Description of Search-select.co app
Search-select.co virus is advertised as a browser add-on that is compatible with Chrome browser. According to the description provided by authors of this potentially unwanted program (PUP), this tool simplifies the search routine by allowing the user to choose which search engine to use from a drop-down menu. However, we must warn you that this program can significantly decrease the quality of your browsing sessions, as it is an ad-supported program. The first thing it does is that it inserts Search-select.co value into homepage and new tab page settings in Chrome, and makes this site as a default search provider. You should know that results powered by this site can be slightly modified and filled with third-party links. If you are a security-minded computer user, then you probably know that clicking on random links and visiting vague websites can lead to serious problems.
Questions about Search-select.co virus
This program is assigned to “browser hijackers” category due to stealthy infiltration method that it uses to get inside the victim’s computer. However, it is not hard to delete this threat from the system – it is harder to identify that it is a browser hijacker, since the page that it sets as the homepage looks completely normal. Beware that by using the search engine it provides and clicking on the search results you risk being redirected to questionable web pages, where you can encounter suggestions to install free programs, update the ones that you already have, or participate in online lotteries. Remember that such offers are likely to be untrustworthy and may lead you to serious problems such as data leakage or computer infection. We do not say that every link that is provided via that site is dangerous and poses a threat, but you should stay alert and keep in mind that it is better not to trust them. If you want to remove Search-select.co from your browser, do not bother going to browser settings and trying to adjust your homepage manually. To gain the access to do it, you must complete Search-select.co removal first. This can be done with a help of Reimage program.
How does this program spread?
You can download Search-select.co redirect virus directly from its developer’s site or find it on Google Chrome store. You can also install it alongside other free programs, but many computer users do not know that. They cannot understand what was the cause of Search-select.co hijack, and they think that it is a malicious program. That is not true. When you download a program and launch its installer, check the installation settings. Select Advanced or Custom parameter and deselect all checkboxes next to suggestions to change your homepage, add new programs, toolbars, and similar content. Then finish the installation.
How to remove Search-select.co?
Search-select.co virus can drive people insane because there are no worrying signs of a computer infection once it hijacks the computer. The user might even start thinking that changes in browser settings were made by the browser itself and that there is nothing to worry about. However, if the homepage changes without your intervention, it can mean only one thing – a browser hijacker has been installed, and it has altered browser settings the way it wanted to. To undo these changes, you have to delete it from your computer. You can remove Search-select.co redirect virus using the anti-malware program, or delete it manually. If you want to opt for the second Search-select.co removal option, follow the guidelines that are provided below:
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Search-select.co virus, follow these steps:
Erase Search-select.co from Windows systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Search-select.co and related programs
Here, look for Search-select.co or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Search-select.co from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Delete Search-select.co from Mac OS X system
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Search-select.co or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Search-select.co from Google Chrome
Find Search Select extension in Chrome settings and delete it.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Search-select.co and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Search-select.co removal.