Maftask is a Mac Auto Fixer-related process that prevents users from uninstalling the potentially unwanted program
Maftask is a process that users an find running in their Activity Monitor on macOS/Mac OS X which resides in the following location /Users/test/Library/Application Support/maf/maftask.app/Contents/MacOS/maftask. While there are many background processes running on computers all time times, Maf task is the one that users should not ignore, as its existence indicates the infection of a potentially unwanted application Mac Auto Fixer.
The dubious system optimization tool has earned itself a bad name over the years, as it posses typical signs of scareware: it gets deceptively installed with freeware or fake updates and then spams users with fake notifications prompting them to buy a full version of the app. On top of that, users have been struggling to remove Maftask from Mac, and Apple forums are filling with pleads for help.
Due to questionable distribution techniques and deceptive behavior, the process is often called Maftask virus. While it is not an entirely correct statement (viruses attach itself to other apps to spread further), it is understandable from the users' point of view. In short, if you are looking at how to get rid of Maftask, you should check the bottom section of this post – we provide a detailed guide.
|Related software||Users who see Maftask process running are infected with Mac Auto Fixer – a potentially unwanted application that shows false positives in order to make users buy its full version|
|Target operating system||All macOS and Mac OS X system versions that support Mac Auto Fixer app|
|Distribution||The unwanted process and its root program are usually installed unwillingly – users download it as an optional component in a software bundle that comes from a third-party site. In some cases, users may be tricked by fake updates or install the PUP intentionally while looking for legitimate system repair tools|
|Removal||Reimage Reimage Cleaner can successfully deal with all suspicious content|
We recommend saving your money for more relevant products or services or using it on a reliable antivirus tool. In this case, if you have been experiencing bogus alerts from Maftask, the only way to stop them is by removing the rogue system tool together with this questionable process, which is the source that the software is running from.
You can remove Maftask either manually or automatically. The first option requires precision, as moving the Mac Auto Fixer to Trash is not enough. For more details, refer to the bottom section below. However, if you want a quick solution, do not delay and download automatic Maftask removal software, such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner , or any other reputable security tool. Note that, by choosing anti-malware software, you will ensure that all the adware or other potentially malicious programs are eliminated from your device.
Maftask is a component of Mac Auto Fixer, which means that you installed scareware on your computer. In most of the cases, it is likely to occur without your intention, as potentially unwanted applications are usually bundled with third-party software. While it is highly recommended to refrain yourself from downloading apps from unofficial sources, sometimes users just want a particular application that does not exist on the App Store. In such a case, make sure you check the installation process carefully and get rid of any unwanted optional components offered to you during the installation.
Maftask is related to Mac Auto Fixer system tool which displays false virus alerts on users computers
Nevertheless, Maftask virus might have also been installed after you have been tricked by fake Flash updates. This is a common technique used by malware developers in order to mislead users, claiming that Flash Player needs updating. What users end up installing, however, only becomes clear after the act. Without a doubt, some such downloads can infect your machine with nasty malware, and you might be facing much more serious ramifications, such as money loss or even identity theft.
Once on the Mac system, Maf task creates various entries, which are scattered all over the system. This particular feature is what makes Maftask removal particularly difficult, especially if users try to perform it manually. Nevertheless, if you choose such a method, below, we indicate which files you need to eliminate to get rid of this malware once and for all.
Distribution techniques of potentially suspicious content
Technology experts from Virusai.lt claim that suspicious programs and their additional components infiltrate systems through various different sources. However, the most popular distribution techniques are bundled software, unprotected domains, infectious hyperlinks or third-party advertisements. You can prevent the installation of ad-supported programs and other questionable content by following this guide:
- Always have reputable antivirus protection running on your machine. Also, make sure that your software includes a safe browsing feature that will stop you every time you try to enter a suspicious domain.
- Do not use third-party downloaders or installers. Always download your programs from trusted sources (App Store, Amazon, etc.) and use the Custom configuration mode to track all incoming software.
- Avoid entering suspicious websites. If you ever see a page that looks suspicious to you, do not risk your computer's safety by entering that page as you might get infected with something more developed and dangerous than adware.
- Keep all of your apps updated. If you have any software or antivirus programs running on your system, make sure that you regularly perform all required updates, otherwise, the tools might contain errors which allow developers to infiltrate their potentially unwanted apps much easier.
Maftask process can be found in Activity Monitor - in some cases, shutting it down proves unsuccessful
Elimination guidelines for Maftask virus on macOS and web browsers
As we have already said, Maftask is the name of a process which is responsible for launching a rogue system optimization tool known as Mac Auto Fixer. The termination of this process is necessary if you want to eliminate the system program from your machine and prevent it from bombarding false security alerts.
Maftask removal can be completed by using our below-given step-by-step guide that has been created to help users through the entire elimination process. These instructions include steps for cleaning macOS and browser apps such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari. If you are choosing this method, however, you also need to get rid of the following files that are likely to reside on your system:
/Applications/Mac Auto Fixer.app
/Volumes/MacAutoFixer/.hlpr/Mac Auto Fixer
~/Applications/Mac Auto Fixer.app
~/Library/Application Support/Mac Auto Fixer
~/Library/Logs/Mac Auto Fixer.log
~/Library/Mac Auto Fixer
Also, you can easily and effectively remove Maftask virus by downloading and installing reliable anti-malware equipment. Once you launch this software on your system, it will initiate a full system scan, detect all potential threats, and start performing the removal. This way you will sure that all locations in your computer are clean of adware.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner . SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Maftask, follow these steps:
Uninstall Maftask from Mac OS X system
Terminate all adware-related processes from your infected Mac computer by using the below-provided helping instructions:
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Maftask or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Get rid of Maftask from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Maftask and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Maftask removal.
Erase Maftask from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Maftask and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Maftask removal.
Delete Maftask from Google Chrome
You can successfully clean Google Chrome from all questionable-looking objects. This action can be completed by using these simple guidelines:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Maftask and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Maftask removal.
Remove Maftask from Safari
All suspicious objects that you have not downloaded or all unexpected changes that you do not remember performing need to be permanently removed from Safari. Use these guidelines to achieve such goal:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Maftask or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Maftask removal process.