PooleZoor virus Removal Guide
What is PooleZoor ransomware?
PooleZoor – an Iranian ransomware which is based on the HiddenTear code
PooleZoor - a file-encrypting ransomware virus which corrupts important data by adding the .poolezoor extension to each of it.
PooleZoor ransomware is a dangerous cryptovirus which appears to be related to the HiddenTear source code. It was observed that its developers are hailing from Iran. However, the ransomware seems to be attacking all PC users worldwide. The cryptovirus appears on the system as the Peyment.exe file. It starts encrypting files and marks them with the .poolezoor file extension. As a result, PooleZoor ransomware turns this data unusable and then displays a ransom message offering a decryption tool for files' recovery. In exchange, victims need to transfer a certain amount of money to the cybercriminals.
|DANGERS||Encrypts important data, convinces naive users to buy the ransom, might open paths for other malware forms, decreases the PC's protection|
|prevention TIPS||Stay away from dubious-looking web sources, install antivirus|
If you spotted files encrypted with the .poolezoore extension and also found the ransom note in every folder, do not rush to pay the ransom. We advise thinking everything twice and removing this virus before you start recovering your encrypted files. Then, follow tips that are given at the end of this post to recover your most valuable data. According to SenzaVirus.it specialists, cybercrooks often do not fulfill their promises. Once the money is transferred, they disappear and leave their victims with nothing.
At the moment of writing, there is no certain information about the ransom amount and currency required by PooleZoor ransomware. However, cybercriminals often urge their victims to use these types of currency:
However, make sure you never deal with cybercriminals as there is no guarantee that you will be left with nothing. You need to remove PooleZoor virus from your computer to stop the infection from spreading and reaching its further goals. Consider using FortectIntego or any other similar anti-malware tool to fix your computer.
A recommendation after the PooleZoor ransomware removal would be to take care of your data safety in advance. For such purpose, you can use an external hard drive, USB drive, icloud and similar methods that could help you keep your data safe. If you store copies of important documents in one of such devices, they will be reachable only for the owner – you. However, note that either an external hard drive or other devices should be disconnected from your computer as ransomware viruses can easily affect the entire network when inside the system.
PooleZoor ransomware is a cryptovirus which manages to enter the system with the help of spam messages and start its activity slightly straight in the Windows Registry.
Prevent ransomware infections by paying more attention to spam
The biggest possibility of getting infected with ransomware is when dealing with dubious spam messages and content included within them. Such phishing messages usually appear as legal content, however, they often carry harmful material, such as infected attachments or links. If you are not expecting anything important and happen to receive a strange-looking email, eliminate it without hesitation to avoid downloading malware to the system. You can also hover the mouse over the link to see if it is safe to be opened.
Malware experts from Ioys.gr also recommend increasing your computer's safety by downloading reputable antivirus program. If you don't have such a tool yet, install one of the anti-malware programs provided below. It will perform regular system scans and look for various cyber threats. Notice, you need to keep it always updated to make sure that it works properly.
Make sure PooleZoor ransomware is removed on time to prevent additional loss of your files
If you want to remove PooleZoor ransomware from your computer system, you need to think about doing it in a professional way as manual elimination is not suitable for this case. We advise installing trusted anti-malware tools such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, or Malwarebytes. These programs will guide you thru the whole removal process and will help you get rid of the ransomware infection within several minutes.
After you perform the PooleZoor removal, make sure you carry out some system backups. This is very important because you need to make sure that the virus did not leave any hazardous components behind itself.
Getting rid of PooleZoor virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Activate Safe Mode with Networking to disable the ransomware-type virus:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove PooleZoor using System Restore
Use System Restore feature to prevent further damage:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of PooleZoor. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove PooleZoor from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Look thru the following data restoring methods and choose the most suitable for you. If you follow the instructions carefully, such third-party tools might help you get important documents back.
If your files are encrypted by PooleZoor, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try Data Recovery Pro and unlock important data:
This method might work and help you recover a lot of files if you follow the given instructions carefully.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by PooleZoor ransomware;
- Restore them.
Use Windows Previous Version feature for file recovery:
Try this method if wanting to restore lost data. However, this technique will not work if you did not activate the System Restore feature before the cyber attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Shadow Explorer might help you:
However, this method will work only if the virus did not manage to permanently erase files' Shadow Copies.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
There is no original PooleZoor ransomware decrypter found yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from PooleZoor and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.