xmr-stak.exe Removal Guide
What is xmr-stak.exe?
xmr-stak.exe is the trojan responsible for extracting Monero and other cryptocurrency running on the CPU of your PC
xmr-stak.exe is the trojan that can be designed to directly mine cryptocurrency while running in the background of the PC. xmr-stak.exe is the threat that creates issues with the system because it causes changes and damages some crucial parts of the computer. This is the file related to the Nicehash and other similar programs used for the users' profit. However, it is a known and commonly reported issue regarding malicious purposes and suspicious activities related to the particular executable file. The Task Manager is a place where people notice the background process that triggers high usage of CPU and other resources of the device. It even gets relaunched and is persistent, so even when people try to remove it they get to experience the same intrusive activities again and again. There might be an issue with some settings or preferences, processes that creates annoying loops.
Unfortunately, the xmr-stak.exe virus still can be the serious Trojan designed to run on those resources and generate cryptocurrency for the malicious actor, not the user. The file itself can be located in the folder belonging to the Hasher or different cryptography program. But there are many reports from users and even researchers that the source code, particular files, and other contents related to this executable have malware.
|Type||Trojan/ Cryptocurrency miner|
|Issues created||The particular threat is triggering processes and programs that run in the background and trigger problems with the speed and performance of an infected machine. It can hide in the background without any symptoms for a while|
|Distribution||This file can be faulty but installed with a particular program that is legitimate and useful. However, the common type of file can be used by malicious actors when the file is spread around with the purpose of infecting machines. This distribution includes malicious links, spam email attachments, and malicious macros|
|Damage||There are many threats that can be installed by this trojan. It may also change crucial settings, affect particular functions and programs like security or antivirus applications|
|Elimination||You should remove xmr-stak.exe using anti-malware tools or other security programs that can determine the purpose of this file and delete the malicious program if that is needed|
|Repair||Threats like this can interfere with various functions and programs that run on the machine, so you should check for affected applications and system files with a proper PC repair tool like FortectIntego|
xmr-stak.exe can affect the machine significantly and cause damage to your device, software, or affect the state of security. You can sometimes notice particular issues and symptoms that indicate the infection, so pay attention to details like:
- high usage of CPU;
- extreme issues with graphic cards in use;
- programs or OS running slower;
- programs running without your knowledge or particular notice;
- the poor performance of the machine generally.
There are no particular symptoms that could indicate the xmr-stak.exe virus infection, but you need to be cautious of the possibilities to get such malware installed and be suspicious about all the programs and files that occur out of nowhere. A long time on the machine can open many doors for the threat, so the longer it manages to run on the computer, the more issues it can create.
This is why many experts, malware researchers advise removing the threat as soon as it is possible. You may have a difficult time while trying to remove xmr-stak.exe because of the changes already made in the functioning of the machine. This is why you can run the machine in Safe Mode with Networking first. Then launch the AV tool.
xmr-stak.exe is the file that can be related to cryptocurrency miner or even a trojan that collects such profits for malicious actor instead. When there are many functions that can be possibly designed to run via an xmr-stak.exe trojan, you as a victim of such a virus should react as soon as possible. The best way to remove the threat that infiltrates devices behind the user's back – anti-malware tools. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes can work perfectly for the particular diagnosis too.
This is the particular type of program that can determine if your device is affected by a trojan, and do you really need options for the xmr-stak.exe removal. However, scans using anti-malware or a security tool can help clear other intruders that trigger issues with your machine, so do not hesitate. Also, remain aware of the possible damage and affected system functions or files and run FortectIntego for the general virus damage check.
Malicious files can land on the machine without your notice
It is possible to get such specific malware when you visit compromised sites and do not pay attention to particular issues like file attachments on the emails. The virus itself and all the symptoms may vanish when the particular goal is achieved. So nor the infiltration nor the infection itself is noticed or avoided.
The best way to keep the machine free of infections is to pay attention to details that can trigger problems with important parts and functions. You need to have the AV tool or security program running more often, so the software can indicate issues and possible intruders for you.
Make sure to determine the state of the security and get rid of the xmr-stak.exe virus if needed
It most cases, when this file and other associated data got reported as dangerous or potentially malicious, people questioned if the file itself os the one related to malware. To determine if you need to remove xmr-stak.exe or not – run the anti-malware program like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes and pay attention to the detection results.
When the application finds this file, or other programs malicious and dangerous, you can run the same program and allow it to clear all the intruders or dangerous applications. After the full xmr-stak.exe removal, you should also go through settings and system function alterations. FortectIntego can do that for you automatically.
Getting rid of xmr-stak.exe. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Try to reboot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking, so you can run the AV tool and properly check the system for malware
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove xmr-stak.exe using System Restore
System Restore feature can also help with such issues as cyber infections. So you can remove xmr-stak.exe by recovering the PC in a previous state
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of xmr-stak.exe. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from xmr-stak.exe and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting trojans
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.