ScreenSaver.app – macOS-based adware that is programmed to promote a fake search provider searchbaron.com
ScreenSaver.app is categorized as adware that targets macOS computer systems and promotes searchbaron.com. This fake search engine is known to provide search results from another legitimate provider – Bing by employing Amazon AWS Service. Furthermore, this is just a small part that ScreenSaver.app might be capable of. Adware programs are known for their advanced advertising skills that force various pop-up notifications straight on the user's computer screen and cause redirects during browsing sessions when web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari get infected.
|Type||Potentially unwanted program|
|Mission||To promote other potentially unwanted applications such as searchbaron.com via Amazon AWS Service|
|OS-based||This suspicious application targets macOS computer systems and appears in the Applications folder|
|Web browsers||You might find browser helper objects in browser apps such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari|
|Deletion||Use anti-malware software or make use of manual removal guide below|
|Optimization||To recover from PUP infection and ensure your Mac is running smoothly, use Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego|
ScreenSaver.app virus can appear in the Applications folder of a Mac machine and even create its own folder named “ScreenSaver”. Afterward, the adware hijacks browsers and installs major changes in the homepage and new tab search sections. Also, the program might add suspicious extensions, add-ons, and tracking objects.
Collecting non-personal information is another activity highly promoted by ScreenSaver.app and similar adware. The developers use browser cookies to track information related to users' online sessions and habits. The adware might be able to record data such as the IP number, saved bookmarks, websites entered, links/ads clicked, etc.
Afterward, ScreenSaver.app might use the information for delivering targeted advertisements. Do not be surprised is you get loaded with various offers to purchase rogue security software, just decline all of them. Besides, be careful not to get lured in various technical support scams or surveys/questionnaires.
Some parties provide surveys that require entering personally-identifiable information. We recommend avoiding any type of content that comes from ScreenSaver.app as there is no chance that it would be reliable. Besides, do not provide sensitive data to bogus sources as you might experience identity theft in the upcoming future.
ScreenSaver.app removal is the best option here to prevent unwanted activities from continuing. Removing the PUP might be an easier task if you scan the entire system in search of suspicious content first. After that, we recommend you employ Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego to ensure best results after the infection.
Continuously, you can successfully remove ScreenSaver.app from your macOS and web browsers by carrying out the process in manual technique. Scroll down to the end of the article and there you will find manual guiding steps that should help you to get rid of the ad-supported application by yourself.
ScreenSaver.app - adware that can create the "ScreenSaver" folder in Applications
Avoiding adware is necessary if wanting to ensure full system stability
Injection of PUPs might decrease your computer's safety level as together with an adware program alongside comes the risk of highly-developed infections such as trojan or ransomware-related ones. However, in order to avoid third-party apps, you need to gain knowledge on how do they reach the targeted computer system. According to research, there might be several ways for a PUP to land on a machine/device:
- Software bundling. A lot of third-party developers employ this deceptive technique so that it could work for their own needs. Bundled freeware comes together with the adware and sneaks into the computer system when the user opts for the Basic/Recommended installation option. To secure your downloads, change the configuration to Custom/Advanced.
- Third-party ads/links. There are many unsecured sources all over the Internet that might promote suspicious applications by attractively advertising them. Avoid clicking on questionable content that is provided to you on the web.
- Fake updates. If you are a frequent visitor of third-party networks, you might be provided with fake adobe flash player upgrades. Do not get tricked by such content and if you ever get concerned about some type of software update, you can check it online.
- Software cracks. If you like downloading products and services from p2p networks and various torrenting websites, you are very likely to end with an additional PUP. Skip these types of pages and get your software only from reliable sources and trustworthy developers.
Additionally, you should employ an AV tool for ultimate system protection. Choose reliable software to secure your computing and browsing work automatically. Antimalware products are able to block access to malicious websites, alert when something bad is happening, and prevent suspicious threats from reaching your machine.
The removal process of ScreenSaver.app from macOS
You can remove ScreenSaver.app from your macOS machine with the help of antimalware products or by using step-by-step guidelines that have been added to the end of this article. Keep in mind that the adware might fill your browsers with unexpected material that also needs to be eliminated in order to get rid of the cyber threat properly.
ScreenSaver.app removal requires full attention of the user and at least a little bit of experience in the cybersecurity sphere. According to experts from LosVirus.es, it is necessary to clean every part of your machine and browser, otherwise, the ad-supported application might renew itself within the next start process.
If you think that you would not be able to uninstall ScreenSaver.app virus from your computer on your own, you should employ antivirus software and let the tool to complete the task for you. The result would be much more effective.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove ScreenSaver.app, follow these steps:
Remove ScreenSaver.app from Mac OS X system
To clean your macOS computer from suspicious programs, perform the following tasks
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for ScreenSaver.app or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Get rid of ScreenSaver.app from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
To erase unwanted content from Mozilla Firefox, carry out these steps
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select ScreenSaver.app and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete ScreenSaver.app removal.
Eliminate ScreenSaver.app from Google Chrome
To free Google Chrome from questionable components, try out the following
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select ScreenSaver.app and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete ScreenSaver.app removal.
Delete ScreenSaver.app from Safari
To delete questionable products from Safari, complete these guidelines
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for ScreenSaver.app or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete ScreenSaver.app removal process.