Dragnea ransomware is a virus that uses the GUI of previously known Jigsaw ransomware
Dragnea ransomware is a virus that can lock files on your computer.
Dragnea ransomware is a file-encrypting cyber threat which belongs to Stupid ransomware family. This virus claims to be Jigsaw ransomware. Although, researchers note that it merely uses the similar style of GUI as the latter malware. Liviu Dragnea ransomware is still under-development and does not encrypt data. However, in case it would, the virus would append .dragnea extension. Currently, it simply locks the screen of the affected device and displays a ransom note. Additionally, experts believe that Dragnea virus developers are located in Romania as the ransom-demanding message contains contains a photo of Liviu Dragnea which is a member of the Social Democratic Party in Romania and is hated by the people.
|Also Known as||Liviu Dragnea ransomware|
|pRETENDS TO BE||JigSaw ransomware|
|Ransom note||Program window with a photo|
|Distribution||Spam email attachments|
|Elimination||Use ReimageIntego for Dragnea ransomware removal|
This malicious program has no known encryption algorithm since many analysts claim it is still in development. Although, if Dragnea ransomware virus would be updated it would add .dragnea file extension after encryption. This program could modify your photos, videos, and documents in various folders of the system. Keep in mind that the encryption can make your files useless.
If and when it is done you may see a program window appearing on your screen that displays a ransom message and a photo of Liviu Dragnea. This window may work as a decryption tool also since it shows how much time you have left.
This ransom message by Dragnea ransomware displays the following text that is translated from the Romanian language:
Allow me to explain to you what is happening:
Your personal files will be destroyed. Documents, pictures, videos, etc.
And you stay calm, you can not stop it.
Why? Because that's what my mustache wants. I do not have a BTC wallet, and I do not, I do not know how. So, rest in peace! Well, let's start together.
Send at least 1989 miners to the party address here:
Enter the description key here: [text box]
I paid, now give me the files.
As other ransomware, this virus demands to pay $100 as a ransom and gives victim less than 72 hours to pay up. This program also gives no contacts or email, so it appears unfinished. Despite that, you should remove Dragnea ransomware as soon as possible because it may be more difficult after some time.
Researchers often advise people to focus on this Dragnea ransomware removal and only when the system is clean worry about data recovery. The best way to remove this or other viruses is anti-malware tools like ReimageIntego.
Be aware that dangerous cyber threats like Liviu Dragnea ransomware might compromise data on external devices as well. Thus, do not plug any USB drives before you clean your computer. Make sure that the system is safe before starting Dragnea ransomware decryption.
Dragnea ransomware is a virus from Stupid ransomware family.
Malicious script can spread via various spam email attachments
Virus developers can infect specific files, and this way spread their malicious programs on users' computers. It is done by using spam email attachments with insecure data or direct link in the email itself. Spam emails may look safe if virus developer uses legitimate services and company names as their disguise. But do not trust any PDF or Word document with the receipt or invoice from a company you have never heard of.
Look for typos or other grammar mistakes and sentences that make no sense with the context. This can be a good reason to delete the email if you find the content full of mistakes and nonsense. You can easily infect your system with malware programs if you download and open those attachments. Delete spam emails from your box more often and without reading. Also, there is a possibility to scan files or even links before you open them.
Dragnea ransomware elimination requires professional help
To remove Dragnea ransomware safely, you should use anti-malware tools like ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. These programs can detect malicious files, programs, and viruses. After this, the program suggests you remove it and fix errors on your system. You can choose which programs to delete. This program can also block malicious programs later on.
If you think that Dragnea ransomware removal is difficult, you should trust these programs and be sure that every little additional piece is deleted from your PC. You need to scan your system again to double-check that everything is clean if you want to recover your files from the cloud or external drive. Ransomware can encrypt data on plugged in devices too. Clean your system more occasionally, build file backing routine and avoid infection repetition this way.
To remove Dragnea virus, follow these steps:
Manual Dragnea removal using Safe Mode
You can try to reboot your PC in Safe Mode with Networking:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Dragnea using System Restore
System Restore feature can also be helpful when dealing with Dragnea ransomware:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Dragnea. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Dragnea from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Dragnea, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro is a tool specifically designed for restoring your files
Whether it is encrypted files or accidentally deleted, Data Recovery Pro can restore them:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Dragnea ransomware;
- Restore them.
Try Windows Previous Versions feature to recover individual files
This feature can restore chosen data, but only if System Restore was enabled before:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Try ShadowExplorer to recover Liviu Dragnea ransomware locked files
If this ransomware left Shadow Volume Copies untouched you can use ShadowExplorer and restore them:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Dragnea decryption tool is not available yet
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Dragnea and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.