AssistEngine – adware that can display bogus deals, scams, and fake updates on Mac computers
AssistEngine is known to be an ad-supported program that can load bogus offers and scams on the affected Mac machine. Once installed, this particular adware can be found in the Applications section but it might also shatter suspicious products all other the system (entries, files). AssistEngine virus might provide any type of advertising or scamming content that can bring great income to the developers. Be aware of the adverts that come from this threat as they might also be used for redirecting to other promoted sources some of which can appear to be highly infected with malware.
|OS affected||Mac OS X|
|Aim||To collect income from ads provided|
|Activities||Advertising, redirecting, browser data tracking|
|Removal||Use Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego to lengthen the elimination process. Manual instructions can be found at the end of this article|
AssistEngine Mac is a suspicious application that resides on your computer system and web browsers until you uninstall it permanently. Keep in mind that the PUP might add changes to your browser apps (homepage, new tab zone) which are necessary for the program's proper operation.
Besides, AssistEngine supposedly places bogus extensions into the browser settings which are responsible for all the unwanted activities that you are going to face during the active period of this adware. Note that advertising is not the only problem that you are going to experience.
AssistEngine adware might also be responsible for carrying you to affiliate sources. If these places appear to be malware-laden, you might get your computer system highly infected and damaged. Additionally, the PUP might try to lure you into scams that aim to swindle money or personal information.
If you have been receiving pop-ups and pop-unders from AssistEngine domain only on rare occasions only, there might be a possibility that your computer is not infected after all. You can figure out that by preventing ad appearance with Adblock Plus or disabling incoming notifications on your browser manually:
- Launch your web browser and click on the three dots on your upper right.
- The menu will appear and continue with Settings.
- Go to the Advanced section and find Notifications.
- Locate AssistEngine and remove it from the list.
Tracking browsing history is another feature that is included in the AssistEngine operation process. The program might use browser cookies or beacons for spying on your Internet activity. Later on, such information is used for releasing targeted advertisements or sharing with third-parties for more income.
AssistEngine is an adware program that attacks Mac users and loads annoying adverts during browsing sessions
Remove AssistEngine from your Mac OS X and web browser applications. You can choose to scan the entire system with Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego or a similar program to locate all infection strings. However, if automatical computer software is not the thing you are likely to use in this situation, you can find some manual guidelines at the end of this page.
Our experts' team has provided detailed instructions for AssistEngine removal from the Mac operating system and web browser applications such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Now, continue with the following paragraph and learn about adware prevention measures.
Prevention tips for adware programs
Specialists from Virusai.lt urge all users to be aware of third-party downloading sources, peer-to-peer networks, and unsafe downloading/installing modes that might relate to secret adware and other PUP installations. For proper prevention, you should take these manual steps:
- Choose the Custom/Advanced downloading option. Make sure that when performing downloads and installations the correct mode is selected and avoid any settings such as Quick or Recommended.
- Download software only from reputable sources. Once you are searching for a product to install, e.g. antivirus software, always search for users' reviews on the program and make sure to download it only from the official web page.
- Avoid content with bogus content. Be careful while surfing in questionable networks and prevent yourself from accessing suspicious advertisements, hyperlinks, and similar components.
Last but not least, automatical computer protection is also a very important matter to think about. Download and install a reliable anti-malware program that will secure your browsing sessions and alert if something threatening is happening.
Elimination purposes for AssistEngine Mac
AssistEngine virus is an adware program that targets Mac operating systems. Regarding this fact, we have provided detailed guidelines on how to clean your Mac OS X computer. These manual instructions are placed at the very end of this article.
However, manual AssistEngine removal is suggested only for those users who have some skills in the virus removal field. If you feel that you lack experience, you should choose antivirus software for this process. Rely on these tools but make sure to select a trustworthy one.
If you still decide to remove AssistEngine by using your own skills, make sure to take a look at the guiding steps that we have provided you with. Here you will also be shown how to eliminate the adware from web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove AssistEngine, follow these steps:
Eliminate AssistEngine from Mac OS X system
Remove adware content from your Mac OS X computer system. You can eliminate all bogus products with the help of this instructing guide:
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for AssistEngine or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove AssistEngine from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for AssistEngine and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete AssistEngine removal.
Delete AssistEngine from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select AssistEngine and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete AssistEngine removal.
Erase AssistEngine from Google Chrome
Google Chrome can be cleaned from questionable extensions, plug-ins, and add-ons if you follow the below-provided guidelines:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select AssistEngine and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete AssistEngine removal.
Get rid of AssistEngine from Safari
You can eliminate all unwanted components and products from your Safari web browser by following these guiding steps carefully:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for AssistEngine or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete AssistEngine removal process.