Chumsearch – Mac virus which can affect your web browser and initiate continuous redirects to sponsored domains
Chumsearch main search page
Questions about Chumsearch.com
Chumsearch – a browser hijacker which is closely related to other fake search engines, such as Trovigo and Trovi. This potentially unwanted program (PUP) has been actively used to hijack Mac operating systems with the help of MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, ValueApps, and similar freeware. Technically, it is not a virus. It is a potentially unwanted program which relies on bundling while trying to infiltrate target systems. Once it is done, Chumsearch.com attaches itself to Safari, Chrome, IE and other web browsers and starts redirecting its victim to third party websites.
|Type||Browser hijacker (PUP)|
|Affected systems||Mac OS X (mostly) and Windows|
|Compatible browsers||Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, etc.|
|Symptoms||Altered front page and other browser settings, sponsored links are displayed in search results, intrusive advertisement pops on every site visited, etc.|
|Elimination||Automatic – perform full system scan with Reimage or manual – check for instructions below|
The main purpose of Chumsearch is to generate revenue which is gained with the help of pay-per-click scheme. As soon as this PUP settles down, it starts collecting its victim’s search queries, sites visited, ads clicked and similar information which is typically related to his/hers search sessions. At the moment, Mac OS X is the most affected operating system but Windows users should be also aware about this threat.
Additionally, after getting more knowledge about victim’s search sessions, it starts filling its search results with links leading its victim to sponsored content. The most important thing you should understand is that these links are hardly monitored by people who are hiding behind Chumsearch and there is no guarantee that you won’t find yourself redirected to a malicious domain.
Additional features applied by this search provider are also related to viruses that belong to browser hijacker category. According to the latest analysis, it might install various toolbars, extensions, and plugins behind your back. Additionally, by using this corrupted search engine, you won’t be able to find any relevant information because it includes sponsored links in its search results and prevents users from accessing Google, Bing or other reliable search providers. Apparently, you cannot trust this search engine; you should remove Chumsearch as soon as it appears on your screen.
To prevent redirects to sponsored, as well as malicious, websites, you need to stay away from ads and in-text links brought to you by this virus. You need only one click to find yourself on a site that was created for spreading malware. Instead of trying to avoid using the affected browser and this search engine, make sure you take care of Chumsearch removal. For that, we recommend using Reimage.
israeli based PUP
As you can imagine, any reliable search provider wouldn’t collaborate with shady developers. Keep in mind that this hijacker is a serious threat to your computer and your privacy. It might monitor your browsing activity and collect information about your favorite websites or search queries. No one can guarantee that this information won’t be shared with third-parties. We strongly believe that your personal data should be kept in private by eliminating Chumsearch virus from the system.
Protecting the system from browser hijackers
PUPs are distributed alongside other free applications, so it is important to install programs carefully. To avoid adware, browser hijacker, and similar viruses, make sure you double check every freeware before downloading it to the system.
The next important step is to adjust the installation settings properly. Now, do you think that “recommended” settings are worth your trust? Definitely not. Usually, they conceal agreements to install additional software, for example, browser hijackers, adware, suspicious add-ons, and plug-ins.
Do not risk and opt for Advanced or Custom installation option and review the components of your download. If you see ANY suspicious offers to install additional software, opt them out without hesitation. Most likely, such software is potentially unwanted one, and you will need to consider resetting your browsers in the future.
Chumsearch browser hijacker might seem like a clean an reliable search engine. However, it is a dubious application which should be removed.
Ways to remove Chumsearch from Macbook and similar devices
If infected, we believe that you want to remove this annoying program from your computer. Luckily, it is not a complex computer virus, and you can get rid of this redirect virus quite easily. For that, you need to locate this browser hijacker on your computer and delete it. Additionally, you should reset your browsers one-by-one. If you are new to this procedure, check a detailed Chumsearch removal guide below this post.
If you need an easier way to remove this browser hijacker, apply for spyware/malware removal program. We strongly recommend you to remove Chumsearch automatically, if you are new to viruses and their elimination. Also, security program will protect your computer from other possible infections in the future.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Chumsearch.com, follow these steps:
Get rid of Chumsearch.com from Windows systems
To remove this browser hijacker, you need to find every app that could be related to it. We have found that MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, and ValueApps are related to Chum search. Make sure you look for them and remove them from your computer.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Chumsearch.com and related programs
Here, look for Chumsearch.com or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Chumsearch.com from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Uninstall Chumsearch.com from Mac OS X system
To remove Chumsearch from Mac, check your Mac OS X for MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect and ValueApps. Get rid of these entries and prevent their reappearance in the future. You have to uninstall all of these entries!
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Chumsearch.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Chumsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Look through the list of extensions and look for suspicious entries. This virus might have installed add-ons without your permission, and you should uninstall them without any hesitation!
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Chumsearch.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Chumsearch.com removal.
Erase Chumsearch.com from Google Chrome
Check the list of extensions and look for various plugins that might be related to redirect virus. If you find any, uninstall them.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Chumsearch.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Chumsearch.com removal.
Get rid of Chumsearch.com from Safari
Follow the instructions to remove Chum Search from the browser completely. Look for questionable toolbars, extensions or other entries and uninstall them.
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Chumsearch.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Chumsearch.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Chumsearch.com removal process.