Multi-searches.com browser hijacker (Free Guide)
Multi-searches.com browser hijacker Removal Guide
What is Multi-searches.com browser hijacker?
Multi-searches.com is a browser hijacker that changes your search preferences to insert more ads
Multi-searches.com is a browser hijacker that changes the way you browse the web
Multi-searches.com is a redirect you may detect taking control of your Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or another web browser. If that's the case, you've got a potentially unwanted program on the system that will most likely show up as an extension. These applications aren't particularly harmful, but they are unlikely to be useful either. Browser hijackers exhibit a lot of suspicious and deceptive characteristics; therefore, they should be removed as soon as possible.
As soon as the PUP is installed, Multi-searches.com will take over the homepage and new tab settings. Besides, the search provider would also be replaced with Bing, although not in its pure form, as it is impacted by the hijacker.
Users would be exposed to all kinds of advertisements and clicks that profit the hijacker creators rather than seeing real links that correspond to the search query. This may prevent people from finding what they're looking for and direct them to websites promoting questionable information or advertising other potentially unwanted applications.
|Type||Browser hijacker, potentially unwanted application|
|Distribution||Fake ads, software bundles|
|Symptoms||Homepage and new tab address hijacked by the extension; promotional links are displayed as top search results; intrusive ads on various visited websites|
|Risks||Installation of other potentially unwanted programs/malware, personal data disclosure to unknown parties, monetary loss|
|Removal||Remove the undesirable browser extension by going to your browser's settings. Using SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner security software to check the system can also ensure that no malware is running in the background|
|Other tips||Upon elimination of all potentially unwanted apps and malware, we recommend running a scan with RestoroIntego that can clean browsers and fix virus damage|
Browser hijackers: how do they spread and how to avoid them
Some people don't install Multi-searches.com on purpose, thinking it just appeared out of nowhere. This is not the case, however, because browser hijackers are frequently installed by users without their knowledge. PUPs do not replicate in the same manner as malware (e.g., ransomware or trojans) and are always downloaded by users through deception.
Multiple apps can be distributed simultaneously by websites thanks to software bundling, sometimes without the user's awareness or consent. Due to the revenue generated by pay-per-install operations, this is a widespread practice among third-party websites. But doing so can lead to people installing unwanted and even dangerous apps on their computers, especially when we're talking about places of dubious origin, such as torrents or warez sites.
We advise great caution while installing new programs from third-party sources to avoid falling victim to this fairly unfair tactic. For instance, you should always ensure that you choose Advanced settings instead of Recommended in the installation window, remove all the ticks from pre-ticked boxes, and be on the alert for misplaced buttons and fine print – these techniques are frequently used to trick people, especially those who are in a rush to get things done.
Multi-searches.com takes over browser's homepage and new tab
How to remove Multi-searches.com hijacker
Although they can be annoying, browser hijackers are not considered to be as harmful as malware. However, because they may jeopardize a user's browsing experience and breach their privacy thanks to data monitoring techniques, these applications should not be ignored and should not be allowed to operate in the background. Removing all potentially unwanted applications from the system is something that's beneficial for everybody – even if the hijacker is not malicious, it does not provide any positives for users.
As Multi-searches.com spreads as a browser plugin, you should find and eliminate it first. As a precautionary measure, we recommend that you check your system for more dangerous malware before removing the extension. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes may do so in a matter of minutes. You can then remove the plugin after you've verified that your computer is virus-free:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the window's top-right).
- Select Add-ons.
- Here, select the unwanted plugin and click Remove.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Delete unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Don't forget to take care of your privacy
As mentioned, browser hijackers are well known for their data-tracking capabilities, similar to most potentially unwanted applications. This is because data is valuable to marketing companies, and once collected, it can be sold or shared for profit. To make this happen, third-party applications often employ various tracking activities thanks to items like cookies, web beacons, pixels, and similar tracking technologies.
These tiny items may be placed on your local machine and continue their operation even after Multi-searches.com removal. Therefore, it is important to make sure that web caches where these trackers are stored are cleaned. Besides, clearing caches regularly can improve your overall security and prevent bugs and errors during browsing.
The easiest way to clean your system from PUP leftover files is by employing RestoroIntego. This tool can get rid of all trackers and junk from the system and also fix any issues that may arise after a malware infection, resolving system crashes, program errors, and similar issues. If you would instead clean your browsers manually, proceed with the following steps:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content, and press Clear.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Click on Menu and go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and services.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Under Time range, pick All time.
- Select Clear now.
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
- Click on the Gear icon > Internet options and select the Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset.
How to prevent from getting browser hijacker
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.
- ^ Ransomware. Imperva. Application and data protection.
- ^ What is Pay-Per-Install?. Codefuel. Monetization solutions for websites, apps, extensions and search engines.
- ^ Cookies and Web Beacons. NTT. NTT Communications.