EyLamo virus Removal Guide
What is EyLamo ransomware virus?
EyLamo – another file-encrypting virus inspired by HiddenTear
EyLamo is a recently discovered ransomware which is based on the HiddenTear open source project. It appends .lamo file extension to each of the targeted files with the help of AES encryptions algorithm.
Malware might enter the system as an obfuscated email attachment, fake program or using similar tricks. On the affected device is installed two executable files that start its malicious tasks immediately – hidden-tear.exe and EyLamo.exe.
Before starting the most important task – data encryption, this crypto-malware makes modifications on Windows. It might make entries in the Registry, install unknown files or inject malicious codes into legitimate system processes.
All these changes are necessary to run EyLamo virus with system startup and make its removal complicated. Once malware strengthens its presence on the PC, it starts scanning the system looking for targeted files.
Malware aims at the most popular Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, various multimedia files, databases, archives, etc. The file-encrypting virus is suspected of using the same AES cryptography as other variants of Hidden Tear.
Following data encryption, it might change computer’s desktop with a black image saying:
Oops, your files have been blocked. Please read the READ_IT.txt file on your desktop for more information.
Judging from the content of READ_IT.txt, we can tell that authors of the EyLamo do not act like professional cyber criminals. In the ransom note, they ask to send bitcoins or kebab to get decryption key. However, neither the sum of the ransom nor address where to send a kebab are not provided.
Thus, trying to guess how much money cyber criminals want is not recommended. Probably, such activity will end up with a waste of money. There are numerous cases when victims haven’t received decryption key after paying the ransom.
However, the most important fact about data recovery is that files might be restored with Hidden Tear decrypters. However, before giving them a try, you should perform EyLamo removal.
To eliminate ransomware along with all its components, you have to employ a professional security software. We suggest employing ReimageIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner. However, the extortionist might be resistant and prevent you from installing malware removal tools. In this case, you will find our removal instructions handy.
Once you remove EyLamo automatically, you could safely plug in USB or hard drive with data backups and copy necessary entries. Or you can use decryption software or try alternative recovery tools presented at the end of the article.
EyLamo is another HiddenTear-based ransomware virus that should be eliminated from the computer ASAP.
Strategies used in crypto-malware distribution
Developers of the ransomware usually rely on traditional malware distribution methods, such as:
- fake software downloads;
- exploit kits.
Authors of EyLamo are suspected of using the same strategies too. Thus, if you have suffered from the ransomware, the attack might have occurred when you opened a malicious email attachment, installed bogus program or update, clicked on a malware-laden ad or forgot to update operating system or software for a long time.
No matter where you live – America, France or Japan – this cyber infection might reach you if you don’t follow these security tips:
- Do not open spam emails and links or attachments included there.
- Before opening email attachment make sure that it’s actually was sent from the company or organization.
- Install new programs from the credible and secure online sources. Keep in mind that using torrents might be dangerous.
- Do not trick on ads that ask to update software, suggest installing unknown tools and offers too good to be true shopping offers.
- Do not visit high-risk websites.
- Keep all software up-to-date.
Terminate EyLamo virus with the help of reputable security software
In order to remove EyLamo from the computer safely and quickly, you have to employ professional software. Trying to locate ransomware-related entries might lead to irreversible damage to the system.
To avoid posing a threat to your computer, you should install malware removal program. We suggest dedicating this task to ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. These tools are capable of detecting and eliminating all malicious entries. However, don’t forget to update them first!
If you need extra help with EyLamo removal, check our prepared instructions below. It will help you to deal with obstacles and reveals data recovery options.
Getting rid of EyLamo virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
If you cannot perform automatic EyLamo removal, you should reboot the computer to Safe Mode with Networking and try again.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove EyLamo using System Restore
System Restore method also helps to disable the virus when it prevents from installing or running security software.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of EyLamo. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove EyLamo from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Following strange hackers' instructions is not a safe way to redeem your files. If you have backups, use them after ransomware removal. If not, these four methods should help you to get back the majority of encrypted files.
If your files are encrypted by EyLamo, you can use several methods to restore them:
Data Recovery Pro might help to restore files with .lamo extension
This professional tool has already helped numerous victims of ransomware to recover the majority of corrupted files. Thus, it may help you too.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by EyLamo ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature helps to copy individual files
This Windows feature allows accessing previously saved versions of the encrypted files. Thus, if System Restore function has been activated before ransomware attack, you should follow these steps.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Try ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by EyLamo ransomware
The virus should not delete Shadow Volume Copies that ar necessary in order to use ShadowExplorer. Thus, follow the steps below to use this tool:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
HiddenTear decrypters might help as well
EyLamo ransomware virus is based on this open-source ransomware project. Thus, HiddenTear decryptors might help to recover files encrypted by this new version of the malware. You can download them from here and here.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from EyLamo and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.