RedRum virus Removal Guide
What is RedRum ransomware?
RedRum ransomware – a dangerous threat holding the meaning “murder” when its name is read backward
RedRum ransomware is a dangerous computer virus that appends the .redrum extension to each locked component
RedRum ransomware is a notorious virtual threat that gives 24 hours to contact the crooks before files are permanently gone or the decryption key's price raises. Malicious actors threaten the victims that their data will be lost to speed up the ransom payment process. The malware adds the .redrum appendix to each locked component and provides the decryption.txt ransom message which shows up on the computer's desktop and also is copied to each folder including encrypted data. RedRum ransomware insists that communication should be made within one day and the victims should write via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if there is no response from the other side. The crooks try to scare their victims in all ways possible. These people claim that all files are locked by using a strong cipher, that the process is irreversible, and using any type of third-party decryption software will bring only more damage to the encrypted data.
|Danger level||High. This virtual parasite is capable of infiltrating systems unknowingly and locking all important data that is found on the computer, installing additional malicious products, compromising system components, etc.|
|Appendix||Once all the files and documents are locked by using a unique algorithm, the .redrum extension is added to each filename to mark all encrypted data|
|Ransom note||All ransom demands and threatenings are placed in the decryption.txt ransom note|
|Demands||Even though the crooks do not provide the exact price that needs to be paid, these people urge for the payment to be made via 24 hours, otherwise, files will be permanently gone or the price of the decryption software will increase. The hackers also urge to contact them via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Distribution||Ransomware infections are most likely to spread by using phishing techniques such as email spam and their malicious attachments, software cracks that are found on p2p networks, and fake software updates|
|Removal||You should get rid of the malware ASAP once you discover it on your Windows computer. Employ only reliable automatical software for completing the process as manual elimination might bring more damage to your computer system|
|Fix||If the malware has damaged some components on your computer system, you can try fixing them with software such as ReimageIntego|
RedRum ransomware can initiate multiple malicious activities once it reaches the Windows computer system. First, the malware ensures that is can successfully launch within every computer boot-up process. Additionally, the parasite might run a module that searches for encryptable files once in a certain time period.
Continuously, RedRum ransomware can harden the decryption process for the victims by executing specific PowerShell commands and deleting the Shadow Volume Copies of encrypted files. This malware targets all types of data, including databases, executables, PDF documents, audio, video, images, Word documents, and other components.
RedRum ransomware is a notorious parasite that gives 24 hours to pay the ransom, otherwise, files will be permanently lost or the ransom price will increase
Once RedRum ransomware locks all this data, the criminals safely store both encryption and decryption keys on remote servers where they are kept in reach only for their original authors. This way the hackers also decrease the victims' chances of recovering their encrypted documents and files completely on their own.
Moreover, RedRum ransomware might be capable of permanently damaging the Windows hosts file. If this happens, the victim will be forbidden from entering security-related websites and forums and receiving useful information about the malware's removal and the encryption process. However, this is still not a reason for following these demands:
FILES ARE ENCRYPTED:
All your documents, photos, databases and other important files have been ENCRYPTED! Do you really interested to restore your files?
If so, you must buy decipher software and private key to unlock your data!
Write to our email – email@example.com and tell us your unique [redacted 8 uppercase hex] We will send you full instruction how to decrypt all your files.
In case of no answer in 24 hours write us on additional e-mail address – firstname.lastname@example.org
FAQ FOR DECRYPTION YOUR FILES:
* WHATS HAPPENED ???
Your files are NOT DAMAGED! Your files have been modified and encrypted with strong cipher algorithm. This modification is reversible. The only way to decrypt your files is to purchase the decipher software and private key. Any attempts to restore your files with the third-party software will be fatal for your files, because would damage data essential for decryption !
Note !!! You have only 24 hours to write us on e-mail or all your files will be lost or the decryption price will be increased!
RedRum ransomware is quite a scary virus to be dealing with but you have to overthink everything twice before making any decisions regarding the ransom demands. Our suggestion would be not to fall for these urges as you cannot know if the criminals are telling the truth or just trying to scam you and will leave you with an empty bank account.
Of course, RedRum ransomware developers urge for Bitcoin cryptocurrency as these types of transfers ensure that the process will stay anonymous and untrackable by the police. Instead of following the demands, you should try other data recovery alternatives that we have provided at the end of this article.
However, RedRum ransomware removal is the first task you need to complete here. You will not be able to properly recover your data when malicious strains are still active on your computer. For the elimination, employ only reliable antimalware programs that are capable of dealing with such advanced threats.
Additionally, if you find it hard to remove RedRum ransomware from your Windows machine, there might be some malicious processes that are trying to stop you. For this purpose, you should boot your computer system in Safe Mode with Networking or activate the System Restore feature (all instructions are added to the end of this article).
RedRum virus - ransomware that gets distributed via cracked software, email spam, and malicious software updates
RedRum ransomware is a notorious cyber threat that might be capable of installing additional malware to your computer system. This is why it is important to clean all possibly-infected locations. Besides, if you discover any corrupted objects in your computer system, you can try fixing some of them with the help of a tool such as ReimageIntego.
RedRum ransomware is a nasty threat to recover from and you need to ensure that your computer is properly protected for the future. Also, do not forget to keep your future data safe too. You can purchase a portable USB drive and store all important files there. This way the content that is inside the device will be reachable only for its owner – you.
Malware distribution relies on phishing techniques
Cybersecurity specialists from NoVirus.uk state that ransomware viruses are capable of spreading through multiple locations. However, the most common malware distribution sources are known to be the following ones:
- Email spam. When the crooks pretend to be from reputable shipping organizations such as FedEx/DHL and drop phishing email messages claiming to hold “order information” or something similar. The email usually never comes alone and includes an infected attachment or hyperlink where the ransomware is hidden.
- Software cracks. There are many peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent, The Pirate Bay, eMule, and others that are illegitimate and offer downloading cracked video clips, games, movies, and other types of products/services. These types of networks often get hacked and there downloading links become compromised by bad actors.
- Malicious updates. If you are visiting a third-party website and encounter an offer to update your Flash Player or another type of software, this might by criminals trying to trick you into accepting the pending update which truly appears to be the ransomware-related payload.
Now that you know the main ransomware distribution sources, it is time to learn how to avoid these parasites from interrupting your computer's safety. First of all, make sure that your entire system is secured with a strong antivirus program that includes a lot of protective features and is regularly updated. Second, avoid opening email messages that give you some type of concerns, do not download any attachments before scanning them with antimalware software.
Continuously, use only legitimate and trustworthy sources for downloading/installing your wanted software and services. Avoid p2p websites and especially do not click on their provided downloading links. Furthermore, you should be careful while provided with an offer to update a particular program. If the upgrade has risen a concern in you, you should visit the app's official website and check out for newly-released updates only there.
RedRum ransomware removal tips
Ransomware viruses are dangerous infections that need appropriate elimination, otherwise, there is a big risk that the malware will repeatedly show up after you boot your computer. RedRum ransomware removal should include the cleaning process of all possibly-infected locations such as the Task Manager, Windows Registry. Some infectious components might also be placed in the User's folder or in other similar directories.
However, you should remove RedRum ransomware only by employing automatical software. Trying to get rid of the ransomware on your own might result in additional machine damage. You can also try discovering all infected products with the help of software such as SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes. When all the affected system components have been discovered, you can try repairing them automatically with a tool such as ReimageIntego. There is no 100% guarantee that it will work but you might be able to recover at least some of the damaged system.
Getting rid of RedRum virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
To diminish malicious activities on your Windows computer system, you have to reboot to Safe Mode with Networking. Accomplish such a task by completing the following.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove RedRum using System Restore
To disables bogus processes on your machine, you should use the below-provided instructing steps and boot your computer system via System Restore.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of RedRum. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove RedRum from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by RedRum, you can use several methods to restore them:
Employ Data Recovery Pro for file restoring purposes.
Use this type of software if you are looking forward to restoring some files that have been encrypted by the ransomware virus.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by RedRum ransomware;
- Restore them.
Use Windows Previous Versions feature for data recovery.
If you have enabled the System Restore feature already, you can give this tool a try.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Using Shadow Explorer might help you with file recovery tasks.
Try this software for recovering some of your files. However, make sure that the ransomware virus did not eliminate or destroy Shadow Volume Copies of encrypted data first.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Currently, cybersecurity specialists are working on the decryption software.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from RedRum and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.