Videomx.ru ads Removal Guide
What is Videomx.ru ads?
Videomx.ru makes users think they will be able to watch a video if they click “Allow”
Videomx.ru is trying to trick people into allowing push notifications
Videomx.ru is a push notification spam page. It tricks people into clicking the “Allow” button by displaying a deceptive message. When that happens, users start getting spammed with annoying pop-up ads that appear in the corner of the screen, sometimes even when the browser is closed.
Because the page's developers' main goal is to generate revenue from PPC advertising, they do not care about user privacy or security. As a result, they do not filter which ads can show up. Sometimes they even use unsafe advertising networks that display ads leading to dangerous sites that can fool people into providing their personal information or downloading PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) and malware.
Many people think that the internet is a safe place, and viruses, scams are things of the past. In reality, in the past few years, there has been a rise in fake antivirus warning sites, fake flash player updates, giveaways, and surveys. This is exactly where users can end up if they click on the links embedded in these pop-up ads.
|TYPE||Push notification spam; adware|
|SYMPTOMS||Pop up ads start appearing in the corner of the screen, sometimes even when the browser is closed|
|DISTRIBUTION||Shady websites, deceptive ads, software bundling|
|DANGERS||Links in the pop-ups can lead to dangerous websites where people can get tricked into providing their personal information or downloading PUPs and malware|
|ELIMINATION||Disable push notifications via browser settings|
|FURTHER STEPS||Use a repair tool such as ReimageIntego to fix any remaining damage and clear your browsers|
To avoid this, it is important to know how you ended up on this page in the first place. It is rare for people to find pages like this in search results. Most of the time, they get redirected from other already shady websites that are full of deceptive ads and sneaky redirects.
Especially often, users get redirected to push notification spam pages from illegal streaming platforms. They are unregulated and full of fake “Download” and “Play” buttons. It is very probable that many users were infected with pop-up ads because they were searching for a movie or TV show to watch.
Since Videomx.ru says “Click “ALLOW” to play the video” it is very probable that many users thought if they do that, they will be able to view the content. In reality, there is nothing to explore on this site except for the false message. You should never have to allow push notification in order to receive something from the page because it is not how it works.
Videomx.ru can be found on illegal streaming platforms
Disable pop-up ads
Below you will find a manual guide on how to take care of your Chrome browser. Because push notifications are subscription-based, you will have to disable them yourself:
Google Chrome (desktop):
- Open Google Chrome browser and go to Menu > Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Locate the Privacy and security section and pick Site Settings > Notifications.
- Look at the Allow section and look for a suspicious URL.
- Click the three vertical dots next to it and pick Block. This should remove unwanted notifications from Google Chrome.
Google Chrome (Android):
- Open Google Chrome and tap on Settings (three vertical dots).
- Select Notifications.
- Scroll down to Sites section.
- Locate the unwanted URL and toggle the button to the left (Off setting).
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to Menu > Options.
- Click on Privacy & Security section.
- Under Permissions, you should be able to see Notifications. Click Settings button next to it.
- In the Settings – Notification Permissions window, click on the drop-down menu by the URL in question.
- Select Block and then click on Save Changes. This should remove unwanted notifications from Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Websites tab and, under General, select Notifications.
- Select the web address in question, click the drop-down menu and select Deny.
- Open Microsoft Edge, and click the Settings and more button (three horizontal dots) at the top-right of the window.
- Select Settings and then go to Advanced.
- Under Website permissions, pick Manage permissions and select the URL in question.
- Toggle the switch to the left to turn notifications off on Microsoft Edge.
MS Edge (Chromium):
- Open Microsoft Edge, and go to Settings.
- Select Site permissions.
- Go to Notifications on the right.
- Under Allow, you will find the unwanted entry.
- Click on More actions and select Block.
Remove adware from your system
Illegal streaming platforms are not the only way you could have ended up on Videomx.ru. Users can also get redirected to push notification spam pages by adware. If you completed the previous steps but you still notice an increased amount of commercial content like pop-ups, banners, surveys, and others, or you often get redirected to strange websites, you may have adware installed in your system.
PUPs are most commonly spread on freeware distribution sites. Because the owners of these pages provide programs for free, they include additional programs in the installers that monetize user activity. People do not notice that other files were installed because they usually rush through the installation process. If you want to avoid PUAs, follow these steps:
- Always choose “Custom” or “Advanced” installation methods
- The most important part is to check the file list and untick the boxes next to the file names that seem unrelated
It is unclear which application could be causing the problems because PUAs are often disguised as “handy” tools. We suggest using professional security software like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes that can automatically scan your machine and eliminate them completely. If you want to do it yourself, here are the guides for Windows and Mac machines:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To entirely remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any suspicious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
Clear your browsers
However, in this case, you were probably browsing through a couple of questionable sites. They can sell the data to advertising networks or other third parties which can use them to target you with ads even more. There have also been instances when cookies were hijacked and used for malicious purposes.
That is why security experts recommend clearing them regularly. Since the process is very annoying for many users, there is an automatic solution – ReimageIntego. This powerful software can clear your browsers and also fix various system errors, registry issues, and corrupted files which is especially useful after a virus infection.
How to prevent from getting adware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.