Kropun virus Removal Guide
What is Kropun ransomware?
Kropun ransomware is another variant of the devastating STOP ransomware virus
Kropun ransomware is a file locker that stems from STOP virus family and locks data with a strong AES cipher
Kropun is a ransomware-type virus that was first spotted in the wild by Michael Gillespie in mid-March 2019. It belongs to STOP virus family, more precisely, to Promos ransomware subgroup which uses such extensions as .blower, .kroput, .klope and now .kropun. Unfortunately, unlike most of its predecessors, Kropun virus cannot be decrypted, meaning that file recovery is only available via backups or alternative methods. As soon as the encryption procedure is completed, malware drops a ransom note _readme.txt, which explains users that all the personal pictures, documents, videos, spreadsheets, databases, and other important files are held hostage, and allegedly, the only way to retrieve them is by paying cybercriminals $980 in Bitcoin and then writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. As usual, this course of action is highly discouraged by security experts. Instead, victims should remove Kropun ransomware and should wait for the new decryptor to become available.
|Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com|
|Ransom size||$980 with 50% discount available within 72 hours of the infection|
|Distribution||Spam email attachments, brute-force attacks, exploits, repacked or cracked software, drive-by downloads, etc.|
|Removal||Use reputable anti-malware software|
|Recovery||To remove all virus damage and recover from the infection, scan your PC with ReimageIntego|
Only a very few samples of Kropun virus infections were caught in the wild, so it is unclear what distribution methods cybercriminals are using. However, it is highly likely that they employ spam email attachments or links, exploit kits, brute-force attacks, malicious executables hosted on hacked sites, torrents, etc.
Once Kropun payload is downloaded on the machine, it first performs multiple changes to the operating system, such as Windows registry modification, removal of Shadow Volume Snapshots, the addition of scheduled tasks, elimination of certain processes, spawning of new ones, etc. The virus performs these adjustments in order to complete the encryption process quickly without any disturbances. Also, these modifications might prevent an easy Kropun ransomware removal for the victim.
As soon as Kropun ransomware establishes itself, it drops a ransom note _readme.txt which states the following:
———————————————- ALL YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED ———————————————–
Don’t worry, you can return all your files!
All your files documents, photos, databases and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees do we give to you?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information
Don’t try to use third-party decrypt tools because it will destroy your files.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
Your personal ID:
Please do not contact cybercriminals, even if you are desperate to recover your locked files. Security researchers are continually working on decryptors for such threats like Kropun ransomware, so it is most likely just a matter of time before it will be created. On the other hand, you can also try alternative recovery methods – we provide the instructions below.
If you decide to contact Kropun ransomware authors after all, be aware that you are risking of losing all your money, as they might not send you the decryptor back. Additionally, you will prove that the ransomware scheme works, and the crooks will continue its malicious deeds in the future, infecting more innocent users worldwide.
Kropun is a ransomware-type malware tries to get a payment of $980 in BTC for the alleged file decryptor
Be vigilant when you browse the internet and use protection measures to stop viruses before they can enter
Unfortunately, but users are quite careless when it comes to cybersecurity. By now, most of the regular users know that downloading pirated software, visiting dodgy sites, ignoring software updates and not owning a security application drastically improves the risk of the infection. Nevertheless, they do not believe that they will fall victims.
Once the file encryption is completed (which usually takes just a few seconds, so stopping the procedure is almost impossible), the chances of restoring data are slim. This is the time when victims regret not protecting their systems from such unpleasant and straight out devastating consequences.
Thus, make sure you take some precautionary measures:
- Backup your files on a remote server or an external drive;
- Employ reputable security software;
- Patch your system as soon as security updates are released;
- Beware of fake Flash, Windows, and similar updates – tick an automatic option so you would not have to worry about it;
- Use ad-blocker, although do not forget to add exclusions to sites you want to support;
- Avoid high-risk websites: porn, torrent, gambling, etc.;
- Be careful when you install new software from the internet – always pick Advanced/Custom options to avoid all the bloatware which can consequently compromise the security of your device.
Terminate Kropun ransomware virus with the help of reliable security programs
Kropun ransomware removal should not be a complicated task, as long as you follow our instructions below and choose a reputable anti-malware application to deal with the infection. Due to an intense system modification, it is highly advised you enter Safe Mode with Networking, where the operation of Kropun virus can be temporarily disabled.
Once you remove Kropun ransomware from your PC, proceed with the file recovery. Be aware that, if you attempt to retrieve your files before you terminate the virus, all the data will be encrypted repeatedly, even if it is from backups. Thus, make sure you do this in the correct order.
While the decryptor for the threat is not yet available, you can try to recover at least some of your data with methods listed below.
Getting rid of Kropun virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
To stop Kropun ransomware activity, enter Safe Mode with Networking as explained here:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Kropun using System Restore
Make use of System Restore to terminate the virus:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Kropun. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Kropun from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Kropun, you can use several methods to restore them:
Take advantage of Data Recovery Pro
Data Recovery Pro is a reputable tool when it comes to data retrieval. While it was not specifically designed to restore files encrypted by ransomware, it was observed to be useful in some such cases.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Kropun ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature might be useful when trying to recover data encrypted by .kropun
This method will only work if you had System Restore enabled at the time of the ransomware attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
In some cases, ShadowExplorer might restore all of you files
As we already mentioned, ransomware attempts to delete Shadow Volume Copies. If this process fails, ShadowExplorer should be able to restore all of your data.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
No decryptor is currently available
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Kropun and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.