Wooly ransomware makes its first steps in the cyber space
WoolyBear or Wooly virus defines a new file-encrypting threat which is programmed to encrypt users’ files. At the moment, the file is still in its initial stage of development. The malware manages to encrypt users’ files and append .wooly extension. Nonetheless, the very operation mode triggers multiple errors.
At the moment, the ransomware presents no specific ransom message nor indicates the sum of ransom. Luckily, the infection is already detected by numerous security tools as Trojan.Ransom.Wooly, Win32:Malware-gen, Gen:Heur.Ransom.MSIL.1, Ransom_WOOLY.A, etc. Interestingly, the ransomware disguises under ransom.exe file. It may also pretend to be a file associated with the legitimate Visual Studio 2017.
Thus, if you have noticed that suddenly the overall performance operating system got significantly deteriorated, check the Task Manager. If some of your files already got modified and now bear .wooly file extension, it is high time you performed WoolyBear removal. Reimage Reimage Cleaner or Malwarebytes will help you with the elimination procedure.
“Script kiddies” join the market
This malware is only one of numerous malware samples available which are supposedly programmed by amateur wannabe hackers. On the one hand, sometimes such incomplete ransomware scripts happen to be more easily decryptable. On the other hand, they might cause more troubles rather than ordinary polished threats.
Interestingly, the malware source code contains an image of a polar bear. Thus, it might be only for amusement purposes. Nonetheless, there is no need to waste time and remove Wooly cyber infection.
WoolyBear crypto-malware is still under development
Ways to get infected with the malware
Regarding the features of the malware, users may accidentally activate WoolyBear hijack after they open an executable file of malicious app. As mentioned before, restrain from downloading any applications from secondary sources of web pages overcrowded with ads.
In addition, beware of the emails which are supposedly sent from the official institutions. Alarming letters from the FBI or National Tax Agency are common bait employed by cyber criminals. Thus, remain vigilant. Additional malware elimination tool might also help you ward off potential virtual threats.
Delete Wooly crypto-virus from Windows
It is likely that you should not encounter any Wooly removal difficulties. Launch a virus fighting utility and update it. You should repeat the procedure after restarting the device.
In case you cannot remove Wooly virus from the first attempt. Reboot the device in Safe Mode. Below guidelines instruct you how to do it in more detail. In addition, you will find below additional tips how to recover your data. Though the traffic of the malware is still limited, its samples might appear in, e.g., Hungarian domains.
To remove Wooly virus, follow these steps:
Remove Wooly using Safe Mode with Networking
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Networking
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Networking in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Remove Wooly
Log in to your infected account and start the browser. Download Reimage Reimage Cleaner or other legitimate anti-spyware program. Update it before a full system scan and remove malicious files that belong to your ransomware and complete Wooly removal.
If your ransomware is blocking Safe Mode with Networking, try further method.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Wooly from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Wooly, you can use several methods to restore them:
Will Data Recovery Pro help me get my files back?
Though the utility is designed to recover data affected by a system crash, there are chances that this tool will help you retrieve file affected by Wooly ransomware as well.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Wooly ransomware;
- Restore them.
The benefits of Shadow Explorer
There are no reports that the malware deletes shadow volume copies – the main tool of this program. Thus, launch it and you will be able to recover some of your data.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
At the moment, there is no official program created.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Wooly and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner , SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes