WHAT IS PACKAGETRACER TOOLBAR?
PackageTracer Toolbar is yet another doubtful application that is used for promoting Ask search and boosting web traffic to third party web pages. The company that owns this toolbar is already known for the distribution of tens of useless customized toolbars that might seem very useful but actually do nothing more than modify settings on web browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozzila Firefox browser, monitor web browsing activities, display all sorts of ads, and so on. We have already written about such apps, for example, Dezipper Toolbar, Free Radio Cast Toolbar, EmailFanatic Toolbar, EasyDocMerge Toolbar, etc. In this particular case, PackageTracer should help you with tracking your parcels. However, while it seems like a nice feature, there is more you should know before making your decision whether to keep it on your browser or not.
- First of all, once installed, this toolbar will change your browser configurations. It will provide you with a different homepage and search engine which will now be /http://home.tb.ask.com/. While Ask.com is a completely legitimate search engine, when configured with the toolbars that belong to the developer (the name of which we cannot specify here), it will display sponsored links.
- While these links are not harmful in themselves, keep in mind that there is no guarantee that clicking on them will reroute to reliable web pages. These sites might feature some questionable content that might result in the infestation of your computer. As the developer stated:
You hereby acknowledge and agree that by using an MS Product you may be exposed to Content that may be offensive, indecent or objectionable in your community […]
MS Products are exposed to various security issues, and should be regarded as unsecure. By accepting this Agreement, you acknowledge and accept that the MS Products and any information you download or offer to share by means of an MS Product, may be exposed to unauthorized access, interception, corruption, damage or misuse, and should be regarded as insecure. You accept all responsibility for such security risks and any damage resulting therefrom.
- What is more, your browsing-related information may be tracked as well. If you continue to use /http://home.tb.ask.com/, information about the websites you visit, IP address, and your PC location may be recorded. It might also be shared with third parties in order to generate and display ads that would be more appealing to you. Finally, apps like PackageTracer Toolbar are usually installed without user’s consent which does not seem like a nice move. Therefore, consider if you need this toolbar on your machine or not. If you have decided to remove it, you can find PackageTracer Toolbar removal guide in the Page2.
HOW CAN PACKAGETRACER TOOLBAR land on MY COMPUTER?
PackageTracer Toolbar can be downloaded from its official website. However, many users report that it has appeared on their computers without their consent and just like out of nowhere. The family of those toolbars is known for the distribution of their production in bundles with some free software. It means that if a user downloads some free software, he/she can download some other programs with it as well. These programs might be hidden in Advanced and Custom options. They require special attention because distributors of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) like PackageTracer Toolbar exploit the fact that users tend to skip these steps. Therefore, you should never skip any of the installation steps. Another important thing to remember is that you should always prefer downloading from official websites. Avoid all sorts of installers and download managers which are notorious for distributing bundled software. They actually employ pay-per-install (PPI) principle and receive revenue every time someone downloads a bundle.
Recently, the developer of this program contacted us asking us to remove this post from 2-spyware.com website. We believe that we shouldn’t do that as long as programs that we offer for the removal of PackageTracer Toolbar can detect it and help users to remove it from the system. As it is mentioned under each of download buttons, we ARE affiliated with these anti-malware programs, and while some of them are free, others can remove a virus only after purchasing them. These mentions fully fulfill each of the requirements of FTC.
Nevertheless, we have recently decided to make a revision of this and other posts that are related to this developer. We claim that all of them are described properly.
HOW CAN I REMOVE PACKAGETRACER TOOLBAR?
In order to be sure that this toolbar is removed from your computer once and for all, you should trust this task to some reliable anti-spyware. Nevertheless, you can also perform its removal by following these steps:
- Uninstall programs that are related to PackageTracer Toolbar from your computer:
1. Click Start → Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
2. When in the Add/Remove Programs/Uninstall a Program, look for PackageTracer Toolbar and other programs that are unknown to you.
3. Click ‘Uninstall’ and then OK to save the changes.
- Reset your web browser:
1. Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select ‘Tools’ -> ‘Extensions’.
2. Here, select unfamiliar plugins (PackageTracer Toolbar, MyWay, MyWebSearch, etc.) and select trash icon to delete these entries.
3. In order to change your homepage, click on menu icon, choose ‘Settings’ -> ‘On startup’ section -> ‘set pages’.
4. Here, eliminate myway.com by clicking on the “X” and enter your preferred website.
5. In order to change your default search engine, click on the menu icon -> ‘Settings’ -> ‘Search’ section.
6. Here, click ‘Manage Search Engines…’ and add your preferred domain name.
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. It is a hassle when your website is protected from suspicious connections and unauthorized IP addresses.
The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address. If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for server or network manager that need to monitor connections and activities. This is how you bypass some of the authentications factors and can remotely use your banking accounts without triggering suspicious with each login.
VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world. It is better to clock the access to your website from different IP addresses. So you can keep the project safe and secure when you have the dedicated IP address VPN and protected access to the content management system.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer various losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Software issues created by malware or direct data loss due to encryption can lead to problems with your device or permanent damage. When you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work.
It is crucial to create updates to your backups after any changes on the device, so you can get back to the point you were working on when malware changes anything or issues with the device causes data or performance corruption. Rely on such behavior and make file backup your daily or weekly habit.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware occurs out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the system restoring purpose.