Winlog.exe is a malicious executable that steals personal information and secretly mines crypto for cybercriminals
Winlog.exe (which stands for Microsoft windows log service) is a process that indicates malware presence on the system. The file, which is running in the background, is responsible for mining Electroneum cryptocurrency without users' permission. Consequently, victims suffer from constant slowdowns of the machine, frequent error messages, high CPU usage, and similar adverse effects. Experts are to determine which ways the parasite is spread, but they believe that adware bundles and backdoors are the most likely culprits. Winlog.exe malware can also gather and send out information about the device since the communication between a remote server and the host is established immediately. The virus is populated into the
|File name||Microsoft windows log service|
|Main goal||Mine crypto, obtain information|
|Symptoms||High CPU usage, and other minor signs like program crashes, error messages, browser redirects, etc.|
|Distribution||Software bundling, malware-downloaders|
|Elimination||Use reputable anti-virus software|
|Recovery||Run system scan with Reimage to repair your computer after the virus infection|
The malicious payload of Winlog.exe is installed into the ProgramData folder, along with many other files and launched via Winlog.bat – a file that contains the information the malware should use when mining cryptocurrency illegally.
Once the malicious program is executed, it creates multiple entries in the Task Manager, under such names like timeout.exe or Cmd.exe. However, not many users will immediately know where to look for these processes. Nevertheless, victims can observe other symptoms that are typical of Winlog.exe cryptominer infection:
- Extremely high usage of CPU for a prolonged period of time;
- Stuttering or lagging video games or video playback;
- Unexpected shut down of various programs in operation;
- Unexpected system shutdown due to overheating;
- Frequent errors or blue screen of death;
- High electricity bill;
- Redirects to suspicious websites, etc.
However, some users might confuse system errors or high CPU usage with malfunctioning software or hardware, not realizing that they are infected with Winlog.exe virus. Thus, the best option is to scan the device with reputable anti-malware software to be completely sure.
In case your virus scan result turned out to be positive and Winlog.exe removal was successful, we recommend you also use Reimage to recover from virus damage quickly.
Beware of what you are installing – installation wizards might be injected with malware
While the internet is becoming a much safer place when comparing it to 20 years ago, it is by far not a completely safe place. Malware authors are often hosting viruses on malicious sites or even legitimate ones that they managed to compromise. Therefore, being careful when browsing the web and installing new applications acquired from the internet is a must.
The fundamental rule of cybersecurity is the security software and other tools, such as Firewall, and Internet Shield applications. While security tools are an excellent start to protect most users from infections, it is by far not enough.
If you want to avoid malware, follow these easy pointers:
- Install system and software security patches as soon as they are released;
- Beware of phishing emails. While email providers often use built-in scanners, not all malicious emails are blocked and might end up in your inbox. Do not open attachments or click on links located inside;
- Use ad-blocker when visiting high-risk sites (we suggest you keep ad-block on at all times bu use exceptions for trusted sites you want to support);
- Scan every executable or questionable URL using tools like Virus Total;
- When installing new software from the internet, always pick Advanced/Custom installation mode to avoid extra programs that are bundled with the desired application.
Terminate Winlog.exe virus with the help of security application
If you suspect you could be infected with a virus, it is time to eliminate it. To remove Winlog.exe virus, you should download and install comprehensive security application. Be aware that not all tools can detect all types of malware, so you might have to try out several options before you succeed.
Additionally, the functionality of the trojan might interfere with Winlog.exe removal. In such a case, you should enter Safe Mode with Networking – a safe environment which disables most of the processes and only loads the most necessary drivers and services. Once there, launch a security application and perform a full system scan.