Nymaim is a very dangerous ransomware virus that can do anything to swindle your money. In most of the cases, it pretends to be a legitimate message from some governmental institution. This virus is related to Cryptolocker, FBI virus and many other threats that hail from Ukash virus family. If Nymaim infects your computer, you will receive a full-screen notification claiming that you have to pay a fee in order to avoid criminal charges for the crimes that you allegedly did, such as downloading illegal content, distributing child pornography, etc. In order to avoid these charges, you will be offered to pay a $100-$300 or €100-€200 fine. Language, logos and currency can be different because they depend on the ransomware's distribution country. If you got similar notification, don't pay a single cent because it is a scam. Nymaim can also block the access to your desktop and initiate other dangerous activities on the system. If you noticed any of them, you should run a full system scan with reputable anti-spyware and remove Nymaim virus.
How can Nymaim infiltrate my computer?
Similar viruses infiltrate computers in various ways. You can easily infect your PC with Nymaim virus after opening spam letter with corrupted attachment or download infected files with illegal and/or fake programs. In most of the cases, this virus is spread by trojan Trojan.Nymaim.B that can easily enter systems unnoticed and download malicious files without showing you any sign about that. Although Nymaim notifications may look genuine, don't be deceived by them because they are fake. If you noticed similar alert on your computer's desktop, be sure that it's not from police or other governmental authority. It's from scammers that seek to earn some easy money. To avoid viruses like this one, you should install reputable anti-spyware tool that keeps your system protected all the time. If this virus has already infected it, we can help you to remove it.
How to remove Nymaim virus?
You should never fall for such scams and don't pay a single cent for these cyber criminals that create them! If you noticed Nymaim virus on your computer, you should scan it with one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. If you can't launch any of these apps, it is possible that Nymaim is blocking them. In this case, you should follow this guide:
* Manual Nymaim virus removal:
- Reboot you infected PC to 'Safe mode with command prompt' to disable virus (this should be working with all versions of this threat)
- Run Regedit
- Search for WinLogon Entries and write down all the files that are not explorer.exe or blank. Replace them with explorer.exe.
- Search the registry for these files you have written down and delete the registry keys referencing the files.
- Reboot and run a full system scan with updated Reimage to remove leftovers of this virus. You can also try Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus or Malwarebytes Anti Malware
* Flash drive method:
- Take another machine and use it to download Reimage or other reputable anti-malware program.
- Update the program and put into the USB drive or simple CD.
- In the meanwhile, reboot your infected machine to Safe Mode with command prompt and stick USB drive in it.
- Reboot computer infected with Nymaim virus once more and run a full system scan.
* Users infected with Nymaim virus are allowed to access other accounts on their Windows systems. If one of such accounts has administrator rights, you should be capable to launch anti-malware program.
* Try to deny the Flash to make your ransomware stop function as intended. In order to disable the Flash, go to Macromedia support and select 'Deny': http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help09.html. After doing that, run a full system scan with anti-malware program.