the registry. Delete a key from the registry. Delete a value from the registy, etc.
How can Back Orifice infect the system?
According to security experts, it’s not possible to know when Back Orifice’s attack is taking place, so it’s very important to ensure a full system protection. Typically, cyber criminals who monitor this infection is spread via spam e-mails. Once a computer user clicks on the attachment, the virus is executed and roots deep into the system. Consequently, the machine can start working abnormally because hacked may start viewing and modifying the files and registries on your computer. Back Orifice Trojan can log your keystrokes, log files, take screen shots and send them to hackers or can simply crash the computer. Thus, this virus needs removal ASAP. It goes without saying that such a malicious application cannot be removed manually. Thus, if you suspect it to be hiding in your computer, our recommendation would be to check the system with Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes.
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. It is a hassle when your website is protected from suspicious connections and unauthorized IP addresses.
The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address. If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for server or network manager that need to monitor connections and activities. This is how you bypass some of the authentications factors and can remotely use your banking accounts without triggering suspicious with each login.
VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world. It is better to clock the access to your website from different IP addresses. So you can keep the project safe and secure when you have the dedicated IP address VPN and protected access to the content management system.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer various losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Software issues created by malware or direct data loss due to encryption can lead to problems with your device or permanent damage. When you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work.
It is crucial to create updates to your backups after any changes on the device, so you can get back to the point you were working on when malware changes anything or issues with the device causes data or performance corruption. Rely on such behavior and make file backup your daily or weekly habit.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware occurs out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the system restoring purpose.