Should you remove Search.ourmediatabsearch.com?
If you are planning to try the search engine on Search.ourmediatabsearch.com website, which has appeared in your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser after launching it, we highly advise you not to do that. This web page can be set as your homepage in your browser due to Search.ourmediatabsearch.com virus existence, which can hijack your PC without your knowledge. Of course, you can install this potentially unwanted program (PUP) by your choice, but in the majority of cases, victims claim that they didn’t go and download this browser hijacker from its official website nor other places on the Internet. If you are looking for a quick removal solution, remove this hijacker using Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego software.
Questions about Search.ourmediatabsearch.com virus
In fact, this browser hijacker does not differ from any other PUPs developed by Imali Media. These PUPs are advertised as tools that can provide the user with free access to favorite shows and live sports and enhance the browsing experience by changing browser’s settings and adding new default search engine, homepage, plus new tab page. Its bogus search engines typically have “media” in their URL. Examples include Search.topmediatabsearch.com, Search.supermediatabsearch.com, and Search.bestmediatabsearch.com. Be aware that these search engines are untrustworthy and that their advertised “benefits” may not seem so beneficial to you. For example, Search.ourmediatabsearch.com site looks safe at the first sight; besides, it suggests ten shortcuts to various popular Internet sites including Facebook, Gmail, Instagram, YouTube, and so on. Although these sites are safe, the search box that is provided above these shortcuts is not.
If you entered a search term into it and hit enter, you would be rerouted through Search.SafeFinder.com site and then provided with safe-looking Yahoo search results. We highly recommend you not to rely on them as they can be slightly altered. Computer security experts say that the user can unexpectedly experience Search.ourmediatabsearch.com redirects after clicking on them, which can lead him/her to unpredictable Internet places. Beware, because these redirects might not necessarily point you to secure web pages. Try to avoid providing your personally identifiable information on such sites, do not sign up for suspicious memberships that request entering your credit card details, and bypass offers to update your programs or to download new ones. Only by following these tips you will increase protection of your personal data and computer.
How did it enter your computer without your permission?
In fact, this program did get your authorization to be installed. The fact is, this program spreads together with other applications, so you have to watch what you install on your computer. The majority of free applications suggest installing bonus apps alongside them, but unfortunately, not all computer users successfully notice these offers. They are typically hidden under trustworthy-looking Default or Standard installation settings. To avoid installing unknown additions unintentionally, follow these steps:
- Choose Custom or Advanced installation option.
- Look for such or similar lines and remove the ticks next to them:
- “Make [URL] my start page;”
- “Make [URL] my default search engine;”
How to remove Search.ourmediatabsearch.com browser hijacker?
If you wish to delete Search.ourmediatabsearch.com redirect virus from your browser and use your preferred search engine again, you shouldn’t go to browser’s settings to change homepage and default search engine settings. You have to initiate Search.ourmediatabsearch.com removal by finding this browser hijacker on your PC and deleting all of its components. Otherwise, it will keep changing your browser settings each time you close your browser and re-open it. To entirely get rid of this problem, follow instructions given below or just use an anti-spyware software for that.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Search.ourmediatabsearch.com virus, follow these steps:
Eliminate Search.ourmediatabsearch.com from Windows systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Search.ourmediatabsearch.com and related programs
Here, look for Search.ourmediatabsearch.com or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Search.ourmediatabsearch.com from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Erase Search.ourmediatabsearch.com from Mac OS X system
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Search.ourmediatabsearch.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Search.ourmediatabsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.ourmediatabsearch.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Search.ourmediatabsearch.com removal.
Get rid of Search.ourmediatabsearch.com from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.ourmediatabsearch.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Search.ourmediatabsearch.com removal.