Rediroff.ru scam Removal Guide
What is Rediroff.ru scam?
Rediroff.ru is a scam website that is spread via social media platforms like WhatsApp
Rediroff.ru is a malicious website you should not interact with
Thousands of websites are created and deleted every single day. More reputable and trustworthy websites remain online for years or even decades, while others are shut down for one reason or another. Rediroff.ru is a website you should definitely not trust, as it spreads various scams and employs phishing techniques for malicious purposes.
While some users might be redirected to the website by accident, they usually receive a private message via social media or communication platforms such as Discord, WhatsApp, or Facebook Messenger (which is typically written in Spanish). Another way users might end up on malicious websites is adware – a type of software that is usually installed behind their backs.
As soon as users are redirected to the site, they might be presented with all sorts of fraudulent content. For example, they might be shown a typical shop where items can allegedly be purchased – users later find out that the order is completely fake and they never received what they have ordered.
In other cases, people might be shown a phishing message claiming that they have won a particular sum of bitcoin and that they need to send 0.01 bitcoin to receive it. As evident, this is nothing but a scam, and these messages should be straight out ignored.
If you have come across the Rediroff.ru website after clicking a link on a messaging app or were redirected to it, you should not interact with the presented content. Otherwise, you might suffer from monetary losses, personal information theft, or you might be tricked into installing malicious software on your device. If you have interacted with the scam, please check out the remediation process below.
|Distribution||Redirects from malicious websites, links on social media. Adware is mostly spread via software bundles and fake ads|
|Dangers||Financial losses, malware infections, personal information disclosure to malicious parties, etc.|
|Elimination||Perform a full system scan with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner to check it for infections can then secure all your personal information if you interacted with the scam|
|System fix||If you found adware or malware on your device, clear browser caches and repair damaged system components with ReimageIntego|
How the scam spreads and how to avoid being tricked
Every year, billions of dollars are lost due to scams, and the number is constantly rising, especially in the woke of the pandemic when people spend more time at home. The increase of malicious activity online is significant – cyberattack output is also at all times high. Therefore, it is the best time to reduce the probability of encountering fraudulent websites and also ensure that precautionary measures are used.
As we already mentioned, there are several ways how Rediroff.ru scam can be spread. Here are some tips that should help you to avoid it:
Messaging apps are extremely popular and are used by millions of users for instant communication via text or video calls. Their usage was elevated due to the pandemic even more, as more people were forced to work from home. Thus, always treat each of the links from unknown sources as potentially dangerous and do not click them. If you are not sure, you can right-click the link, select “Copy link address,” and check it via online analysis tools like Virus Total. Also, configure your messaging settings so that strangers wouldn't be able to message you.
Link clicks and other malicious websites. You are likely to get redirected to a scam website after clicking on a link somewhere else. This activity is more prominent on high-risk websites, such as illegal video streaming, gambling, or pirated program distribution sites. Thus, stay away from these places, as they are generally dangerous; for example, torrents might get you infected with Yjqs ransomware.
Rediroff.ru might convince you to provide personal information or install malicious software
Software bundles are used to spread adware, which can be the primary cause of browser redirects. To avoid the installation of potentially unwanted programs, you should avoid untrustworthy sources when downloading software and always pay close attention to the installation process (pick Advanced/Custom settings instead of Recommended/Quick ones, read the fine print, remove ticks from pre-ticked checkboxes, confirm button placements and consequences of pressing them, etc.).
All in all, we recommend you always be more vigilant when dealing with any type of content online. Employing adequate internet security tools can be a great way to reach such a goal.
Check your system for adware
While avoiding being scammed online is particularly important, it is also important to make sure that your system is not already infected with some type of malicious software. For example, once redirected to Rediroff.ru or a similar site, you might be asked to install something – it could be a potentially unwanted program or even malware.
In some cases, malware could also be installed without user interactions at all, as long as their browser or other software on the device is vulnerable. To prevent this from happening, make sure all programs, including the operating system, are updated with the latest security patches.
1. Check for installed programs
First of all, you should check the installed applications in Control Panel in Windows or Applications in Mac. Go through the list and uninstall everything suspicious. If you are not sure about something, skip this step.
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
2. Uninstall useless extensions
The next thing is to find malicious browser extensions. Proceed with the following steps:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the window's top-right).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select the unwanted plugin and click Remove.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Delete unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
3. Clean your browsers
Cookies and other technologies might be used to track you. You can either reset the browser or clean it for the best results. If you want to perform this step automatically, which would be undoubtedly much quicker, we recommend employing ReimageIntego maintenance utility.
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
- Click on Menu and go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and services.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Under Time range, pick All time.
- Select Clear now.
4. Scan your device with security software
Regardless of whether you found anything by following the steps mentioned above, you should always employ SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes, or another reputable anti-virus to check your system for malware. Most malicious programs, especially those that are designed for spying or generating hidden traffic, are programmed to be stealthy. This means that they might not have a visible application window or might not be found within the installed apps folders. Security software can scan the hidden locations and remove the infections quickly, along with all malicious files and processes.
Tips if you have interacted with the Rediroff.ru scam
There could be an array of scams that could be spread via the website, so we can't give precise advice for your instance. However, here are general tips that should reduce the probability of serious consequences of such actions, such as identity theft or being a target of further phishing campaigns:
- If you have paid for anything at all through your bank, contact it and explain what happened, the transaction might be reversible;
- Change your password for the account if you have revealed its details. Remember: do not reuse passwords;
- Employ powerful security software that would protect you from unexpected cyber-attacks;
- Closely monitor your online expenses and ensure that your bank details are secured.
How to prevent from getting adware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.