Shiva virus Removal Guide
What is Shiva ransomware?
Shiva ransomware – a virus which ads the .id–[firstname.lastname@example.org].pip appendix to locked data
Shiva ransomware - a virus which modifies the Windows Registry to perform its own actions.
Shiva ransomware is a file encrypting virus which enters the system unnoticed and starts creating dubious registry entries in the Windows Registry section. After that, the ransomware-type virus starts locking files and adding the .id–[email@example.com].pip appendix to each corrupted document. Moreover, Shiva virus runs a ransom message which announces about the file encryption and urges a particular price that needs to be paid in order to get the decryption key for blocked documents.
|Files encrypted||Zip., jpg., docx., ppt., etc.|
|Danger level||High. Corrupts valuable documents on the infected PC|
|Distribution||Usually, spam emails|
|Prevention||Avoid opening phishing messages, install antivirus protection|
|Removal||Download and install ReimageIntego anti-malware|
Shiva ransomware can encrypt files such as:
However, there are no particular details, how the ransom note of Shiva virus truly looks like and what is the type of the demanded price. Despite this fact, we can come to a consensus that almost all ransomware-type viruses have a very similar operating principle and other typical features.
That means that Shiva ransomware supposedly urges for Bitcoin as the type of currency in which the ransom needs to be paid. Crooks often urge such cryptocurrency as these kinds of transfers are completely secret as they do not require any particular information which lets the criminals run away with the money.
Moreover, Shiva ransomware uses uniques encryption algorithms such as AES or RSA to lock up important files. Such codes are unique and different each time on various infected computers. This is the main reason why decryption is impossible even for high-experienced tech experts.
However, that does not mean that you have to pay the demanded ransom. We advise NOT paying or contacting the criminals. According to malware experts, users are often scammed by such crooks who do not truly fulfill their promises. What you need to do is to remove Shiva virus from your computer system permanently. You can fix the damage that was done by the cyber threat by downloading and installing ReimageIntego.
After you perform the Shiva ransomware removal, you can start thinking about data recovery. We have provided some file restoring methods which you can find below this article. However, you need to take some precautionary measures in the future to keep valuable information safe and out of reach of various cyber crooks. Get a USB drive and store all important data on that external device. It will let only you access the files that are stored on that USB.
Shiva ransomware - a file locking cyber threat which is very likely to distribute through spam messages.
Ransomware distribution and prevention methods
If you have got your computer system infected with ransomware, there is a big chance that you might have launched such virus-related content by opening a hazardous attachment that was clipped to a spam email message. Crooks are very likely to drop harmful content straight to victims email boxes by sending them phishing letters that include dubious attachments or hyperlinks that once clicked activate the virus. If you receive a dubious email and you are not expecting anything important at the moment, eliminate such messages in case of an accidental opening that might happen.
Additionally, it is strongly recommendable to install antivirus protection on your machine. Make sure you choose a reliable and expert-tested computer security program. Once you have the software on your PC, ensure that it is always regularly updated. This is necessary for the program to be able to function properly. Perform regular system scans with the security tool and it will detect almost all cyber threats possible that might have been trying to silently infiltrate your PC.
Shiva ransomware removal
If you want to remove Shiva virus, you should notice that manual elimination is not possible for this case. Such ransomware-type viruses are very complicated threats and might leave numerous questionable and damaging components behind, that might be too hard to detect for the user himself/herself.
We suggest performing the Shiva ransomware removal with the help of a reliable anti-malware software. You can use ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, or Malwarebytes. However, feel free to use your own wanted program. After the process is completed, carry out some system backups to ensure that the cyber threat was completely deactivated and no longer remains in your computer system.
Getting rid of Shiva virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Enable the Safe Mode function on your computer with the help of these instructions:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Shiva using System Restore
Activate the System Restore feature by following these guidelines:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Shiva. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Shiva from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Here are some data recovery methods which might be helpful. If you want to get corrupted information back, you can try using some of these third-party programs.
If your files are encrypted by Shiva, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try Data Recovery Pro for file restoring:
Use Data Recovery Pro if wanting to restore files that were corrupted by the ransomware-type virus.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Shiva ransomware;
- Restore them.
Use Windows Previous Versions feature to get important data back:
This method might be helpful if you have enabled the System Restore feature.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Shadow Explorer might help you recover your corrupted data:
Try this method but notice that it might not work if the virus destroyed Shadow Volume Copies of corrupted documents.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Experts are still working on the official Shiva ransomware decryptor.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Shiva and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.