From Doc to PDF – a browser hijacker which has been affecting Google Chrome browsers via bundling
Questions about From Doc to PDF Toolbar
From Doc to PDF is a potentially unwanted program created by Mindspark Interactive Network Inc. Its main purpose is to redirect users to the required pages and increase their visitor rate. Hundreds of computer users have reported about detecting From Doc to PDF virus and the associated file doctopdf.dmg on their computers out of nowhere. The infiltration is performed with the help of bundling. At the moment, the biggest number of detections is reported in the United States, Germany, and India.
|Name||From Doc to PDF|
|Type||Browser hijacker/Potentially unwanted program/Redirect virus|
|Redirects to||Myway.com and other potentially unwanted pages|
|Other unwanted activities||Changes in system settings, slowdowns, annoying pop-up ads|
|Main dangers||Redirects to potentially malicious websites|
|Elimination||Uninstall the virus with the help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego|
Although some people tend to call this program DoctoPDF virus, we want you to inform you that it is rather a potentially unwanted program than a virus. However, after being added to each of web browsers, From Doc to PDF drops its own homepage, the start page, and a new tab page. As a result, the user can't reach his/her favorite website and revert these changes to the previous state without resetting the affected web browser.
The main problem related to the name of this browser hijacking program is that it spreads using bundling and users install this browser add-on unintentionally. Later on, they start thinking that somebody hacked or infected their computer behind their back. While FromDoctoPDF Toolbar is not a serious virus, it seems that users do not enjoy using it.
In the Google Chrome store, the add-on has 2,5 stars out of 5, and that definitely says something. We have also noticed that some users complain that “it will not let” them to uninstall it, and that it has been installed without their knowledge. The majority of reviewers seek to find a way to get rid of FromDoctoPDF. If you are one of them, scroll down the page, and you will see the step-by-step guide presented to you by our experts.
To speed up the whole procedure, you can use the automatic From Doc to PDF removal option. In this case, we recommend you to perform this task with the help of security software, for instance Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. Make sure you update it before a scan and wait until it finishes its job for you.
From Doc to PDF - a PUP reported being hard to remove software that might arrive on the PC in a software bundle.
FromDoctoPDF is promoted as an easy way to convert various files. Thus, users who need to convert documents quickly might find this toolbar useful. The program is compatible with Windows 10, as well as older OS versions, such as Windows 7, 8, Vista and XP. However, we have received reports that Mac OS X users encountered this program too.
The description of this program claims that it can convert these files to .doc format:
However, after installing this app on the system, it seems that users noticed that this toolbar was used to initiate various changes on their devices without their approval. Indeed, it might set myway instead of your start page and the default search provider without your approval. In this case, you should know that using this search engine can be quite dangerous as it fills its search results with sponsored ads.
To return to your previously-used browsing routine, you must remove From Doc to PDF browser hijacker. We want to remind that this program is not a virus, but, undoubtedly, this add-on is one of those that have to be treated with carefulness. It might be tricky if you have unintentionally installed with a software bundle. In this case, use a guide provided at the end of this post to delete this toolbar together with its additional components.
“by using the product you may be exposed to Content that may be offensive, indecent or objectionable in your community.”
Now let us explain where you might encounter such content. As we have mentioned before, From Doc to PDF add-on changes browser settings and sets a different site as the homepage. On this website, you can find a web search engine. By settings, this page as a default one, the developer probably expected to convince the user to use the indicated search engine.
However, it does not surprise us why so many computer users refuse to do it and want to uninstall FromDoctoPDF Toolbar as soon as possible. It seems that this search engine just produces way too many sponsored search results, and for users who wish to access required information quickly, such paid results can be exasperating.
Clicking on these sponsored results can make you experience FromDoctoPDF Toolbar redirect issue, so we highly recommend you not to ignore them and, if you wish, remove the aforementioned toolbar.
Distribution strategies of the addon
You can download this application from the Google Chrome store, but in some cases, other free programs might offer it for you. That is why we always remind our readers that it is essential to adjust installation settings before installing a new program on the system. Otherwise, other applications might be installed as well.
This software distribution method is called bundling; as you have already guessed, it helps to distribute several programs in one software pack. To decompose such pack, the user needs to select Advanced or Custom settings for the setup and then deselect checkboxes next to statements that claim the user agrees to install optional programs.
Do not choose Default or Standard installation options, because in such way optional programs will be installed without even asking for your permission.
Uninstall From Doc to PDF without wasting your time
Windows OS users are not the only ones that can encounter this annoying application. If the PUP has already shown up on your Google Chrome, Safari, and another web browser, you need to start thinking about its removal.
For that, we recommend using a specific From Doc to PDF removal program, Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego, that will scan your PC for free and will find all suspicious components on your PC system. If you are not willing to use security software, you can uninstall this program from the Control Panel and reset your web browsers.
Tips on how to remove From Doc to PDF from Safari
Safari is an inbuilt browser in Mac OS X. However, you should not believe in the myth that Apple products are immune to potentially unwanted programs or viruses. Therefore if your Safari browser has been hijacked by From Doc to PDF, you should take care of it as well.
If you have to remove FromDoctoPdf mac version, you also have two choices. The first one suggests scanning the system with updated security software and letting it complete this task for you. The second method offers to uninstall this browser extension yourself.
Below you can find instructions on how to make sure that undesired apps are wiped out entirely from Mac. Additionally, we have provided guidelines on how to uninstall browser extensions from Safari. Keep in mind that if you do not remember installing them, they should not be kept. Remove all suspicious entries and do not forget to reset the browser.
Safari reset is necessary in order to get rid of publisher’s or third-party cookies or other tracking technologies. This task is necessary to stop unknown businesses from spying on you.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove From Doc to PDF Toolbar, follow these steps:
Remove From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Windows systems
To uninstall the PUP from Windows, go thru your recently-installed programs and get rid of each of those that are related to Myway. For that, use this guide:
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall From Doc to PDF Toolbar and related programs
Here, look for From Doc to PDF Toolbar or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Uninstall From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Mac OS X system
To get rid of the virus from Mac OS X, we highly recommend using this guide:
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for From Doc to PDF Toolbar or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Get rid of From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Internet Explorer (IE)
To eliminate this toolbar from IE, go to extensions' list and eliminate all related entries.
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for From Doc to PDF Toolbar and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete From Doc to PDF Toolbar removal.
Delete From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Find and exclude From Doc to PDF Toolbar add-on from Firefox. After that, try to search for other programs related to this one, for example, MyWay, and eliminate them as well.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select From Doc to PDF Toolbar and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete From Doc to PDF Toolbar removal.
Erase From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Google Chrome
Open Chrome's settings and go to Extensions tab. Then find From Doc to PDF Toolbar and delete it!
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select From Doc to PDF Toolbar and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete From Doc to PDF Toolbar removal.
Remove From Doc to PDF Toolbar from Safari
Identify and remove From Doc to PDF Toolbar browser extension from your browser.
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for From Doc to PDF Toolbar or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by From Doc to PDF Toolbar, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete From Doc to PDF Toolbar removal process.