MyCouponsmart Removal Guide
What is MyCouponsmart?
MyCouponsmart is the Mac virus that makes your device slower by delivering unwanted pop-ups and redirects to shady sites
MyCouponsmart is a program that is considered to be undesired because it can access the information about your browsing habits.
MyCouponsmart is an ad-supported software that Mac users can download from the official website. However, in most cases, users will find the app on their devices after the installation of freeware programs because the provider uses a deceptive software bundling technique to distribute this application. For that reason, MyCouponsmart redirect is considered to be a potentially unwanted program and a cyber threat. Additionally, it can also be categorized as adware, as, upon infiltration, it spams users' Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox or other browsers with pop-ups, deals, offers and coupons that are not relevant. In theory, MyCouponsmart is an app which should help users to find the best deals online. However, in practice, the app is nothing but junk that clutters the computer and persuades users to buy from sponsors' websites. Since the program tracks users browsing habits, the more time it runs on the machine the more commercial content you get delivered to your screen.
|Category||Potentially unwanted program|
|Claims to||Offer best special offers, coupons, and deals|
|Distribution||Software bundles, deceptive advertisements|
|Symptoms||Delivers intrusive commercial content, causes redirects to suspicious sites, exposes to possibly malicious material|
MyCouponsmart virus is, most likely, going to access your system via deceptive techniques, like software bundling, sponsored advertisements or questionable download sites. People are tricked into thinking that the app is worth being installed on the system as it claims to be the easiest way to save the money.
However, this online shopping assistant is hardly worthy of your attention as it displays deals that will bring you to MyCouponsmart sponsored websites, increasing the traffic to less known websites.
Often when the user visits similar websites the pop-up message appears, stating that your device needs updates or particular software like Adobe Flash Player is outdated. This is how fake installers get initiated and other programs got on the system.
MyCouponsmart, just as MyShopcoupon, is an adware application, so it can negatively affect your macOS:
- Adds a browser extension;
- Run background processes;
- Create folders that are difficult to remove;
- Deliver unwanted pop-up ads and in-text links;
- Lead to deceptive, phishing or hacked websites;
- Cover up the background of legitimate sites, preventing from clearly viewing it.
MyCouponsmart is the program promoted as a useful service for online shoppers. This program causes intrusive commercial content and tons of redirects instead of giving value.
Initially, adware applications are not malicious. However, certain practices, like an intrusive advertisement or information gathering/sharing raises concerns among cybersecurity experts. Additionally, the redirects to insecure websites make MyCouponsmart unsafe to use.
Offers and coupons or special deals by MyCouponsmart look like a useful service at first glance, especially when Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals cause the careless time online.
MyCouponsmart is the unwanted application so users may call it malware because of the main facts that create negative associations, like stealth installation, data tracking issue and intrusive commercial content, other installed programs. However, as harmful as it sounds the program is not a virus but you need to uninstall this rogue Mac service as soon as possible.
We may collect some personal information that you explicitly provide (for example, in the process of registration to the Services or if you send us an email or message) and which identifies you personally, such as your name, email address, services purchased, etc. (“Personal Information”). We also collect some Personal Information that are collected in an anonymized way and do not identify you, in order to provide you with better advertisement and for tracking and anti-fraud needs, this information might include some search quires and IP address.
We also collect some non-identifying information regarding your use of our the Software, Services and Site, including but not limited to, type of device on which Software is used and installed, applications with which the Software has interacted, advertisements viewed, the type of browser you are using, the keyboard language, the URL you have come from and the time spent at that URL, and your domain type and server (“Non-Personal Information”).
The best results can be achieved by using automatic MyCouponsmart removal method since a full system scan helps you find all useless components. Besides, because adware programs tend to multiply fast, it is advisable to scan the machine thoroughly. As soon as elimination MyCouponsmart is complete, make sure to reset each of the affected browsers as explained below.
MyCouponsmart is a program that gives no value for your MAC or online shopping experience as it supposed to.
Deceptive marketing techniques help distribute PUPs
Questionable advertisements, promotional pop-ups, banners that suggest to update your software or install other apps are the most common when it comes to PUP distribution. These rogue apps enter systems without users noticing and performs changes that later affect the quality of web surfing.
If you get your software from a questionable website and skip through the installation process, you might easily install bloatware, scareware, adware, or other PUPs. Choosing Default or Quick installation is not recommended because during an insecure process you agree to install optional components.
Researchers note how important it is choosing reputable sources for your software and opting for Advanced or Custom installation options. These settings will allow you to eliminate marks on the pre-selected tick-boxes and avoid PUP infiltration.
Tips on how to get rid of MyCouponsmart adware
Since MyCouponsmart virus is a potentially unwanted program that installs without your knowledge, in most cases, you will not find it on the system quickly.
To remove MyCouponsmart, you can use anti-malware tools to scan the system thoroughly and find components that you don't need. There is plenty of security software available for Mac users, so make sure you pick a reputable one.
Also, after MyCouponsmart removal, check the settings of your web browser and make sure to block any suspicious websites and delete all unwanted extensions. You can find a few tips on that below.
You may remove virus damage with a help of FortectIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Getting rid of MyCouponsmart. Follow these steps
Delete from macOS
Clean your system and terminate MyCouponsmart by following this guide:
Remove items from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
Remove from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Don't forget to check for browser alterations. MyCouponsmart virus may install unwanted extensions to your Firefox
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not help, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox.
Remove from Google Chrome
Delete all MyCouponsmart related content and reset the Chrome to default:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the unwanted components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings.
Delete from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of MyCouponsmart registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting adware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.