Winmoreprize is yet another browser hijacker that uses persistent moves to drive users' traffic to predetermined websites
Winmoreprize is a browser hijacker that delivers the fake messages about valuable prizes to redirect its victims to sponsored sites. Unfortunately, there is no prize at the end of this redirect cycle and the only thing you get is a danger of being infected with adware, other hijacker or similar infection. Winmoreprize.com typically promotes iPhone and Samsung smartphones, gift cards and similar prizes that can be achieved after answering the given questionnaire. However, this scheme is rather used to swindle users' personal information than collect answers to specific questions. Besides, it can seriously affect the performance and speed of your IE, Firefox, and Chrome web browsers, so there is no need to postpone a full system scan and virus removal from the system.
|Category||Potentially unwanted program|
|Symptoms||Delivers intrusive advertisements, causes redirects to sponsored sites, tricks people into taking the part into fake surveys|
|Distribution||Software bundles, deceptive ads, suspicious websites|
|Possible danger||Can lure people into revealing their personal information; can redirect to infected sites|
|Elimination||Use ReimageIntego to get rid of any potential threats and clean the system|
Winmoreprize virus has already been mentioned in numerous security forums by users complaining about its intrusive behavior, never-ending redirects, advertisements, and similar adware-related symptoms. According to them, this threat is persistent and remains on the system when you try to change various browser settings. Additionally, it makes your system slow and keeps redirecting to various insecure sites.
From first sight, the alert displayed by Winmoreprize.com pop-ups may look legitimate because it includes logos from well-known companies and eye-catching titles. It states that the user only needs to answer three questions within one minute or so to get the wanted prize and there are only ten people who got this opportunity to win. Unfortunately, there are many scams related to this one, including Account.confirmprize.com or Google Prize scam. None of them has even helped victims to receive the desired prize.
Additionally, keep in mind that such PUPs tend to alter system settings without user's approval. Typical symptoms include:
- changed appearance of your browser;
- added bookmarks, extensions or toolbars;
- advertisements injected on commonly visited sites;
- ads promoting rogue software or tools appear out of nowhere;
- each click on the browser or pop-up window redirects to commercial content filled websites.
As you can see, there is no need to ignore the threat hiding on your system. To remove Winmoreprize for good and prevent more serious issues, researchers advise downloading ReimageIntego or another PC repair tool that will also fix your Registry after unauthorized changes. Unfortunately, but in most cases, it is not enough to reset your affected browsers to get rid of this threat completely.
Scan the system entirely using your reliable anti-malware or one of our suggestions provided below to perform a full Winmoreprize removal. Later on, change your passwords if you have already provided your personal details in the questionnaire. Finally, note that cybercriminals can send you more spam than previously. Be very careful with every email you receive to your inbox.
Winmoreprize virus is a browser hijacker seeking to mislead users into revealing their personal information by offering them generous prizes, e.g., iPhones, computers, etc.
Software bundles and deceptive websites have been actively used to distribute questionable programs
Anything on the internet can be possibly malicious and dangerous; you need to pay more attention to every activity online. Clicking on redirects, visiting online gambling sites or even getting your software from questionable sources may lead to cyber threats on the system.
You shouldn't click on the random advertisement or get optimization tools from non-legitimate websites. P2p services also are not recommended to use. Always choose Advanced or Custom options to avoid additional installations and de-select unwanted programs from the list when you get the opportunity to do so.
Keep your applications up-to-date so no deceptive advertisement or fake updater can to lure you into purchasing dubious tools. Download and use anti-malware tools more frequently, so you can keep your device safe.
Terminate Winmoreprize.com virus. Use anti-malware tools for the job
There are no signs that Winmoreprize virus runs on the system when you check background processes in the Task Manager, but this PUP can seriously affect your browsing online and the overall use of the PC. To determine if there are any malicious programs on the system, pay attention to browser changes and redirects to questionable sites.
While dealing with Winmoreprize removal, you may need to reboot your computer system to Safe mode before a full scan. For that, perform these steps:
- Click start and enter msconfig.exe into the command line and click on it;
- Select Boot, and put ticks under Safe boot and then under Network;
- Click OK and Restart buttons.
Now you should remove Winmoreprize and all suspicious entries from Task Manager. Finally, disable any questionable extensions, toolbars and similar add-ons on the affected web browser. A full guide explaining how to do that is provided below the article.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Winmoreprize, follow these steps:
Eliminate Winmoreprize from Windows systems
Get rid of Winmoreprize and other questionable applications to move further:
To remove Winmoreprize from Windows 10/8 machines, please follow these steps:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find entries related to Winmoreprize (or any other recently installed suspicious program).
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
If you are Windows 7/XP user, proceed with the following instructions:
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
Remove Winmoreprize from Internet Explorer (IE)
Make sure there are no additional adware pieces on the device by following these steps:
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Winmoreprize and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Winmoreprize removal.
Uninstall Winmoreprize from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to Winmoreprize and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
In case Winmoreprize did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete Winmoreprize removal.
Get rid of Winmoreprize from Google Chrome
Follow the guide and clean the browser thoroughly:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to Winmoreprize by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site like Winmoreprize in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the Winmoreprize-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete Winmoreprize removal.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Winmoreprize registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.