KillBot virus (Free Instructions) - Virus Removal Guide
KillBot virus Removal Guide
What is KillBot virus?
KillBot virus threatens to encrypt files and asks to reinstall Windows
KillBot (also know as KillBot_Virus or KillBot.Prime ransomware) is a ransomware-type cyber infection that threatens to encrypt files using AES cryptography. However, the recent research data claims that malware is unable to do that. Though, it doesn’t mean that developers won’t add this feature in the future.
Malware is executed from KILLBOT.PRIME.exe which can be dropped on the system when a user opens a malicious email attachment. Ransomware might make several changes to the system in order to boot with Windows and launch data encryption.
However, KillBot virus does not seem to perform the primary task of ransomware properly. As we have already mentioned, malware does not encrypt files yet. However, it can deliver a lock screen message where it is stated differently.
The strange thing about KillBot_Virus is that it does not ask to pay the ransom in Bitcoins, and tells that there’s no way to restore corrupted files. However, authors of malware give virus removal instructions:
Your files cannot be restored, however there are
some steps to follow if you don’t want it on your
Step 1: Please get a windows reinstallation CD and reinstall windows on your computer.
Step 2: Get a powerful antivirus software and update it to the last version..
Please do everything as it was written if you want to get your PC back
However, we can ensure that reinstalling Windows is not needed after KillBot ransomware attack. Though, scanning the system with reputable security software is definitely required. We recommend terminating the virus using RestoroIntego; however, feel free to use any other legitimate software.
The malware should not block installation or access to security software. However, if you find some difficulties with KillBot removal, you should follow the guide given at the end of the article. These instructions will help you to disable the virus and launch automatic elimination.
Please, do not try to remove KillBot manually. Nevertheless, it does not actually encrypt files; it’s still a complex cyber threat that may have injected malicious code into the legit system processes. Thus, detect and eliminate them correctly is very hard for regular home computer users. Hence, do not try to delete the virus yourself because it may lead to the irreparable damage to the system.
KillBot virus claims that there's no way to recover files and Windows reinstallation is needed for ransomware elimination; however, none of that is true.
Spam emails might delivers ransomware straight to your inbox
Currently, security experts cannot establish the prime distribution method for this virus. However, the probability of it spreading just like all the other ransomware is quite high. In most cases, dangerous ransomware spreads via malicious spam emails.
The attachment is usually in the form of .doc, .txt, .xml, .html and similar file format which does not seem harmful. Thus, users do not suspect anything bad and open it.
Security specialists from uirusu.jp remind other methods used for crypto-malware distribution:
- malware-laden ads that might be placed on legit or high-risk websites;
- bogus software updates or downloads;
- cracked programs;
- exploit kits.
Thus, users should be aware of these methods because numerous ransomware viruses are lurking on the web and looking for inattentive user’s clicks. However, it’s also important to install reputable antivirus and create important data backups that are crucial in case ransomware hits your device.
KillBot virus removal guide
Immediate Killbot removal is required because ransomware can be updated soon and actually encrypt your files. Additionally, installation of malware might lead to various privacy-related issues because the system becomes vulnerable.
In order to remove Killbot ransomware, you may need to reboot the system to Safe Mode with Networking as shown below. Then you will be able to install and run malware removal tool and clean your PC. For the elimination, we recommend using one of these professional programs: RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
Getting rid of KillBot virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
These instructions will help you to disable the virus and run automatic elimination:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove KillBot using System Restore
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of KillBot. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove KillBot from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If KillBot virus managed to encrypt your files, you can recover them using backups as soon as the malware is eliminated from the system. However, if you haven't created backups of your files, please try our suggested alternative recovery methods.
If your files are encrypted by KillBot, you can use several methods to restore them:
Method 1. Data Recovery Pro
This software helps to restore corrupted or accidentally deleted files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by KillBot ransomware;
- Restore them.
Method 2. Windows Previous Versions feature
If System Restore was enabled before KillBot_Virus attack, you can follow these steps and copy previously saved versions of needed files.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Method 3. Use ShadowExplorer
KillBot.Prime ransomware does not seem to delete Shadow Volume Copies, so you can use ShadowExplorer for data recovery.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
KillBot decryptor is not available.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from KillBot and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.
- ^ Deb Shinder. 10 dumb things users do that can mess up their computers. TechRepublic. The insight on the latest and most important issues in information technology.
- ^ Uirusu. Uirusu. Cyber security news.
- ^ Threat Actors Send Massive Spam Emails Distributing Locky Ransomware. Trend Micro. Enterprise cyber security solutions.