Search Anonymo and reasons not to trust it for the protection of your anonymity
Search Anonymo virus is a deceptive piece of malware, which falls into the category of browser hijackers . The program seems to be primarily focused on infecting Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers, but it is not limited to affecting other browsers in the future as well.
This application attempts to force victims to switch from their default search engines to Searchanonymo.com. Software developers seemingly do it for a good cause — this search engine, unlike other search engines, is a tool which will protect user’s privacy online.
This potentially unwanted program (PUP) promises not to track the user and enhance the browsing experience by providing the most relevant search results; however, we consider these statements to be quite deceptive, to say at least.
Once installed, Searchanonymo.com redirect virus hijacks your browser’s Omnibox and provides its own search results when you try to search the Internet straight from browser’s address bar.
However, remember that part of these results are paid by third-party companies that want certain links to appear in the SearchAnonymo search results.
These modified search results can contain links that point to completely secure sites, but you might also come across results filled with dangerous links as well. Therefore, we highly recommend you to rely on your common sense and not browse through websites that seem shady.
It seems that this hijacker attempts to make money via pay-per-click advertising scheme but hardly cares about the trustworthiness of links that it promotes via search results. It is one of the reasons why we do not recommend using this search engine and suggest you remove Search Anonymo right away.
Search Anonymo hijacker can be installed from its official website, but you can also install it alongside various free programs. Once installed, it changes default search settings in Chrome and Firefox.
On top of that, all these claims about safer search experience seem to be an utter nonsense. Although this PUP promises not to track user’s activity online and not even have a single peek at your search and browsing history, we are afraid that it isn’t true and that you should stop using Search Anonymo search engine ASAP.
Questions about Search Anonymo virus
When You visit a Product-Website, our servers will temporarily save every request in a logfile. The following data are registered and stored by us without any involvement from You:
- the IP address of the requesting terminal device;
- the date and time of access;
- the name and URL of the file called up;
- the website from which the file is accessed;
- the operating system of your terminal device and the browser you are using;
- the name of your internet access provider;
Besides, this suspicious program says to be using Microsoft or Yahoo search services to deliver search results, and that these companies might collect user’s search keywords, IP address, time and date of search queries, and more.
Besides, developers of this questionable free program admit to be using collected information to transfer it to “third-party content providers and providers of sponsored links.”
It becomes apparent that this suspicious search tool actually tracks the user, and its claims about safe and private browsing opportunities are just vain. Therefore, to free up some space on your PC, we suggest you complete Search Anonymo removal using the Reimage software.
Software distribution mechanism
First of all, you have to remember that despite being annoying, this browser parasite is a legitimate program. This means that it does not use any illegal tricks to install itself on victim’s computer system, and it even has its official website that users can visit and download the described program from there.
However, some computer users still end up installing this program on their computers without realizing it, and there’s no surprise why they start asking questions about Search Anonymo’s distribution.
Most of the time, users unknowingly install it alongside freeware or shareware programs, and mostly it happens due to lack of user’s attention to the software installation procedure, which typically provides several installation options for the user to choose from.
Users tend to wrongly assume that auto-selected options (Default/Standard/Basic) are the most trustworthy ones. In reality, these installation modes contain agreements to accept third-party programs bundled with the main software, and these bundled items usually appear to be adware, browser hijackers and other suspicious applications that no one wants to install.
It goes without saying that you must decompose such software package before you start installing your download. To do that:
- Choose Custom/Advanced installation option
- Deselect all suggested items one after another
- Agree to Install your download only after you make sure that all bundled items were opted out.
Search Anonymo removal from the infected browsers
Please use instructions provided below to remove Search Anonymo virus from affected web browsers.
You shouldn’t ignore the problem; switching the affected web browser with another one won’t allow you to run away from this hijacker because it can affect multiple web browsers at once. Therefore, we suggest you start thinking about Search Anonymo removal.
If you do not like the idea of trying to delete this browser hijacker manually, you can perform a quick system scan with an anti-spyware or anti-malware program and allow it to eliminate this hijacker automatically.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Search Anonymo virus, follow these steps:
Erase Search Anonymo from Windows systems
Check Programs and Features folder and uninstall all suspicious programs you can find there. We strongly recommend deleting Search Anonymo software (if you can find it in the currently installed programs' list, of course). If you cannot, proceed to the next step of this removal guide and fix each of the affected web browsers individually.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Search Anonymo and related programs
Here, look for Search Anonymo or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Search Anonymo from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Delete Search Anonymo from Mac OS X system
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Search Anonymo or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Eliminate Search Anonymo from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Firefox browser appears to be vulnerable to the hijack. If Firefox browser already started pushing searchanonymo.com search results to you, follow these instructions and delete the unwanted extension for good.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Search Anonymo and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Search Anonymo removal.
Get rid of Search Anonymo from Google Chrome
In Chrome, you will need to find and delete an extension called Search Anonymo. Below, you can see a tutorial that explains how to find and delete the extension from Chrome.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Search Anonymo and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Search Anonymo removal.