R3store virus Removal Guide
What is R3store ransomware virus?
R3store threatens to damage the computer if victims don’t pay the ransom
R3store is a new file-encrypting virus that aims at Windows operating system users. Malware is based on Hidden Tear ransomware project and uses a strong encryption algorithm to damage files on targeted computer. During data encryption, it appends .r3store file extension to each of the affected file. It aims at various text files, pictures, media files, databases, etc. Generally, it targets the most popular and widely used files to cause bigger damage to the victims and encourage them to pay the ransom. When users are prevented from opening their personal data, R3store ransomware drops READ_IT.txt file to each folder that includes encrypted files. What is more, it runs a pop-up window with a ransom-demanding message. Crooks ask to send $450 in Bitcoins to provided Bitcoin wallet address. Once users pay the ransom, they have to click the big button saying “I paid, Give me my files back!” and recover their files. However, it may not happen. It’s unknown if authors of the ransomware actually have working decryptor and are going to keep their word. Undoubtedly, cyber criminals are unreliable people. For this reason, it’s better to remove R3store and protect a device from other problems.
On the affected computer, R3store also makes few changes on the system. One of its tasks is to make sure that it runs when users start his or her computer. Thus, ransomware always works in the background. It uses computer’s resources and makes the system weaker. Such cyber threats are often capable of installing other malicious programs and causing more problems. Once it strengthens its persistence, it starts scanning the system looking for the targeted files. When they are locked with strong cipher, R3store delivers a ransom-demanding window. Crooks try to scare people and encourage them to pay the ransom by telling that there’s any other way to get back their files and computer. The horrible message includes buttons that cover information about possible payment methods, the list of encrypted files and information how to buy Bitcoins. As we already mentioned, this does not guarantee that your files will be recovered. That’s why we recommend R3store removal. It protects your PC from other dangers and your money from being wasted for a useless cyber crime.
Authors of R3store ransomware blackmail people and ask to pay $450 for data recovery.
Ransomware uses tricky methods to infiltrate the device
Authors of R3store use numerous strategies to spread this file-encrypting virus. These methods include infected email attachments, fake updates, bogus software downloads, and malvertising. Thus, users are tricked to click or install a malicious file. Malware executable might arrive as safely looking email attachment that pretends to be an invoice, statement or another important document. Ransomware executable might also be installed in the form of “crucial” software update. Usually, such updates appear in pop-ups and other online ads. R3store hijack the system pretending to be a useful program that is distributed on various file-sharing sites and networks. Thus, in order to avoid crypto-malware, you need to browse the web carefully and think twice before clicking on various content.
Guidelines for R3store removal
File-encrypting viruses are complex programs that need proper treatment. In order to remove R3store safely from the system, you have to employ a professional malware removal program, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Before installing our recommended tool, you may need to reboot the computer to the Safe Mode with Networking (instructions are presented below). It might be necessary if ransomware prevents from installing security tools. After installing the program, we suggest scanning the system several times in order to make sure that all malicious components are deleted entirely from the system. After R3store removal, you can use data backups to recover your files. If you do not have them, please try our presented alternative recovery methods presented below.
Getting rid of R3store virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
R3store might prevent from installing security software necessary for malware removal. To solve this problem follow the steps below.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove R3store using System Restore
If you cannot run automatic ransomware removal, follow these steps and try again.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of R3store. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove R3store from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
Currently, the only safe way to restore files is data backups, but if you do not have them, you should additional methods presented below.
If your files are encrypted by R3store, you can use several methods to restore them:
Restore your files with Data Recovery Pro
This professional tool might help to restore files encrypted by R3store ransomware. It is designed to recover deleted or corrupted files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by R3store ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature might be useful in data recovery
If you need to restore only a few important files, you should take advantage of this Windows feature. It allows accessing previously saved versions of encrypted files. However, there’s one condition. System Restore function has to be enabled on your PC before the R3store attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Recovr your files using ShadowExplorer
If Shadow Volume Copies are not deleted, this tool could help you to restore some of your files.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
R3store Decryptor is not available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from R3store and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.