Kerkoporta virus Removal Guide
What is Kerkoporta ransomware virus?
Kerkoporta — Greek ransomware used to encrypt victims' data
Kerkoporta virus is a dangerous ransomware designed to encrypt valuable data on the infected computer. Later on, it demands a specific amount of ransom for a decryption key needed to retrieve the files. To block the access to the data and encode the information, this ransomware drops a WindowsUpdates.exe file and appends an .encryptedsadly extension to the damaged files. The ransom note insists on purchasing a $100 worth of Amazon gift card and submitting the code to the criminals.
Recent reports from LosVirus.es experts state that the latest version of Kerkoporta ransomware (also known as EncryptedSadly) is still not capable of proper encryption. However, its screen lock function operates flawlessly, and victims are still not able to use their computers. The malware is programmed to modify Windows Registry settings and lock the screen even if you restart your computer. Besides, Kerkoporta removal might require specific IT knowledge. Thus, you should check the elimination guide provided at the end of this article.
Moreover, do not panic or try to purchase various decryption tools on the web. They are useless and developed to swindle money from naive computer users. Nor you should trust the cybercriminals. Typically, they manipulate their power and demand to pay more after receiving a transaction authorization.
We suggest you to check whether your system automatically stores backup copies in the cloud. There is no information that the malware can remotely encrypt files. If this function is enabled, you can remove Kerkoporta ransomware immediately using ReimageIntego and try to recover your data from backups.
In order to receive a decryption key, victims are insisted on purchasing a $100 worth Amazon gift card and submitting the code to the attackers.
You can protect your PC by carefully monitoring your activity on the internet
As the major of other ransomware, Kerkoporta is not an exception — criminals distribute it via fake Windows update on suspicious websites. Usually, people encounter such false offers to update their systems on vague sites as a pop-up or a malicious ad. You should never download offered upgrades from unauthorized distributors. Always use an official Windows page with a direct link.
Moreover, attackers might employ other distribution methods such as spreading it via attachments in spam e-mails. Since they try to increase the rate of infections, e-mail messages are created to look legitimate.
For example, the subject line claims that it is a document from well-known companies or even governmental institutions. Thus, many people do not hesitate and open the attachment immediately. As soon as it happens, the corrupted e-mail drops an executable file of the virus and starts data encryption.
To avoid that, you should carefully check the e-mail letters before opening them. Also, have in mind that attackers tend to hack into social networking accounts and spread infected links to everyone on the friend list. If you have encountered a suspicious message sent by your friend, do not doubt and contact him or her in person. This way you will decrease the risk of manually infiltrating a ransomware on your computer.
Quickly kill EncryptedSadly ransomware
If your system has been infected, remove Kerkoporta by employing a professional anti-malware program. You can directly download it from official distributors or verified developers. It will quickly get rid of the corrupted files and keep your computer protected in the future.
However, uninstallation of the virus doesn’t work as a decryption tool, and you won’t get back the access to your data. But as mentioned above, you can partially retrieve your files from backup copies or try alternative recovery methods.
Besides, if you opt to eliminate the malware manually, IT security experts have prepared a Kerkoporta removal guide below. We strongly recommend carefully following the steps since even one skipped action can lead to severe computer damage.
Getting rid of Kerkoporta virus. Follow these steps
Manual Kerkoporta removal using Safe Mode
You can remove Kerkoporta by rebooting your computer to Safe Mode with Networking. Follow the detailed steps below:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Kerkoporta using System Restore
In some cases the first removal method might not help; Thus you can try to reboot your system to Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Kerkoporta. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Kerkoporta from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Kerkoporta, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro might be the one, which helps you to recover your files after the ransomware attack
Originally, it is developed to recover corrupted data or accidentally deleted files. However, you should give it a try if you have lost your files after ransomware data encryption as well.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Kerkoporta ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature can help to retrieve data after Kerkoporta infection
Be aware that this feature only works if the System Restore function has been enabled. Thus, check and follow the steps below:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer is another great tool to recover data
First of all, you have to make sure that the malware hasn't deleted Shadow Volume Copies from the system. If you still have them, take advantage of them and try ShadowExplorer:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Kerkoporta and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting Kerkoporta ransomware virus
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.