Chumsearch – browser-hijacking virus which has been attacking Mac computers
Chumsearch – a browser hijacker which is closely related to other fake search engines, such as Trovigo.com and Trovi.com. This potentially unwanted program (PUP) has been actively used to hijack Mac operating systems with the help of MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, ValueApps, and similar freeware. Technique which is typically used to promote freeware is called bundling as it helps spreading two different programs as one. As a result, Chumsearch virus appears on the system without an appropriate permission asked.
Once this browser hijacker infiltrates the system, it alters all popular web browsers and modifies their settings to deliver sponsored content. The main purpose of Chumsearch is to generate revenue which is gained with the help of pay-per-click scheme.
Chum Search virus applies the same features as other browser hijackers. It might install various toolbars, extensions, and plugins; initiates unwanted redirects delivers advertisements and alters search results. By using a corrupted search engine, you won’t be able to find any relevant information because it includes sponsored links in its search results and prevents users from accessing Google, Bing or other reliable search providers. At the moment, Mac OS X is the most affected operating system.
According to experts, redirects caused by this virus are the biggest issue victims can run into as they can lead them to visit malicious websites. You need only one click delivered by this search provider to end up on the site that was created for spreading malware. We can recommend avoiding using the affected browser and this search engine. In this case, make sure you take care of Chumsearch removal.
Questions about Chumsearch.com
As you can imagine, any reliable search provider wouldn’t collaborate with shady developers. Apparently, you cannot trust this search engine; you should remove Chumsearch as soon as it appears on your screen.
The hijacker is a potential threat to your computer and your privacy. It might monitor your browsing activity and collect information about your favorite websites or search queries. No one can guarantee that this information won’t be shared with third-parties. We strongly believe that your personal data should be kept in private.
Protecting the system from browser hijackers
PUPs are distributed alongside other free applications, so it is important to install programs carefully. To avoid adware, browser hijacker, and similar viruses, make sure you double check every freeware before downloading it to the system.
The next important step is to adjust the installation settings properly. Now, do you think that “recommended” settings are worth your trust? Definitely not. Usually, they conceal agreements to install additional software, for example, browser hijackers, adware, suspicious add-ons, and plug-ins.
Do not risk and opt for Advanced or Custom installation option and review the components of your download. If you see ANY suspicious offers to install additional software, opt them out without hesitation. Most likely, such software is potentially unwanted one, and you will need to consider resetting your browsers in the future.
Ways to remove Chumsearch from Macbook and similar devices
If infected, we believe that you want to remove this annoying program from your computer. Luckily, it is not a complex computer virus, and you can get rid of Chumsearch quite easily. For that, you need to locate this browser hijacker on your computer and delete it. Additionally, you should reset your browsers one-by-one. If you are new to this procedure, check a detailed Chumsearch removal guide below this post.
If you need an easier way to remove this browser hijacker, apply for spyware/malware removal program. We strongly recommend you to remove Chumsearch automatically, if you are new to viruses and their elimination. Also, security program will protect your computer from other possible infections in the future.
You can remove Chumsearch.com automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Chumsearch.com Removal Guide:
Get rid of Chumsearch.com from Windows systems
To remove this browser hijacker, you need to find every app that could be related to it. We have found that MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect, and ValueApps are related to Chum search. Make sure you look for them and remove them from your computer.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Chumsearch.com and related programs
Here, look for Chumsearch.com or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Chumsearch.com from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Uninstall Chumsearch.com from Mac OS X system
To remove Chumsearch from Mac, check your Mac OS X for MPlayerX, MessageViewer Toolbar, NicePlayer, SearchProtect and ValueApps to remove Chumsearch.com from the system and prevent its reappearance in the future. You have to uninstall all of these entries!
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Chumsearch.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Chumsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Look through the list of extensions and look for suspicious entries. Chumsearch.com virus might have installed add-ons without your permission, and you should uninstall them without any hesitation!
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Chumsearch.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Chumsearch.com removal.
Erase Chumsearch.com from Google Chrome
Check the list of extensions and look for various plugins that might be related to Chumsearch.com. If you find any, uninstall them.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Chumsearch.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Chumsearch.com removal.
Get rid of Chumsearch.com from Safari
Follow the instructions to remove Chum Search from the browser completely. Look for questionable toolbars, extensions or other entries and uninstall them.
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Chumsearch.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Chumsearch.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Chumsearch.com removal process.