Searchtown.net – a browser hijacker also recognized as Patriot PDF Converter for Macs
Searchtown.net, also known as Patriot PDF Converter, is a browser-hijacking application that attacks Mac computers and their browser apps. Mac users have already been complaining about this potentially unwanted program appearing on their Apple machines. Once Searchtown.net virus reaches browsers such as Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, it sets the homepage to Searchtown.net, the new tab search zone to Searchtown New Tab Search, and modifies the default search provided to https://searchtown.net. In addition, this browser hijacker is linked to the 18.104.22.168 IP address.
|Alternative name||Patriot PDF Converter|
|Type||Browser hijacker/potentially unwanted program|
|Search settings||This browser hijacker is capable of changing the default search engine to https://searchtown.net, the homepage to Searchtown.net, and the new tab search to Searchtown New Tab Search|
|Serving IP||22.214.171.124 IP address is where this domain comes from|
|OS-based||This potentially unwanted program has been created to target Mac OS X users and their machines/browser apps|
|Activities||The hijacker promotes the advertising of rogue products, redirecting the user to affiliate networks, collecting browsing-related data, etc.|
|Found in||You can find browser hijackers on your computer system after completing unsecured downloads, installing fake Flash Player updates, or visiting unsafe sources such as Torrent websites|
|Identification||Use software such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego to identify all suspicious strains on your Mac computer that might be related to the browser hijacker|
Searchtown.net should not be categorized as malware itself but it sometimes gets the name of “virus” due to unwanted performance of bogus activities and the stealth installation process that it promotes. Mostly, hijackers appear while performing free software downloads, through fake flash player updated, or torrent-based websites.
Once the infiltration happens, Searchtown.net will hijack one or multiple web browser applications and might even provide some beneficial-looking features which truly are just a trick to lure you into using the app more often. Usually, developers insert fast access to various communication platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, and some news/weather sources.
However, do not get too satisfied with these features as it is only a small glimpse throughout the entire unwanted activity flow that will definitely approach you later. Searchtown.net will supposedly start redirecting you to affiliate sources some of which might turn out to be potentially dangerous and seek to infect you with dangerous malware such as a Trojan virus, or similar.
In addition, you might start receiving intrusive advertising content from Searchtown.net domain while completing browsing sessions and online activities. The browser hijacker might support bogus products and services and try to convince you to spend your money on purchasing some questionable computer repair software.
Searchtown.net - a browser hijacker that modifies the search engine and might provide search results from Yahoo or Bing
By the way, browser hijackers such as Searchtown.net are known to fill settings with browser helper objects (BHO) such as extensions, plug-ins, and similar. In addition, the PUP might insert tracking cookies into your web browsers that allow the developers to spy on your online sessions and track what kind of deals are relevant to you at the moment.
All in all, as you can see Searchtown.net Mac promotes a big variety of activities that can be performed all at once. Due to the big intensity of these processes, you might start facing regular browser slowdowns, crash downs, and struggle to maintain full-quality browsing. Besides, search results that come from this domain might be provided by a legitimate search service such as Yahoo or Bing so there is no actual need for using the browser hijacker instead.
Finding yourself troubling to maintain browsing processes, annoyed by intrusive notifications and redirects, leads only to one option – Searchtown.net removal. This type of task can be carried out by using our step-by-step guidelines that can be found at the end of the article or by employing automatical software for full computer cleaning.
However, if you are a less-skilled computer user or just do not put your effort towards manual elimination, you should definitely choose to remove Searchtown.net with trustworthy antimalware. Before you begin, download and install Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego software and search for all browser-hijacker related objects that might be hidden on your Mac system.
Searchtown.net - a browser hijacker virus that might add browser helper objects such as extensions, cookies, and similar components
Browser hijackers can be found in mysterious places all over the web
Experts from NoVirus.uk website claim that potentially unwanted programs, including browser hijackers, are distributed by using more than one silent technique. However, most often, developers inject suspicious products into freeware/shareware packages, place infectious hyperlinks or ads on third-party websites such as torrents, fake flash player updates. If you want to keep your computer protected from such bogus components, you should:
- Opt for the safest installation option. Make sure to choose Custom/Advanced settings instead of Quick/Recommended configuration. The first variant allows tracking all incoming downloads and deselecting all unwanted objects.
- Prevent yourself from accessing unsafe pages. Avoid visiting third-party networks, especially, p2p networks such as The Pirate Bay and Torrents where downloading links might include infectious objects.
- Keep your programs always updated. Make sure to regularly update all of your software and do not get tricked by false app updates such as Flash Player.
- Install antimalware security. Always have an AV engine running on your computer system that will ensure safe browsing, protect you from potential malware, and allow you to perform regular system check-ups.
Virus removal instructions for Searchtown.net virus
Searchtown.net removal is a process that can be carried out by using anti-malware software or manual step-by-step guidelines. We have provided some instructions below for your Mac OS X system and web browser applications such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
However, if you find it to hard to remove Searchtown.net on your own, you should employ reliable antivirus programs to perform the process for you. These tools are capable of finding all infected locations on your computer system and cleaning them in a few minutes of time.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Searchtown.net, follow these steps:
Get rid of Searchtown.net from Mac OS X system
In order to make the browser hijacker removal complete, you need to eliminate all entries that it has added to your Mac OS X system. You can accomplish this task by performing the following:
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove Searchtown.net from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for Searchtown.net-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove Searchtown.net, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to Searchtown.net and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the Searchtown.net-related entries.
Erase Searchtown.net from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
If you have found some questionable extensions, plug-ins, or add-ons in Mozilla Firefox, you can remove this type of content with the help of these guidelines:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchtown.net and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Searchtown.net removal.
Remove Searchtown.net from Google Chrome
Our experts have also provided instructions on how to clean Google Chrome and reverse the web browser back to its previous position:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchtown.net and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Searchtown.net removal.
Delete Searchtown.net from Safari
Eliminate all bogus changes on your Safari web browser app that have been performed after the hijack. Use these steps if help is needed:
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Searchtown.net or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Searchtown.net, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Searchtown.net removal process.
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. It is a hassle when your website is protected from suspicious connections and unauthorized IP addresses.
The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address. If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for server or network manager that need to monitor connections and activities. This is how you bypass some of the authentications factors and can remotely use your banking accounts without triggering suspicious with each login.
VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world. It is better to clock the access to your website from different IP addresses. So you can keep the project safe and secure when you have the dedicated IP address VPN and protected access to the content management system.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.