How does Search.arcahol.com virus affect the computer?
If you are a Mac user, you shouldn’t think that your Mac device cannot be affected by potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) or viruses. In fact, Search.arcahol.com browser hijacker namely targets Mac users only. As the name of this hijacker suggests, it has something to do with the indicated URL. In fact, this program sets this URL as default homepage as well as default new tab page address. This site looks entirely malware-free and secure to use, and even if it is not malicious itself, we do not recommend you to search via the search engine that this site provides. It appears that this search engine has been developed with a plan to implement pay-per-click advertising scheme and advertise websites that belong to third-party companies. This search engine functions just like Search.polebeary.com, which was created for the same purpose.
Questions about Search.arcahol.com virus
The above-mentioned search engine delivers results that are slightly altered. Not all of the search results are genuine and contain links to corresponding websites. If you clicked on a forged result, you would experience a redirect to a random third-party site. Search.arcahol.com redirects users to various websites in order to promote them and make them more popular, but unfortunately, not all of these sites can be trusted. Some of them might promote vague applications or infected software updates, or try to coax personal information from you. Needless to say, you should stay away from such sites. To sum up, this browser hijacker cannot enhance your browsing experience, and it only worsens the performance of your computer and your Internet browser. It is clear that it was developed to be a tool that generates revenue, and it was obviously not designed to be useful for a regular computer user. Therefore, we advise you to remove Search.arcahol.com and rely on a different search tool instead. You can run a system scan using ReimageIntego and delete components of this hijacker automatically, however, we have also prepared a manual removal guide for you as well.
How does this program spread?
It is very doubtful that computer users would like to find and install such potentially unwanted programs by their choice, and no wonder why it is nearly impossible to find their download links online. Developers of such potentially unwanted programs utilize installers of other free programs to promote their products. They bundle several programs together and create software packages, which are widely known as software bundles. Such package looks like a single program, and only its setup wizard can tell you that a few additional applications will be installed along with the main program. However, you still need to know where to look for this information. We advise you to select Custom or Advanced settings in order to see what additional programs are added to the primary program and if you see some, deselect the permissions to install them. It is not recommended to install software with Default/Standard/Basic settings (which are typically auto-selected for you), as they do not provide the possibility to adjust components of a software pack.
How to solve Search.arcahol.com redirect issue?
If you do not want to experience redirects caused by Search.arcahol.com virus anymore, you have to uninstall the browser hijacker that initiates them. By uninstalling this program, you will also remove Search.arcahol.com from your browser and then you will be able to change its settings again. You can delete it from your Mac using the anti-malware program, but you can also remove it manually. You can find links to download reputable anti-malware solutions, and also Search.arcahol.com removal guide below.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Search.arcahol.com virus, follow these steps:
Eliminate Search.arcahol.com from Mac OS X system
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove Search.arcahol.com virus from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for Search.arcahol.com virus-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove Search.arcahol.com virus, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to Search.arcahol.com virus and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the Search.arcahol.com virus-related entries.
Remove Search.arcahol.com from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Search.arcahol.com virus and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Search.arcahol.com virus removal.
Delete Search.arcahol.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.arcahol.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Search.arcahol.com removal.
Uninstall Search.arcahol.com from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.arcahol.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Search.arcahol.com removal.
Get rid of Search.arcahol.com from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Search.arcahol.com or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Search.arcahol.com, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Search.arcahol.com removal process.
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.