Birbware virus Removal Guide
What is Birbware ransomware?
Birbware ransomware – a file locking virus which looks like a joke application
Birbware ransomware is a file locking cyber threat which displays a ransom message after the data encryption.
Birbware ransomware is a file-encrypting cyber threat which was discovered on the 17th of October. This ransomware adds the .birbb appendix to each locked document after using the AES-256 cryptography to encrypt all data. After that, a ransom message is displayed on the computer screen which appears to be written in a joke form. However, it still urges the victims to contact the crooks via Discord and discuss the details about the ransom type and price. Once encrypted, files turn to be unusable and some people decide to contact the criminals and agree with all of their offered terms, however, you need to be careful and note that contacting hackers is definitely not a good option as there is a big chance that they will try to scam you.
|Dangers||Encrypts files and turns them unusable|
|Cipher used||AES-256 cryptography|
|Distribution||Spam email messages|
|Fix||Install FortectIntego to fix all damaged objects|
Here you can see the Birbware virus ransom message that is being displayed after the data encryption process:
uh-oh you just got urself some birdware
if u wanna get rid f this birdware you can send nxf#3688
some spicy mems on discord and may be he will
give you the encryption key
Furthermore, you can recognize virus-related content by these names:
- Trojan ( 0053ee401 );
- malicious_confidence_60% (D);
- PE.Malware.General (score:9);
Birbware ransomware uses secret and unique encryption algorithms that are related to AES-256 (advanced encryption standard) and suited for data encryption. Both encryption and decryption codes are stored on remote servers and kept out of reach for anyone except just the cybercriminals themselves.
Birbware ransomware virus demands ransom for data restoring and urges victims to contact the crooks by Discord. However, we can just guess, how the price looks like. According to researchers, ransomware crooks are likely to demand cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Monero, or Ethereum. Such transfers always remain safe and untrackable.
Taking about .birbb file decryption, we DO NOT recommend paying any demanded ransom or contacting the cyber crooks at all. No matter what their promises are, criminals very often leave users scammed and do not fulfill their words. What you should do is remove Birbware virus from your computer system.
After you perform the Birbware ransomware removal, you can start thinking about file recovery techniques. You can look through our offered decryption tools which you will find below the text. Note that you should keep all important documents in a safe place to avoid unpleasant corruption. Do not hesitate to purchase a USB flash drive and keep copies of valuable data in that external device.
Birbware ransomware is a file encrypting cyber threat which looks like a joke application.
Ransomware distributes via spam emails
According to cybersecurity researchers from Virusai.lt, ransomware-type viruses distribute via phishing email messages and their attachments. Mostly, the hazardous payload comes in a form of an attachment that is clipped to the phishing email, or sometimes it can be found as a link in the letter itself. If you receive a suspicious-looking email and are not expecting any important letter at the moment, make sure you eliminate it that same minute and do not open any clipped attachments.
Furthermore, ransomware can be spread via third-party promoted websites such as peer-to-peer networks. These pages include Torrents, eMule, etc. Content that is located there comes improperly disclosed and often lacks required protection, so, it is not even strange that such web pages are illegal. You might find virus-related content injected in a hyperlink in such website and accidentally launch a ransomware virus by stepping on it.
Terminate Birbware ransomware virus
If you have found the ransomware infection in your computer system or files that are related to it, you should think about the Birbware ransomware removal. We advise getting rid of the dangerous cyber threat as soon as possible to avoid possible damaging consequences. Moreover, you can use FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, or Malwarebytes to fix the damage that might have been done by the ransomware.
Note that, you can remove Birbware virus only in an automatical way as the manual technique might be too difficult for inexperienced users. After you complete the process by using reliable anti-malware tools, you should perform some system backups to make sure that no virus-related components are still active in the system and waiting for their turn to launch the ransomware with the next computer reboot.
Getting rid of Birbware virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Activate the Safe Mode with Networking function to deactivate the ransomware virus on your computer system. Follow these steps:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Birbware using System Restore
Enable the System Restore feature by following these guiding steps:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Birbware. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Birbware from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If you have found ransomware-encrypted files on your computer, and you are thinking about restoring them, you have come to the right place! Read the below-given data recovery methods and choose the most suitable one for you!
If your files are encrypted by Birbware, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro might help you with the file restoring process:
Use this method if wanting to get important data back. Follow each step as required to achieve the best results.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Birbware ransomware;
- Restore them.
Maybe Windows Previous Versions feature will help you with data recovery:
Try this method if you have activated the System Restore feature before the ransomware infected your computer and its components.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Shadow Explorer might be useful in file restoring:
Try this tool and recover some files. However, note that this method might not work if the ransomware virus has erased Shadow Volume Copies of encrypted documents.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
No official Birbware ransomware decryptor has been discovered.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Birbware and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.