Oblivion virus Removal Guide
What is Oblivion ransomware?
Oblivion ransomware is a dangerous virus from Scarab family
Oblivion ransomware is a crypto-virus that encodes a variety of personal files on users computers. It uses AES cipher and adds .OBLIVION extension to each of the encrypted files. The malware drops a ransom note called OBLIVION Decryption Information.txt where hackers ask victims to contact them via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org email and arrange the payment in BTC for data release.
|File locking virus
|email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
|High. Encrypts all files which might never be decrypted
|Spam email attachments, malicious websites, etc.
|Automatic only – download and install FortectIntego or Malwarebytes
Oblivion virus was first noticed in late April 2018 and is a variation of Scarab ransomware. Therefore, it is sometimes referred to as Scarab-Oblivion ransomware. Scarab malware was first spotted a few years ago and since then keeps coming back with newer and even more sophisticated versions, and Oblivion is one of them.
Ransomware is a dangerous threat as victims are at risk of losing their files permanently. We provide file recovery procedures below, so make sure to check them out. But, first of all, you need to remove Oblivion ransomware using powerful security software – we recommend FortectIntego or Malwarebytes.
Oblivion ransomware typically enters machines via contaminated spam email attachments or malicious files from the internet. As soon as it gets inside the computer, it alters the array of settings. This allows the file-locker to load itself with every Windows boot up.
After strengthening its presence, the crypto locker appends .OBLIVION extension and converts file names into randomly generated alphanumerics. For example, if you had a file called picture.jpg, it will be turned into EuUDruppb9kjgkw5HlgzXo.OBLIVION. From this point, these files are encrypted and need to be unlocked using a specific key that is held on a remote server.
Oblivion ransomware authors abuse this situation and ask for money in return. The victim is asked to contact them via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org email and is warned that any complaints will result in permanent blockage of data as they will never provide the key. Cybercrooks request to resolve the issue “in a friendly situation.”
However, contacting hackers is not a smart move. First of all, if they are trying to extort money in such illegal way – they might as well not send you the key back, even after the payment is processed. In other cases, you might receive a contaminated file that may install other malware on your computer. Furthermore, hackers might target your machine again, knowing that you are willing to pay.
Thus, do not contact Oblivion virus authors. These people cannot be trusted. Instead, proceed with Oblivion ransomware removal. After you get rid of the virus, you can then start thinking about ways how to recover your files. Unfortunately, the only trustworthy way to get your data back is from a remote backup, such as cloud server or external HDD that was not connected to the PC during contamination.
If you did not have your files backed up, there are some alternative methods that you can try. All the instructions are below this article.
Oblivion ransomware is a deadly virus that encrypts personal files using .OBLIVION appendix. To unlock the data, users need to get a key that is stored on a remote server.
Be careful when you open emails from unknown sources
Spam emails are still the most prominent ransomware distribution method as it is effective. Thus, cybercrooks send hundreds if not thousands of phishing emails to unsuspecting users. There are quite a few signs that separate illicit email from a genuine one:
- Users are never referred to using their names (as emails are sent to masses);
- The email address that the phishing mail was sent from can be very similar to original retailer name, for example, email@example.com (if not looking carefully one might think that the email is coming from Amazon);
- Such emails contain attachment in .txt, .doc, .pdf or few other formats and users are urged to open the file persuasively;
- Quite often, victims are asked to enable a macro function to open the file.
Besides, email providers have a built-in scanner which marks up suspicious emails, so never ignore these warnings!
Other methods of ransomware distribution are through unprotected RDP configuration, exploit kits, fake updates, repacked or cracked software installers, etc.
Get rid of Oblivion ransomware automatically
It is not possible to remove Oblivion virus manually, so don’t even attempt that. The malware runs multiple scripts in different locations of the system and roots deep into the OS.
Instead, you should employ reputable anti-virus software that can take care of Oblivion removal. Helper objects might block the operation of security software; therefore, security specialists recommend entering Safe Mode with Networking.
Getting rid of Oblivion virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Enter Safe Mode with Networking by following these steps:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Oblivion using System Restore
You can get rid of Oblivion virus by using System Restore:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Oblivion. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Oblivion from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Please do not contact cybercrooks. Not only you risk losing your money, but you will also be financing illegal activities of hackers. Instead, try alternative file recovery methods below.
If your files are encrypted by Oblivion, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try to recover your files using Data Recovery Pro
Data Recovery Pro is a powerful tool that is capable of restoring hard-coded files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Oblivion ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature might help
This method is only possible if System Restore function was enabled before the ransomware attack occurred.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
If you got lucky and shadow volume copies were not deleted by malware, you can use ShadowExplorer to get all your data back.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Oblivion decryptor is not available yet
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Oblivion and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.