Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware (Recovery Instructions Included) - Removal Guide
Barack Obama Blackmail virus Removal Guide
What is Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware?
Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware is a crypto-malware which targets to encrypt .exe files only
Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware is a dangerous cyber threat which claims that all .exe files are encrypted by the former president.
Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware is a new cyber threat which encrypts executable files on the targeted devices. Researchers note that this malware is also known as Barack Obama's Everlasting Blue Blackmail virus which opens a pop-up window as a ransom note once data encryption is finished. Victims are asked to pay the ransom and contact the attacker via firstname.lastname@example.org email address for more information.
|Name||Barack Obama Blackmail|
|Also known as||Barack Obama's Everlasting Blue Blackmail virus|
|Symptoms||After the encryption, all .exe files become unusable|
|Distribution||It might reach the system inside malicious spam email attachments|
|Elimination||You should use RestoroIntego or similar security tool to uninstall Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware safely|
If the computer is infected with Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware, users can no longer open executable files. Alongside the encryption process, this virus modifies registry keys to change the icons of .exe files and run the ransomware once the user tries to launch the executable file on the computer. Here is the list of altered registry keys:
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\exe\Shell\Open\Command\ “C:\Users\User\codexgigas.exe” “%1”
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\exe\EditFlags 2
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\exe\DefaultIcon\ C:\Users\User\codexgigas.exe,0
The ransom-demanding message is displayed as a pop-up window which includes the following information:
Hello. your computer is
encrypted by me! Yeah, that
means your EXE file isn’t open!
Because I encrypted it.
So you can decrypt it, but you
have to tip it. This is a big thing.
You can email this email:
Further analysis revealed that Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware is highly sophisticated as it is programmed to stop numerous processes which are related to antivirus tools. This file-encrypting virus executes the following commands to kill Kaspersky, McAfee, and Rising Antivirus tools:
- taskkill /f /im KVXP.kxp
- taskkill /f /im Ravmon.exe
- taskkill /f /im VsTskMgr.exe
- taskkill /f /im kavsvc.exe
- taskkill /f /im Rav.exe
- taskkill /f /im Mcshield.exe
However, you can use other security tools, like RestoroIntego, to remove Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware and protect your computer. Note that you might need to boot your system into Safe Mode first. The instructions showing how to do so are appended at the end of this article.
Barack Obama Blackmail is a ransomware which opens a pop-up ransom-demanding window and asks to contact the criminals via email@example.com email address for more information.
After Barack Obama Blackmail removal you have several options to recover encrypted .exe files. There are effective tools along with the guidelines showing how to decrypt information. Find them below this report. Otherwise, you can use backups to retrieve your data.
Ways to protect your computer against ransomware
Ransomware-type cyber threats travel inside malicious spam emails. The electronic letters might impersonate notifications from legitimate companies to trick people into installing file-encrypting viruses. Note that the malware can disguise as .pdf or .jpg attachment.
Once the malicious attachment is opened, the computer is infected with ransomware. Therefore, you should stay vigilant and carefully monitor your inbox for spam emails. You can search for any grammar mistakes or misspellings along with urges to click on suspicious links or attachments. These are one of the best indicators that you might be a target of ransomware.
Researchers also encourage users to stay away from ads and peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing sites. Some ads might be programmed to execute malicious scripts and automatically install malware as well. Therefore, you should use only safe websites and download programs from authorized developers.
Security tools can help you uninstall Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware virus
Researchers warn that regular computer users should never try to remove Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware on their own. There is a substantial risk that people might delete essential system files or kill fundamental processes and damage their computers permanently.
You should get a professional antivirus software to complete Barack Obama Blackmail removal properly. Our IT experts suggest using one of the following security tools and read the instructions below:
Getting rid of Barack Obama Blackmail virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
If you are unable to install an antivirus, reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Barack Obama Blackmail using System Restore
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Barack Obama Blackmail. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Barack Obama Blackmail from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Barack Obama Blackmail, you can use several methods to restore them:
Install Data Recovery Pro to recover encrypted .exe files
According to the experts, it is possible to use this software to get back encrypted .exe files by Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware. Follow the steps below:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Barack Obama Blackmail ransomware;
- Restore them.
Get help from ShadowExplorer tool
This software requires Shadow Volume Copies of the encoded files. If they are still in place, follow the instructions below:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Currently, Barack Obama Blackmail decryptor is unavailable.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Barack Obama Blackmail and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.
- ^ Tim Fisher. What Is a Registry Key?. Lifewire. Tech How-To Guides & Tutorials.
- ^ Executable file. Computer Hope. Free Computer Help.
- ^ NoVirus. NoVirus. Security and Spyware News.