Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best ads Removal Guide
What is Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best ads?
Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best tries to get users to install a bogus extension that could be a hijacker
Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best tries to trick people into installing a PUP
Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best is a deceptive page that tries to get users to install bogus browser extensions. The site could be promoting browser hijackers and other kinds of PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) that monetize user activity. Users report that the page shows up seemingly out of nowhere which could be a symptom of an adware infection.
The page may also trick users into clicking the “Allow” button with the message “Don't miss out on the best promos and deals!” In reality, the site could be using rogue advertising networks that display pop-up ads leading to dangerous pages. Users can get fooled into providing their personal information or installing other PUAs and malware.
If you encounter a random website that is trying to convince you to download a browser extension without disclosing the name, saying that the add-on is “Recommended by Chrome,” or that it was created in collaboration with a big tech company like Google, you should exit it immediately and not interact with it.
|TYPE||Push notification spam; Malicious commercial content; adware|
|SYMPTOMS||A page pops up seemingly out of nowhere suggesting users add a browser extension|
|DISTRIBUTION||Shady websites; deceptive ads, freeware installations|
|DANGERS||Users might get fooled into installing a malicious extension that could possibly be a browser hijacker|
|ELIMINATION||Check your system for adware with anti-malware tools|
|FURTHER STEPS||Use a maintenance tool like FortectIntego to fix any remaining damage and optimize the machine|
Check the extension list
Sometimes adware can come in the form of a browser extension. As a plugin, it can gain certain permissions to alter your browser settings which allow it to perform unwanted tasks. Browser hijackers can cause redirects that lead to sites like Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best. The creators earn money with pay-per-click advertising so they do not really care about user privacy or security. The more redirects and ad clicks – the more revenue they generate.
That is why it is very important to use only official web stores and developer websites for plugins. The Internet is infested with browser hijackers, especially shady pages that engage in illegal activities. Fraudsters can create one code, duplicate it as much as they want, just add different names and promote these extensions on the world wide web using social engineering techniques.
Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best can be found through shady sites
The only way you can avoid being infected with browser hijackers is by doing your own research. Read the reviews, look for ratings and the number of users. You will often find that there are almost no results after you type a hijacker's name in the search. It is not worth it to risk introducing unknown apps to your system. Choose the ones you can find plenty of information and feedback about.
If you have any extensions installed, we recommend going to your browser settings and removing them one by one, to determine if any of them are at fault for unwanted behavior. Keep in mind that sometimes malicious extensions are made to look like very popular ones to not cause any suspicion. We recommend removing plugins one by one to see if you notice any difference. You can follow our guide:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the window's top-right).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select the unwanted plugin and click Remove.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Delete unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
MS Edge (legacy)
- Select Menu (three horizontal dots at the top-right of the browser window) and pick Extensions.
- From the list, pick the extension and click on the Gear icon.
- Click on Uninstall at the bottom.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Block notifications in the settings
Because some users have reported that Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best was also causing annoying pop-up ads to appear in the corner of the screen, we recommend going to your browser settings again and seeing if the page permissions are turned on.
By this point, you should also clear cookies and cache to delete any information that suspicious pages and web-based applications could have collected about you. That includes your IP address, geolocation, links you click on, and things you purchase online.
This data can be sold to rogue advertising networks or other third parties and used to target you with malicious ads even more. Using a maintenance tool like FortectIntego makes this step really easy. It can automatically stop the tracking and get rid of the junk files that could be causing performance issues. This software can also fix various system errors, corrupted files, and registry issues which is especially helpful after a virus infection. Otherwise, proceed with the guide below:
Google Chrome (desktop):
- Open Google Chrome browser and go to Menu > Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Locate the Privacy and security section and pick Site Settings > Notifications.
- Look at the Allow section and look for a suspicious URL.
- Click the three vertical dots next to it and pick Block. This should remove unwanted notifications from Google Chrome.
Google Chrome (Android):
- Open Google Chrome and tap on Settings (three vertical dots).
- Select Notifications.
- Scroll down to Sites section.
- Locate the unwanted URL and toggle the button to the left (Off setting).
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to Menu > Options.
- Click on Privacy & Security section.
- Under Permissions, you should be able to see Notifications. Click Settings button next to it.
- In the Settings – Notification Permissions window, click on the drop-down menu by the URL in question.
- Select Block and then click on Save Changes. This should remove unwanted notifications from Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Websites tab and, under General, select Notifications.
- Select the web address in question, click the drop-down menu and select Deny.
- Open Microsoft Edge, and click the Settings and more button (three horizontal dots) at the top-right of the window.
- Select Settings and then go to Advanced.
- Under Website permissions, pick Manage permissions and select the URL in question.
- Toggle the switch to the left to turn notifications off on Microsoft Edge.
MS Edge (Chromium):
- Open Microsoft Edge, and go to Settings.
- Select Site permissions.
- Go to Notifications on the right.
- Under Allow, you will find the unwanted entry.
- Click on More actions and select Block.
Beware of freeware
If you have recently installed any programs from freeware distribution sites, peer-to-peer file-sharing platforms, torrent sites, there is a big possibility that you see the Playrecent-bestgreatlyinstallation.best because of that. Freeware distributors do not make any money from giving away software for free, so they include additional programs in the installers that monetize user activity (collect data about browsing activities, generate ads, etc.)
The best option is to get your software only from official sources because it is always the safest way. There is plenty of free and reputable software that you can choose from instead of using unsafe sources. We know it can get costly but it might save you money in the long run by having a healthy machine. The next time you want to install freeware or shareware, we suggest you follow some security measures to avoid the installation of PUPs:
- Always choose the “Custom” or “Advanced” installation methods
- Inspect the file list and untick the boxes next to any files that seem unrelated
If you have installed any programs recently, we suggest removing them to see if the unwanted symptoms disappear. If you do not know how you can follow instructions for Windows and Mac machines. The best way to make sure that your system is virus-free is by using professional security tools like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes.
Anti-malware tools can scan your system and detect suspicious processes running in the background. Besides that, you can avoid infections as security tools give warnings about unsafe files trying to enter your system. Manual removal can also result in the renewal of the infection as users sometimes fail to remove all the related files and entries.
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till the uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
How to prevent from getting adware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.