Description of Gaming Assassin Toolbar
Gaming Assassin Toolbar virus – that is how some computer users call this application. However, we can assure you that it is not a virus, but a legitimate and virus-free program. There are some reasons why computer users leave negative comments about it online, but we have noticed that users typically claim that this program has hijacked their computers, that they cannot remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar and so on. Below we provide a comprehensive explanation of how this program works and why computer security experts have decided to add it to potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) list.
Questions about Gaming Assassin Toolbar
As we have stated before, word “malicious” should not be mentioned when speaking about this program. It is a system tool that can be added to your browser, and it can be easily removed as well. It is also worth to mention that it cannot get inside computer’s system without permission of the owner of it; therefore, it would be wrong to claim that it hijacks the computer system. This program suggests using MyWay search engine, so it sets it on the homepage, new tab page and of course, makes it a default search engine as well. We have tested this search engine to see what kind of results it delivers, and we have noticed that it serves a lot of sponsored results. It injects ads at the beginning of the result page and shows “related links” on the side. Such amount of ads might not be acceptable to every computer user because it seems that regular and most likely relevant search results are stived off and pushed to the bottom of the results page.
Another suspicious detail that dragged our attention is that this application inserts tracking cookies and uses similar data tracking technologies to collect and store information whenever you use the extension and browse the Internet. The developer claims that it stores certain information to provide targeted advertisements to the user, and might share the collected information with “businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests and/or sweepstakes.” However, you should remember that all these sites have their own policies and that the developer of Gaming Assassin Toolbar is not responsible for anything that can happen on these sites. In other words, you can browse sites accessible via sponsored links at your own risk. The developer of this toolbar “does not endorse advertising, product, or other materials on or available on such sites and resources,” so browse carefully. We advise you to stay away from offers to install unknown software products, updates, and other files from sites that do not look trustworthy. Remember that you can also go for Gaming Assassin Toolbar removal option and stop this application from tracking you, and replace the discussed search engine with another one.
How did this program get on your computer?
Some computer users get surprised when they discover PUPs on their computers and claim that they cannot remember installing them. They should know that today users do not need to go to certain websites to install unknown third-party programs; it is enough just to be a little careless during the installation of other free applications because they often distribute PUPs like Gaming Assassin Toolbar. To refuse to install optional applications with your preferred software, it is a must to switch the installation mode from Default/Standard to Custom or Advanced one and deselect all checkboxes next to agreements to add browser extensions, apps, and other suspicious files to the computer system.
Recently, the developer of this program contacted us asking us to remove this post from 2-spyware.com website. We believe that we shouldn’t do that as long as programs that we offer for the removal of Gaming Assassin Toolbar can detect it and help users to remove it from the system. As it is mentioned under each of download buttons, we ARE affiliated with these anti-malware programs, and while some of them are free, others can remove a virus only after purchasing them. These mentions fully fulfill each of the requirements of FTC.
Nevertheless, we have recently decided to make a revision of this and other posts that are related to this developer. We claim that all of them are described properly.
How to remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar?
To remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar, you can use these easy instructions provided below.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar, follow these steps:
Delete Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Windows systems
You have to check your computer and locate applications like Gaming Assassin Toolbar, MyWay, or MyWebSearch and then delete them.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Gaming Assassin Toolbar and related programs
Here, look for Gaming Assassin Toolbar or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Uninstall Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Mac OS X system
Look for programs named as Gaming Assassin Toolbar, MyWay, MyWebSearch and similarly and move them to Trash.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Gaming Assassin Toolbar or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Erase Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Internet Explorer (IE)
Find Gaming Assassin Toolbar or MyWay browser extension and remove it.
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Gaming Assassin Toolbar and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Gaming Assassin Toolbar removal.
Remove Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Delete Gaming Assassin Toolbar, MyWay or similar suspicious-looking browser add-ons.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Gaming Assassin Toolbar and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Gaming Assassin Toolbar removal.
Get rid of Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Google Chrome
You should look for Gaming Assassin Toolbar, MyWay or similar unknown extensions in the extensions list and delete them.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Gaming Assassin Toolbar and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Gaming Assassin Toolbar removal.
Delete Gaming Assassin Toolbar from Safari
Eliminate Gaming Assassin Toolbar, MyWay or similar extensions that you cannot remember installing.
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Gaming Assassin Toolbar or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Gaming Assassin Toolbar, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Gaming Assassin Toolbar removal process.